cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Family Locator and iPhone

17 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Sprint Family Locator and iPhone

I dissagree with find my phone being super accurate. I purchased another phone exspecially for that option however when I received it and set it up, the first time i tried it, the phone was right in the house with me and it said it was 5 miles away. I then gave the phone to my granddaughter to take home and i tried it again and it said it was still 5 miles away. being that i couldnt use this phone for what i needed it for I ended up just giving the phone to my granddaughter to use herself. i need an aternative that was as accurate as the family locator. I cant get family locator on my nexus.

Journeyman

Thanks so much for the info - I will check it out!

>^,,^<

Journeyman

I absolutely agree with everything you just said.  I bought my daughter an Iphone and discovered the inability to locate it as soon as we got it but all of my other children have non iphones so I keep the plan.  Life 360 is a free locator service that is actually better and it gives a location history but locating the phone every 15 minutes around the clock.  That way, you know not only where your child is, but where they have been. 

It also shows you where predators live, right on the locator map. 

The iphone has an app called Find My Phone.  You can find the iphone on your computer within seconds and its super accurate. 

Go to www.icloud.com and register the phone, then you turn on some settings switch on the phone and it works.  Its free and easy.

Life 360 works with all phones.

I have both of the apps so if one is down the other works.

Journeyman

First of all, there is currently no statement on the Sprint Family Locator page stating that there may be a problem locating iPhones. When I got my daughter an iPhone, I received no notification that Family Locator might not work properly with it!

Sprint should be notifying users of Family Locator that this is an issue. I can't imagine how many problems this has created between kids & their parents! I started thinking my daughter was turning off her phone's ability to be located! I also thought several times when it did locate her, that she wasn't where she said she was. Fortunately, she's a pretty good kid, so I kept it to myslef while I investigated. I eventually found that when we both were at home, I could locate myself (& my cheap, Sanyo, "un-smart phone") down to what side of the house I was sitting in. Then I would try to locate my daughter, and it would give an address more than a mile away, with a 1.2 mile circle around it. The weird thing is, she could be at home, or at a friend's house many blocks away, and it kept giving that same address! Before I realized it would give that same location while she was sitting in her bedroom, I thought she knew someone at that address that she wasn't telling me about - I even did a reverse lookup to see who lived there. Then, when I realized it was the locator lying & not my daughter, I was so glad I waited to say anything. However, I'm annoyed at how much time I spent feeling suspicious & investigating my teen's activities.

I'm sure there are plenty of situations where trust in the family is more tenuous, and kids are being accused of being dishonest about their whereabouts unjustly! I plan to cancel my family locator soon if they don't figure this out. I think it is unconsionable that Sprint is taking customers' money for this service, when they put an iPhone on the account, without at least informing the customer of the glitches! It is difficult enough to be the parent of a teen without having a tool that is supposed to help the parent keep their child safe, instead create additional problems!

Come on, Sprint - disclose this issue to parents of iPhone users before something tragic happens in a family as the result of your service causing unwarranted mistrust & unfair accusations between parents and their children.

Kat Heatherley

>^,,^<

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him,

so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 15:13

Journeyman

How do I opt out of the monthly notifications? My daughter knows I have this service, but everytime she gets a notification about it, she complains!

Also, since we got her an iPhone, we are having the some problem...either I'm told she can't be located, or I get a huge area that is of no help! We can both be sitting in our home, and if I track my phone, it shows the area of our home I am in. Then I check hers, and it shows an adress 1.2 miles away with a big circle around it!! She's a good girl, and is always where she says she'll be, but my motto is: "Trust, yet verify!"

>^,,^<

Journeyman

Hey Sprint, ever going to fix this app or should we just cancel it?

Wizard

Wizard

You can stop the monthly text message of 'phone can be located'.

Journeyman

Has this issue been resolved yet? Both of my children have iPhones and I cannot locate either of them.

Journeyman

Are there any updates to this problem?  My daughters Iphone still is only accurate to within one mile most of the time.  I got lucky yesterday and it was 858 yards while I was on the phone with her. Sprint, can you give us all an update?