cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint LTE speeds suck compared to AT&T

Journeyman

Sprint LTE speeds suck compared to AT&T

Joined Sprint on 12/26/2017 after 11 years with AT&T. Never had an issue with LTE coverage and speeds where I live (for last 9 years). But I am getting very choppy and slow LTE speeds at home and near my home. Went for a vehicle registration and was trying to use the GEICO app to show them my insurance ID and the app wouldn't even connect! Never had this issue with AT&T.

Having said that, my store salesman told me that Spring is rolling out with 5G? or some other faster network this January. Does anyone here know the schedule and when it will be rolling out in the Austin, Texas area?

Thankfully I bought my own unlocked devices on all 5 lines so I will leave Sprint in a hurry if things don't improve in the next couple of months.

9 REPLIES 9
GrandMaster

Re: Sprint LTE speeds suck compared to AT&T

does the data improve once you leave the area or does the problem follow you everywhere you go? and is the same thing happening for all the devices or just one of them?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Happening on all the devices.
I don't know what you mean by the 'area'? One mile range? 10 mile range? the city?
GrandMaster

example. it only/mainly happens at your home/work but works decently enough in other places? usually if there is a tower issue if you travel say 5+ miles in any direction you should in theory be past its range and connected to a new tower..if the problem follows then its either the phone or a larger network outage..but the narrowing down of the possibilities is the big one here.

so if you are at home and the issue is there but one of the other phones is on your account and across town and does not have any issues then its a location based issue..if something like this is the case the agent can look at the closest towers for issues and if none are showing to have issues they can report that a up close check needs to be made with specific towers.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

As I said, it cannot be an issue with the phones as I bought along my existing phones from AT&T and none of then ever had any issues. Now ALL of them have issues. 1-10Mbps download and 0-0.2Mbmps upload speeds as reported by speedtest.net on every phone. I understand the fallback is to always blame it on the device but I'm NOT buying that.

I will trave 5+ miles from my home and see if having the same issue but technical support told me there is no issue in my area and I am in a very good coverage area. I think the reality is that Sprint sucks. I will probably move to Verizon before the end of the month.

GrandMaster

i tend to lean more towards the device since you must remember that a different sim card is in the device now..so if there is a possible issue with the sim card or how its trying to read the network that will cause issues..so it can still end up being device related.

also by chance do you know anyone else with a sprint phone that is NOT on your account? neighbour? friend? and if so do they see the same things in the same places?
Journeyman

Yes, I reached out to a WhatsApp group for my entire neighborhood after switching and the consensus was that Sprint absolutely is the worst coverage and speed and Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile are MUCH better options in that order. Not a single Sprint customer disagreed.

I got suckered into the $100/ 5 lines deal thinking "really how bad it could it be?" but believe me it is REALLY bad to the point of being unusable. Thankfully I am not locked into a contract and can walk away anytime.

GrandMaster

you gotta do what you gotta do. i know for my area i get pretty stellar speeds and coverage.
Sprint Social Care

BabaLiont,

Hey! This is not the experience we want you to have, I would like to provide you with assistance regarding this issue you've been having with the service. Please check your inbox, I've sent you a private message.

Kryshna
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Sprint is cheaper than ATT so . . .
Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.