cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint TEP Insurance vs Best Buy GeekSquad

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint TEP Insurance vs Best Buy GeekSquad

I'm quite upset with Sprint over the increased cost of their TEP program and deductable. Is Best Buy a better option? I'm planning on getting an LG Optimus G, which would fall into their Tier 2 rate.

Sprint: $11/mo + $150 deductable/incident = $494 if you needed it replaced once. Let's just round to $500, $50 less than the cost of buying a new smartphone of equivelent value but newer. Unless you go on CL, Ebay, etc.

Best Buy: $170 per incident (you have to re-buy the plan each time is what Sprint told me). Even at $10/mo, that's still $240 with no deductable.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Misc/null/pcmcat282400050018.c?id=pcmcat282400050018

The way I see it, BB is half the cost of Sprint. Even if you never replace or repair your phone, you're still giving Sprint $264, $94 more than Best Buy

I have had to take my phone in to be serviced 3 times last year. Each time both the speaker and ear piece of my EVO 3D had to be replaced, and because the parts were in stock, I had no deductable. Sprint said if I had not had the TEP at the time, it would have been $50 per repair.

I'm very careful with my phones. My EVO barely has a scuff mark.

So, what have your experiences been like with Best Buy? I'm keeping my old EVO 3D as a back up if I ever do need to repair with Best Buy, so that way I don't have to pay a refundable deposit on a loaner phone from Best Buy.

Thoughts? I have 5 days until I can renew my contract. Right now I have enough to pay for Best Buy's plan upfront, which is an added bonus because as a grad student I rarely would have $150 up front to pay for their deductable.

31 REPLIES 31

Re: Sprint TEP Insurance vs Best Buy GeekSquad

ilyac5,

Thanks for your post. Both choices offer protection for the phone in the case something should happen to it. Asurion, which is the insurance provider through us and also the provider for all the major carriers, has increased the price as the costs of these device have gone up. One difference between the two is, to my knowledge from the research I did, Best Buy's insurance does not cover the device should it become lost or get stolen, wherareas Asurion does cover that. Thanks!

Dan

Sprint Social Care Team

Wizard

ilyac5,

Thanks for your Community Post. I understand that you are trying to evaluate if you should go with TEP or the protection offered by Best Buy. I've personally had great experiences with TEP. It covers if my device is lost, stolen, broken, or damaged, of course with me paying the deductible, and when device its working proficiently, I simply run into a Sprint Store and the techs fix it. As for as cost, I understand that Best Buy protection is less expensive however, does it cover if you simply need some basic troubleshooting completed? Also, what's the turnaround time for the device to be replaced? TEP usually overnight's you the replacement device, and you may conveniently file a claim online. Additionally, TEP also attempts to recover your lost device by using GPS technology to locate it. Simply meaning if it’s found, you avoid paying a deductible altogether. I am Team TEP. Good luck with your search.

Thank You,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Master

Correct, BB Protection only covers the phone if you still have it in your possesion. No Phone, your SOL.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

Basic things can be taken care of depending on the phone. For instance, the LTEVO, no one has parts for that phone. Here are a couple scenarios I've personally experienced or been privy to.

Scenario, Charging port goes belly up.

Sprint: If you have TEP, a replacment phone is ordered. This could be a refurbished phone or new phone depending on what's available. Could even be an inferior phone if nolonger available. Usually overnight, but not always and you get to keep your phone until the replacement arrives.

BestBuy: If you have insurance, you leave your phone and a new (not replacement) phone is ordered. A loaner phone is provided for the 3-5 days it takes for the new phone to arrive. I've seen as long as 7 days.

Scenario, Phone crushed to oblivion.

Sprint: If you have TEP, pay deductible and phone is ordered. This could be a refurbished or a new phone depending on what's available. Could even be an inferior phone if nolonger available. Usually overnight, but not always and you get to keep the pieces until the replacement arrives.

BestBuy: If you have insurance, you leave the pieces of your phone and a new (not replacement) phone is is ordered. A loaner phone is provided for the 3-5 days it takes for the new phone to arrive. I've seen as long as 7 days here as well.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

They only do not cover lost/stolen phones or full submersion in water. But, neither of those has happened to me. And for Sprint to replace a phone entirely, well I'm guessing there are some hoops to go through. I take good care of my phone, my current one has one scratch on it.

All I have had to get done on my phone is replace the ear piece, microphone, and antenae. That's about $50 for each repair according to the Sprint store I went to.

Best Buy said with their insurance it would cost nothing, and turn around time is about 3 days. Best Buy also uses GPS technology to recover the device, they have their own equivelent app to Sprint's Protection App.

So bottom line, I've read through Best Buy's protection plan, the fine print, and even spoke with 2 reps online, and as long as I don't go swimming with my phone, I'll be fine. Yes, Sprint covers a lost/stolen/drowned phone, but Sprint also charges you $500 for it over 2 years vs Best Buy charging you $170-$220 depending on the phone, and no deductable, and no limit to number of claims. You give them your phone, they give you a new one, refurbished or otherwise.

I'm going with Best Buy. Same service, same phone but cheaper than Sprint (it was on sale for $50, vs $100), and nothing changes with my plan other than I save $11 a month.

And if I do have a problem with Best Buy, well like I said, I have what I said in writing from them.

Journeyman

I really believe that your math is wrong ...

Now ... I'm not that sure about BB ... so i'll talk a about Sprint: $11 * 24 = $264. That's the deductible for 2 years. Now, it will cost you $264+$150 =$414 to get one replacement phone in 2 years. Also keep in mind the following thing: you're the most unlucky person in the world, and the first time you drop the phone. You get a replacement, 3 months after you get mugged ( yeah, that is kinda extreme - let's just say that you loose the phone ). So you'll file a 2nd claim for the phone, bringing the total cost for 2 phones and 24 months subscription at $564 ( where only the price of 1 phone is $550 ).

About BB, the 24 mo protection plan is $160, but i'mnot fully sure on what exactly they cover. Plus, if you live near a bestbuy and afer you'll do the math, stay with that ... keep in mind that you'll need to take it in the BB for S&R.

ilyac5,

Thanks for your reply. Some of the details you have down regarding our plan are incorrect. In terms of repairs, there would be a charge only if you do NOT have insurance. If you have TEP on the phone, there is no charge for any repairs. Additionally, the replacement process is really simple and can be done over the phone or online. The replacemnt device is overnighted to you so you won't be without a device for long should something happen.

Also, the cost for the TEP service would not cost you $500 over 2 years. You would be looking at $264 and the piece of mind that should anything happen to your phone, you'd be covered. Thanks!

Dan

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

I admit my arithmatic was off. Still, $264 is still $90 more than Best Buy. And repairs don't cost anything there either. Sprint does cover lost/stolen phones and complete submersion in water, but that's where the deductable comes in. Even losing the phone once it's still $414 ($264 + $150 = $414).New phone costs $550 (for tier 2), and usually you can find one online for half the cost.

Both plans cover repairs at no cost to the policy holder, both will replace destroyed phones. Sprint has the additional features of including water submersion, loss/theft. But it doesn't make sense to me to pay $244 more for an event that is unlikely to happen as long as you litterally hold onto your phone.

Losing phone - GPS tracking. Good semeritans. Security apps that track it. Both services offer this with the insurance.

Theft - GPS tracking and you can file a police report

Water damage - just don't go swimming with your phone and don't drop it in the toilet.  

As for the peace of mind, both offer it. When Sprint had the $8/mo and $100 deductable, that was pushing it because then your replaced phone would cost you $292 ($8x24 + $100). Both services have unlimited claims on repairs but sprint limits 3 claims per year on replacing the phone vs repairing it. Best Buy just gives you a phone.

So yes, if you are prone to leaving your phone laying around, or you are forgetful of it being on your person at the pool/beach, then the $244 extra may be worth it. If Sprint had a one time deductable then yes, the plan would be considered. But when you compare to the same level of service, it just doesn't make sense to me to pay Sprint the extra money. I already pay $10/mo for 2 years of a service I never used (4G) but that's a whole other conversation.

I'd love to hear from some people who have used the Best Buy plan, the posts on forums I have found are from 2010-2012 and maybe things have changed?

Sprint DID do a good job repairing my phone, but that was due to manufacturer defects, not wear and tear. If both services cover wear and tear the same way, why not go with the cheaper one

Journeyman

I agree 100%.  Peace of mind is one thing, but didn't we just have an increase not too long ago?  The trend is, phone prices gouge us more and more year to year, as does the insurance now.  90% of the time I can use nothing BUT 3G on my phone, as it can never seem to find 4G service and just KILLS the battery, but Sprint is readily accepting my mandatory $10 per month, and we don't get anything back for NOT being able to access this feature (yes, I know the $10 is for "Data" etc) but when it takes 20 minutes to watch a 2 minute video on youtube it kinda kills that joy as well.....you'd figure that would count for something and allow insurance prices to at least stay steady for some length of time.  At the rate it's going ($1 increase before, and now another $3, right?), and I am just talking about the premium alone, in another 3-5 years we will be paying $20 a month and I know people whose AUTO insurance isn't much over that.

Furthermore....why has Spint/Asurion not looked deeply into what auto insurance companies are now doing and basing rates/deductables on someones history?   Myself and the other members of my plan have NEVER had to file a claim for a new phone.  The only replacements ever needed were defective devices, as has been 99.9% of any services ever needed under "TEP."  Not to mention, most of that has been within the first year of having a device and should fall under the manufactures warranty anyways.  So basically, "peace of mind" has done nothing for me and my family aside from cause more of a financial burdon, and lose hard earned money to companies making plenty as it is.

Journeyman

Well I had the privilege of dealing with the TEP stuff today. My phone (a refurbished replacement from Asurion) is having a charging issue it any time the cable moves the phone will stop charging. I took it in to a sprint/repair store they opened it and they told me the phone had water damage , the only way they could tell was the paper indicator on the inside. I haven't had near any water in any water or even in the rain, my only guess is the phone wasn't repaired properly. When I received the phone I noticed there was screen burn in but everything else worked. If i stay with sprint I probably wont get the TEP plan because you have to trust a companys QC department on whether you can receive a repair in the future. Come to think of it If I had water damage how would my phone still be working.

Journeyman

This is a little bit older but Im replying for anyone who may come across this. I currently have Geek Squad Protection on my iPhone which has come in handy since I have had mechanical issues with my phone multiple time however I wonder if it is just the refurbished phones that come from GeekSquad City that are continuing to fail. I pay 14.99 a month for insurance on my iPhone which over time can be costly. I did one time have water spill my iPhone and went into Bestbuy which said it wasn't covered, went to another BestBuy they said it was covered. Bestbuy does not really have this magical GpS tracker if you loose your phone its an apped called Locked and Found that you must download yourself and attempt to locate your device yourself. If you can not find it you will be out of luck while they attempt to sell you another cellphone. I personally don't mind best buy bur they are always ready to sell you a new phone rather then troubleshoot for you. As for Sprint TEP I loved that I could go into a store they fixed my phone or where able to swap it out and I rarely had to pay a deductible unless it was something considered physical damage. When I decide to upgrade I think Ill head to BestBuy for the phone and Sprint for the insurance . There seems to be too many loopholes when using Geeksquad protection , Ive seen people wait 2-3 weeks for a phone at BestBuy because it was backordered. So hopefully people make the right decision.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.