cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Messages just disappeared???

Highlighted
Journeyman

Text Messages just disappeared???

Last night ALL my text messages just abruptly disappeared. No, I did not accidentally delete them...in fact I use Handcent and wasn't too worried as I still have the stock messenger on the phone which usually records a duplicate...BUT, ALL of those are gone too!

I use my phone for work so having my old text messages is actually a huge value for me...I know there is a massive data outage/shortage issue going on right now, but any thoughts about whether I'll get my texts back? I've tried uninstalling Handcent and reinstalling because my phone is set to back up data from apps and restore when reinstalled but it did not bring back the messages. UGH!

I do have a whole phone back up on my computer but have no idea how to put it back on my phone or whether or not the messages are even in the back up files...ANY help would be appreciated...

3 REPLIES 3
Wizard

Re: Text Messages just disappeared???

Handcent is most likely your issue. Its a craptacular app at best and has been known to wipe all messages or even send random messages that you don't want.

Basically they are gone unless you have an online sync for SMS\MMS. What I would suggest for the future in searching the market for a app that will back up your text to your Gmail account. My kids use one of these and it keeps all texts in thread view for easy reading.

Journeyman

While I don't think Handcent is the be all end all text app, I really DON'T think it's at fault here because the stock messenger was depleted as well...something that hasn't ever happened before (when I did have Handcent issues). It just seems to me this is some sort of network issue...because it directly coincided with having serious difficulties sending and receiving text messages...and when I called the support line (*2) the pre-recorded message acknowledged the service/data "issues".

Wizard

A network issue would not delete messages off your phone. If you look at the permissions Handcent requires you will see that it can do anything it wants with messages. When you installed it you gave it full permission to delete any and all messages.

Again once a message has hits your phone it's there until deleted by the user or a rogue app.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.