cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total Equipment Protection with unlocked note 8

Highlighted
Journeyman

Total Equipment Protection with unlocked note 8

I am trying to figure out if I should get the samsung premium care or keeping my Total Equipment Protection.

I had filed a claim with ASRION (TEP insurance) for my note 5 which unfortunately they weren't able to fix my device. So they send me a replacement device that was marked "REFURBISHED BY ASRION" in the back. 

So my question is if i ever need to file a claim with TPE. Would it be a sprint phone or unlocked phone if they weren't able to fix the same device ?? 

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello AirWick219. We hope you are doing well today. In case that you need to file a TEP claim and the phone is replaced, you will receive a Sprint phone. Keep in mind that TEP and TEP Plus can help you avoid large out of pocket expenses to get back up and running, you can also check out the insurance FAQ's here> http://bit.ly/1pFyO3g .

Palmira
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

Yea .. Same thing as the Samsung premium care. I only have to pay the deductible if it's an accidental damage claim. 

Also I have experience in the past with the note 5 when TPE took a week of turn around time before I get my phone replacement. I was pretty much phone less for that week. From what samsung premium care sounds like in the FAQ. http://www.samsung.com/us/support/premium-care/faqs/#_Toc478398249

They offer in person swap that they will send someone out right away with a replacement phone if that's needed.  

As far as the cost. It's 11.99 per month which is comparable with sprint. I will get a replacement unlocked phone instead of a sprint locked phone. But the only thing is samsung premium care doesn't cover thief or lost. 

Highlighted

AirWick219. That is correct, if your phone is lost/stolen/damaged or it malfunctions, you would still have to purchase another phone for possibly the full retail price and the deductible is significantly less than the full retail price of the device. I understand completely that you need to make the best decision and TEP Plus is the best option for you.

Palmira
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

Also, keep in mind, with TEP from Sprint, you can go into any Sprint Repair Center for tech support. Without it, I believe each visit is like $30.

As for the Unlocked vs Locked. It would be dependent on whether the phone was secured as part of a phone contract and whether the terms of the contract have been completed. If the terms of your contract haven't been met, then it will be a locked (to Sprint network) version until that happens. Otherwise, it would just be a Sprint phone that's already added to the Sprint database for activation. Whereas the Samsung one could get you a phone that isn't part of the Sprint DB and would require it be added before you could activate it. However, they may ask who your carrier is before supplying you with the replacement to alleviate that concern.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted

Thanks for your responds. 

Let me clear up one thing about Unlocked vs locked sprint phone. Maybe i should call it world phone vs sprint phone. I actually don't care about wether or not if the phone is locked or unlocked. Sprint is always very good about unlocking my phone for traveling purposes so that i can use a local sim. However, Sprint samsung phone actually does not support some of the bands 

Here is an example, for my note 5 sprint modal (SM-N920P) 

According to here 

https://www.frequencycheck.com/models/AraW5/samsung-sm-n920p-galaxy-note-5-td-lte-32gb-samsung-noble

The supported LTE bands are 

LTE Name Interface

B2 (1900 PCS)LTE
B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1)LTE
B5 (850)LTE
B12 (700 ac)LTE
B25 (1900 +)LTE
B26 (850 +)LTE
B41 (TD 2500)LTE

But according to this 

https://www.frequencycheck.com/countries/hong-kong

The lte band supported by carrier in Hong Kong available are 

LTE Name Interface

B3 (1800 +)LTE
B7 (2600)LTE
B8 (900)LTE
B40 (TD 2300)LTE

What that means it that when I travel to Hong Kong, The phone does not even support any of those available lte bands and i can only use 3g which is unuseable...

However, I found this issue only happens on sprint samsung devices, My mother uses an iphone and it supports pretty much all the lte bands around the worlds. So I was not sure whether or not it is a business decisions from samsung or sprint to purposely not include those bands.  

Highlighted

what smotrs is saying is if you get a replacement from say Samsung the unlocked version will not start out in Sprints database..so it would end up needing to be added as did the one you currently have..which means you would be down for roughly 3 days while that is being processed. that would be the big difference between the two. the only thing you would receive from Asurion would be a Sprint version of the Note 8.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

Well... malfunctions is covered from the samsung premium care just not the lost and stolen. But yea I currently have the TEP+ with my plan right now and i have filed a claim before so I awared how important and the benefit of having it.

I need to do some more research and thinking about it. Because both plans have their pro and cons.

I do want to be able to get a replacement "unlocked world phone" if things were to happened. But I wouldn't be covered for lost or stolen with samsung premium care. On the other hand, if I pick the TEP+, I am have 1 chance if the phone is not fixable, it will become a sprint phone but I am covered for lost of stolen. 

Highlighted

check your pm here in a sec
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

@fireguy_6364 Thanks for your response. 

According to https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung-Note-Series/Note-8-Pre-launch-Info-and-Questions/m-p/971223#...

"Samsung will sell an unlocked version beginning 9/15/17 and available directly through Samsung.  That phone will be eligible for BYOD activation on Sprint.

So I am guessing the "down for roughly 3 days" is what the general processing time for the BYOD activation on sprint ??  If that means i am able to have a note 8 that supports all the 4g lte everywhere i go . I think that might be worth it. 

Highlighted

correct. that is just the rough time it takes to get a device that has never been on that specific carriers network.

@Dj_Damjano you have the unlocked version right? how long did it take for yours to get added in?
Highlighted

its the same deal if you brought in a device from another carrier and or one of the Nexus phones purchased directly from Google..
Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.