cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does connection optimizer do that my phone doesn't already do?

Journeyman

What does connection optimizer do that my phone doesn't already do?

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I leave my WiFi on all the time.  When I'm home the phone automatically switches to WiFi.  When at work, it switches to work WiFi automatically too.  I leave connection optimizer off, since I don't understand what value it provides.

The description says that Connection Optimizer automatically selects either 3G/4G or WiFi depending on speed.  My phone already does that though automatically, so what's the point of this option? 

-Martin

11 REPLIES 11
Wizard

Re: What does connection optimizer do that my phone doesn't already do?

SfMartinW,

Thanks for the post. Here is some info we have on the optimizer.

• Sprint has deployed a feature called Sprint Connections Optimizer on select devices, which: 
    • Turns on Wi-Fi or 4G radios at pre-specified locations and times of day. 
  • Finds home Wi-Fi and work Wi-Fi possibilities and prompts them to setup and remember networks making auto-connection simple once network is remembered in Settings > Wireless & Network.

Why would customers want to turn on Wi-Fi? 

• Preserves up to 50% battery life by using less power when connected to Wi-Fi than when using data on the Sprint network. 
    • While connected to Wi-Fi, devices use less power during data sessions, which can help save battery life. 
    • Achieve improved in-building coverage with faster data connection speeds. 
    • Reduced mobile data usage charges for phones, laptops, and tablets not on unlimited data plans. 
    • Ability to use the same Wi-Fi capable phone when traveling internationally allowing you to connect for data applications at the airport, hotel or satellite office.
  • Talk and surf the web at the same time 
    • When connected to a Wi-Fi network, customers experience simultaneous voice and data sessions.
  • Connect easily to available networks in the area. 
    • Gives opportunity for best network selection so customers don’t have to think about what to do if they can't get a connection or have slow speeds. 
    • Note: It may be necessary to accept terms and conditions when connecting to a Wi-Fi network. 
    • Once you identify a free or pay internet connection, there is no additional fee from Sprint to use this feature.
  • Devices with Sprint Connections Optimizer will scan at various times to assist in Wi-Fi setup or automatically connect to a customer’s remembered networks. 
    • Prompts customer to set-up home Wi-Fi or work Wi-Fi possibilities, making auto-connection simple once network is remembered in Settings > Wireless & Network
    • Devices will only connect to unsecured wireless networks if those open networks have been specifically chosen. 
    • Customers can choose to forget remembered Wi-Fi networks via Settings > Wireless & Network.
  • In a small number of locations on the Sprint network, the feature may auto connect to 4G for short durations to improve data throughput at that location 
    • Pro-active management of 4G connections where available may benefit the user experience with a faster connection speed.
  • If a data connection is unsuccessful, the Wi-Fi or 4G radios will return to previous state. 
  • Customers can temporarily override automatic connections by manually setting the Wi-Fi or 4G radios to on or off.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Master

Victor provided the long version.

The short version is that it manages your connections in a way that prolongs battery life and increases the users experience.

If your not aware, in the past, leaving all your connections on would drain your battery relatively quickly. For instance, when WiFi is turned on it will constantly update in the background letting you know that there are network connections available. Even when your no where near a known connection. So as your driving down the road, your phone is seeing all sorts of available WiFi networks because it's turned on. This constant polling can kill your battery pretty quick. And the 3G and 4G does this to to a certain extent. With Connections Optimizer running though, it doesn't poll as often so you can leave all your connections (except BlueTooth) turned on and depending on which connection is providing the best service, it will switch automatically.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
GrandMaster

not to mention it actually has a memory..which ever wifi spots you have stored to your phone it will usually pick up on those once in that area and turn itself back on. i HIGHLY recommend turning off the alert notifications for new connections for wifi though..or it will still try to connect you to every one you drive by lol

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Master

Almost as bad as a little kid in the back seat, "are we there yet? are we there yet? are we there yet? ..."

Well, maybe not as bad, at least you can shut the phone up.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

its basically a way to get your data usage offloaded from the network whenever possible, and also saves you some battery in the process

Wizard

smotrs

Sorry for that. I wanted all the details put out there just in case someone went looking for it and wanted all the info on it. . I hope I didn't put anyone to sleep with this. LOL

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Master

Victor, not at all. My only issue with the full blown explanation is that it can get confusing if your not familiar with it to begin with. It's just a little over whelming I think. Which is the only reason I posted the short answer. 

--

GrandMaster

sometimes simplicity is the easiest and least confusing route

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

smotrs,

You might be right. I appreciate your attention on this and helping Sprints customers with providing the info. Between you and I. There really shouldn't be any questions about this subject. We should be able to lock this bad boy down. Thanks again for your input.

Victor
Sprint Social Care.

Journeyman

It is a nice concept in theory, but terrible execution.  It DRAMATICALLY reduced my battery life on my s3 after updating to 4.1.2 I could not get through half the day without my battery being 20%.  Turned it off and now I am back to where I was,  about 60-50% at the END of my work day.

GrandMaster

i know that having the wifi notifications on nails the batery pretty fast..aside from that i havent ran into any issues with it personally

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.