cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?

Journeyman

Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?

I live in Kentucky and we do not have 4G. I don't understand why I am paying for a data plan + $10 for having a smart phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2.

13 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?

Hello LovellHateMe,

Thanks for your post. We have the $10 premium data charge for smartphones to provide an unlimited data-usage experience across the network including 3G and 4G. The charge isn't specifically for 4G usage. We are however working diligently to roll out our 4G in the entire footprint of our 3G service. You can see the official explanation of the premium data charge here: http://bit.ly/REFbnK

Thank you,

*Chris

Journeyman

Chris,

Do you think maybe it's a bad idea to be quoting the 4G party line when the phone in question will not be able to connect to 4G (LTE)?

Wizard

Chris explained it just fine. I don't know what you are talking about.

Wizard

SA_Viper43 wrote:

Chris explained it just fine. I don't know what you are talking about.

Maybe, since the GS2 doesn't even have a 4G radio in it, he's talking about the fact that someone who isn't even using a 4G LTE capable device speaking out about 4G not being in their area yet.

Journeyman

For clarification: the Samsung Galaxy S II can access 4G Wimax, which was thinly rolled out by Sprint and since abandoned in favor of 4G LTE.

Unless some other carrier decides to implement Wimax in the area the original poster (OP) lives in, which I doubt, considering Sprint was  pretty much the last holdout on the LTE bandwagon, then he will never get 4G reception on his phone.

If someone sold the OP that phone with the promise that 4G was coming to his area, then he could concievably claim fraud.

Wizard

The $10 covers the extra data demand that usually accompanies a smartphone. 4G has nothing to do with it. My account typically runs about 3.5GB per month in data usage on a bunch of 3G iPhones, which tells me 3G doesn't have any problem pulling down a bunch of data. If it makes you feel any better, other carriers have the same charge, and it's higher.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The fee was rolled our initially for 4G Wimax connections then rolled out to all 3G smartphones. That is unfortunate because I cannot get a reliable Wimax coverage here at home and 3G is very, very slow here. Premium data fee for slow, non existant data.

Journeyman

I agree.  Initially, the fee was accessed for having a 4G phone.  I got a HTC Evo 4G because Sprint said they were expanding 4G and the cost is only applied to 4G phones.  A few months later, they started to charge the $10 fee to all phones 3G and 4G.  To this day after 23 months, I am still waiting for some kind of 4G service.  This is the reson why I will be soon switching to Verizon or AT&T.  If I am buying a 4G LTE phone, I expect it to work from day 1, not 1 year from now.  I would rather pay the higher monthly fee for good service.  Sprint is #1 is customer service.   It is also #1 in loosing customers.

Wizard

Karim_Abdullah wrote:

I agree.  Initially, the fee was accessed for having a 4G phone.  I got a HTC Evo 4G because Sprint said they were expanding 4G and the cost is only applied to 4G phones.  A few months later, they started to charge the $10 fee to all phones 3G and 4G.  To this day after 23 months, I am still waiting for some kind of 4G service.  This is the reson why I will be soon switching to Verizon or AT&T.  If I am buying a 4G LTE phone, I expect it to work from day 1, not 1 year from now.  I would rather pay the higher monthly fee for good service.  Sprint is #1 is customer service.   It is also #1 in loosing customers.

The phone works, dude. You bought a 4G LTE phone, and were able to make phone calls and surf the network on 3G speeds...just because you aren't getting the speed you think you should be getting DOES NOT mean the phone doesn't work...so saying the phone "should work from day 1" is blatant disregard for the facts.

Fact is, you were made aware of the network before signing an agreement. Fact is, the phone works, you just want it to work a certain way...and you're embellishing the truth as to sound like you got took.

Some of this has to fall back on the customer,  you don't go buy a car without knowing nothing about the manufacturer or what kind of gasoline would be used in the car..no other purchase anyone makes is done so in blind faith and everyone who makes a purchase usually is informed, whether by research beforehand, or by finding out during the purchase. Playing little red riding hood after the fact is neglect on your part to do your part as a consumer..not Sprint's fault because they can't roll out 4G fast enough to suit you.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.