cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

straight to voicemail

Highlighted
Journeyman

straight to voicemail

This morning, I received a call from a relative.  My phone never rang, but I received a notification from visual voicemail that a message had been left.  I played the message, and then checked my incoming call list, and found no record of this call, although it is still in the voicemail list.  As a test, my wife called my phone, and it rang normally. Why are some calls shunted directly to voicemail, and how can I shut off this "feature"?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Master

Re: straight to voicemail

Sorry for the inconvenience.The issue is not related to voicemail as the voicemail service is working to accept the call and leave a message. 

• Possible causes: 
    • Out of coverage. 
    • Phone has not been turned off and back on which may result in the phone location not found on the network while in coverage. 
    • Poor indoor and outdoor coverage. 
    • Traveling in and out of Sprint network coverage. 
    • Using data services at the time of the call while in 1xRTT coverage. 
    • Unconditional call forwarding set. 
    • Sprint Direct Connect in use at time of call.

I would suggest you to powercycle the device and udpate the profile.

Abe

Highlighted
Journeyman

Abe thanks for the rapid response.  Unfortunately, most of the suggestions in your message don't apply.  I was sitting at my kitchen table, not traveling or roaming anying, nor was I using the phone's data services.  In fact, my wife placed a test call 2 minutes after the voicemail was received, and the phone rang normally.  Obviously call forwarding was not on.

Regardless of why the call from my cousin was sent to voice mail, why doesn't it show in the missed call list?

Ellis

abe2020 wrote:

Sorry for the inconvenience.The issue is not related to voicemail as the voicemail service is working to accept the call and leave a message. 

• Possible causes: 
    • Out of coverage. 
    • Phone has not been turned off and back on which may result in the phone location not found on the network while in coverage. 
    • Poor indoor and outdoor coverage. 
    • Traveling in and out of Sprint network coverage. 
    • Using data services at the time of the call while in 1xRTT coverage. 
    • Unconditional call forwarding set. 
    • Sprint Direct Connect in use at time of call.

I would suggest you to powercycle the device and udpate the profile.

Abe

Highlighted
Master

Hello.  If the tower your phone is servicing from is "full" at the moment when the call comes in, it will be directed to VM since there are no available channels to deliver the call to your phone "at that moment."  Another cause of "rolling to voicemail," is a faulty radio in the device so the connection to the tower becomes intermittent and eventually fails completely but can also create this symptom since there will be instances when the phone is not connected to the network. 

If this is an isolated event, then it can be normal "once in a while" to get a voicemail only notification from various causes.  If it's happening frequently, the next question would be, a single location or everywhere.  For a single location, external factors maybe creating the problem such as interference induced indoor coverage issues, which creates intermittent ping failures to the tower making your phone invisible at that moment; or capacity issues on the tower where there are no available channels when the call comes in.  For an everywhere issue, it typically points to the device as being faulty.  Our Sprint Service & Repair Centers can run an RF test on your device to determine if the latter is the case.

Tom Deaver

Sprint Tech ~ Sprint.com Communities

Available ~ Friday, Saturday, Sunday

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.