cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Product Ambassadors: Sharp Aquos Crystal - Drop Test! Oh no!

Sprint Product Ambassador

Ohhhhhhh yes...

There's definitely some bad karma around posting a blog about a drop test, when the drop test was "accidental" in nature.  Let's just cover something that should be a MAJOR restriction whenever you are handling ANY new device:

**Do NOT put it in the front pocket of a HOODIE**  Those front pockets are SO convenient, and so big, and hoodies are so baggy, that you forget you have stuff in there... until it ends up in the wash, or in the dirty clothes hamper or falling from 4 feet to your hardwood floors as you pull your hoodie off.  Ok... disclaimer posted**

So that's how it happenned.  I had it in my hoodie pocket, and pulled the hoodie off as I was getting ready to go out to run an errand, and sure enough, I heard that all too familiar >>THUD<< of a phone falling on an edge or corner as I was pulling the hoodie over my head.  I looked down and the phone was lying face down, which always seems to happen every time I drop a phone (I wonder if that's by design? maybe OEM's consulted with cats or something...). So when I picked it up, I had that coin flip feeling, and fortunately, it was OK!! 

If you haven't seen the device, here's what it looks like without a case and with a case.

IMG_20150116_163919.jpgIMG_20150116_163752.jpg

The case pictured is the Townshop case, which I picked up on Amazon.  The jury is out on this case, and on cases in general for this device.  With a device that has ZERO bezel, and more specifically for functions that are built in to the edge of screens, this case seems very clunky and gets in the way of the on screen and edge functions.  HOWEVER, in terms of being protective, it is very sturdy, and also comes with a kickstand, which makes it easier for video calls or viewing.

Although it did not break on the fall, I feel like this device is screaming for its screen to crack if you don't put a case on it.  And if you do, then it feels clunky and OVERDRESSED.  So in summary, perhaps this phone is only for certain types of users, and that would be users who rarely if ever drop their phones. 

Still... it is VERY pretty, and the edge to edge screen is amazing!

D

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee