cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tri-Fi Overheats??

Journeyman

Tri-Fi Overheats??

I'm loving my tri-fi; it works great in town and around interstate.  I've noticed that on occassion it will shut down because of an overheat error message.  Has anyone experienced this issue? 

2 REPLIES 2
Journeyman

Re: Tri-Fi Overheats??

I have not experienced this with my Tri-Fi but did with my Overdrive (the original, not the Pro). I do have a couple of tips to help. First, as the unit is black, make sure it is not in direct sunlight, or it will heat up quickly. This is a problem with almost every road trip, as I need to put the unit up on the dash for best signals in marginal areas, but then the sun heats it up, it stops charging, and eventually just gives up from the head. The second tip is to force it to 3G only for the duration of the car travel. At least witht the overdrive, it valiantly tried to find 4G signals, running the 4G radio at full power, and that heats the unit up faster than 3G.

Journeyman

Re: Tri-Fi Overheats??

I have had it happen to the TriFi if the device needed to charge when I plugged it in to the vehicle.

I now have the device constantly connected to power whereby never using battery unless I need to take it from the car. It has been working (on 24/7) for a week now without overheating and we've had a few days near 100F which means inside the truck has definately been hotter than that.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat