cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Securing Your New Slate 8 Tablet (With Smart Lock) - Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

Securing Your New Slate 8 Tablet (With Smart Lock) - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, I always see locking my screen as a bit of an inconvenience.  I know I should do this by routine but more times than not I just avoid the entire process (for the sake of speed) and I really need to stop. If you are anything like me, a simple solution might be much closer than you think and it’s in the form of an Android “Smart Lock”.

Now Android “Smart Lock” is not exactly exclusive to the Slate 8 and going back through my collection on phones, I see it on several past devices I’ve owned.  However, I can honestly say the Slate 8 has been my first real motivation to look at “Smart Lock” and here’s why...  A tablet unlike my phone is not always strapped to my belt. I like to keep a fairly close eye on it but it’s just not always as tightly controlled as I would like it to be.

Last week I decided, no more excuses.  I need to lock this device down.  I’m going on a trip soon (where the Slate 8 is joining me) and that’s all it would take, losing my Slate 8 somewhere between here and Atlanta to really make me learn a tough lesson.  So anyways, it’s decided.  First I go to my security tab, where I set my PIN (I prefer those) and then I see it in the options… “Smart Lock”.  Hmmm. On the Slate 8 there are four options Trusted Devices, Trusted Places, Trusted Voice and On-body Detection. 

The Trusted Devices option was just what I was looking for.  Basically if the Slate 8 is associated and in range of a certain Bluetooth device, the screen lock is disabled but if the Slate 8 walks away (out of range) of the Bluetooth device  or if the Bluetooth device is ever turned off, the screen lock is enabled and now secure as it should be.

Awesome!  Since I use my Motorola Buds exclusively with the Slate 8 nowadays (by the way, they work awesome) this was the perfect candidate and testing these for a week has truly proven a good solution for me and my travels. ( I especially like having the control to just turn the buds off in case I feel a need to more tight security).

For those of you who are more of a home user, you might also consider using “Trusted Places” which uses your geographic location to enable or disable screen lock (So if you set your home address, as long as you are using that device within the range of that preset location… no unlock needed).

“Trusted Voice” also might be a good option for fans of “OK Google” and “On Body Detection” which supposed to detect if a device is held or carried (locking once placed down) could also provide value to those looking for options and customization when using “Smart Lock”.

In conclusion, check it out and see if it’ll work well for you and your Slate 8.  Security doesn’t have to be inconvenient and the Slate 8 gives you lots of ways to keep your device private and locked up when not in use.

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.