cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slate 8

0 Comments

As a member of the Product Ambassador Team for the Slate 8 launch, there has been a lot of discussion around who the device would best serve.  Obviously by looking at the specs, it’s not a high end device, but by no means is it slouchy.  The display is sharp enough to watch full movies in HD, and it can handle a few different accounts for social media or email.  However, there has been a lot of talk around the device being a nice alternative for kids.

Here’s my concern about kids in this day and age: patience is no longer a virtue, so any slip in performance that translates to lag, or delay, or overall less than smooth performance will at minimum create a slew of complaints, and at its worst will cause users to just stop using the device.  That said, I think that if you can be selective with what you install, your kids will have a GREAT experience with this device.

Need For Speed - Rating: Not happenning.  There is just too much going on with this program.  The processing power that’s needed to have the program run correctly is just too much for the device.  There is a LOT of delay between screens, and although the game play is mostly good, it can be choppy when there’s a lot of action going on.

Marvel Contest of Champions - Rating: Try it and see… There is also a lot going on with this game, but the gameplay is much smoother.  What I have noticed is that the app can freeze when you move between screens, so you can probably get a few fights in before the app freezes.  Try it if it’s the only thing on your tablet, but beware that it may freeze on you.

Smashy Car - Rating: How can this be laggy?  The game is basically a rated G version of GTA, but without the guns and drugs.  You would think that with the pixelated, blocky graphics, that it would never have any lag or delay.  However, it does tend to lag, glitch, and outright freeze here and there.  All the same, when it’s working, it’s quite fun, and looks great on this screen.

Angry Birds - Rating: IT’S GOOD!!  No lag.  No delay.  No performance issues. It’s a GREAT game, still fun, and there’s no drop off on the fact that it’s a few years old. 

Moral of the story?  Maybe a little less is more with this tablet.  Try not to overload it with the high end 3D graphic games, and you will probably have a good experience.  BUT… if you get a game in there that requires a lot of processing power, you should expect varying degrees of dropoff in performance.

Enjoy!

D

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

I am sure by now most of you have seen this tablet in the stores, or have read enough of the blogs by the PA group that you pretty much have a basic idea of what this tablet can really do for you or your family. So I will quickly summarize it for an easy read

1. This tablet is a mid-tier inexpensive option for anyone who just wants to use it as a media consumption device (watching videos, reading books, maybe a few games, etc.) Do not expect to work on it to write long term papers or for a mobile work environment. Not saying it cannot do it, it just isnt optimized or built for it.
  2. It is quite sturdy in the kiddos hands. This is one of the tablets which I would not mind giving it to my kids. Due to the nice overall build quality it can take a little bit of a beating, but still a nice protective case would be preferred. Unfortunately, options are limited in that area due to its unique branding and Sprint only specs, so look for generic options.
  3. As I just mentioned in #2, accessories like cases etc are limited, but other Bluetooth keyboards and headsets work just fine. It is small enough to sneak into your bed to catch up on those last episodes of whatever it is you like to watch before going to bed
  4. The cameras, both front and back are just good enough for your basic needs. Most people do not take pictures with tablets anyway, so it is mostly used for video chatting and for that purpose, this is just fine.
  5. Additional storage is available via micro-SD which is a really nice thing. However please use Class 10 or better cards and refrain from knock offs on eBay, etc. This is one place paying a bit more will make your life easier in the long run.
  6. Battery lasts for ever! ok that is a stretch but it does last quite a bit. I have not done some objective tests on timings, but this guy, lasts 3-4 days for me with normal use e.g. 1-2 hours of video and general email checking throughout the day. That is on LTE and Wi-FI combined.

that is it in a nutshell. We hope that you, the customer who is in the market for an inexpensive solution for your media needs, or for a gift will consider this as a viable option.

Until Next Time

-- Your Product Ambassador Team

"Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee."

0 Comments

slate-2.png

A low cost, reliable, durable tablet with an always-on connection is hard to find. I am here to tell you that you've found it. You child can learn, study and play on the go and without breaking the bank. A great Christmas present with the built-in parental controls can be used as a great learning tool and a great companion for any child.  As of the late, my 5 year old is stuck on the “Gus on the Go” app. The app allows the child to interact with any number of languages. The child can tap, tilt, speak and swipe their way to learning a new language. This app is particularly good to create a very immersive environment where the child learns and has fun while on the go. Between youtube, gus on the go, and the thousands of other apps your child can be educated and entertained while you run your errands.

Thanks for reading!

"Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee."

0 Comments

slate-2.png

Perfect size for small hands and with a clear HD 8" screen for your youtube addict to enjoy. Sprint's blazing fast network and always on connectivity allows your youtube addict to stay connected on to his favorite’s youtube channels and the small size of the tablet allows for it to be taken away and put away into a purse when that same youtube addict gets too addicted.

Thanks for reading!

0 Comments

You must be a nerd (I know I am) to get excited when you wake up and see a notification for software update for your device. This morning, I received that notification for the Slate 8 and this is the one I am hoping would make this tablet much more stable and a tad bit faster. So here are some steps on how to check and update your tablet.

Wake the device up. Make sure you have around 60%+ battery though.

Run over to settings

Then hit System Updates

Tap Check for Update

Screenshot_2015-11-18-09-43-35.png

Then Download Now

Screenshot_2015-11-18-09-43-41.png

Then the tablet will download the update. Make sure you are on WiFi

Screenshot_2015-11-18-09-43-49.png

Hit Install Now and you are done!

Screenshot_2015-11-18-09-44-47.png

This update although not very big in the download department, will take 10-15 mins to install so if you are planning on catching up on some flix, you may want to wait till you are done.

Comment back and tell us if the update made any significant changes in your usage of the tablet.

Until Next Time

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Final Impressions of New Slate 8 Tablet - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, it’s never easy finishing up with a device.  I mean, you live with it, you learn to love it, find the little quirks that make it special and then **poof** you have to move on to your next device.  That aside, I think my time with the Slate 8 has been nothing but enjoyable. The Slate 8 is kinda like my co-pilot and always at arm’s reach in my car.  It’s seems to hold a good charge and even after a couple days of idle time it springs back to life like an ever reliable friend (a couple days later).

On the Sprint network, there really are no boundaries.  Whether I’m at home or on the go, the Slate 8 is my perfect channel to communicate with the world.  It still amazes me how I can be sitting on the beach and streaming video with clarity that put my high school “home theater” setup to shame.  With the Slate 8 accepting rather generous sized micro SD cards, you can seriously save countless photos, videos, downloads and other content.  I personally like having that ability in situations where Airplane mode is required. I can proactively download several full movies from my Ultra Violet library and have them ready for offline viewing, without any need for network connectivity.

The 8” Screen is plenty generous for most every task you might encounter.  Using it as an e-reader gives you a screen size that is pretty much up to par with a standard paperback novel and the clarity, illumination and zoom will likely have you second guessing why printed media still exists. I’m so excited to travel with a tablet now and honestly, I’m not sure why I ever hesitated.  Back when I was younger, I thought having a Gameboy was nothing less of magic but now with tablets, my mind is blown even further (Not to mention not needing to consume a case of AA Batteries for a couple hours gameplay). 

If you are on the fence on whether you should get into a cellular tablet, the Slate 8 is certainly a good way to get your feet wet and with promotional pricing, the Slate 8 could be the Christmas gift you might be looking for.    

untitled.png

-Rob Ignatowicz

Sprint Product Ambassador

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.

0 Comments

The other day my spouse was searching for his tablet and picked up my Slate 8 instead of his “fruit” tablet.  “Wow’, he said, “This tablet feels solid. Does it work like mine? Can I view my shows on this?” Which of course, I definitively replied, “Yes”.

He booted up the device and was impressed with the screen and launched into the *flix app and then on to his daily work with web ad postings.  He loved the idea that he could use the Sprint cellular network and not require the use of wifi only. With the Sprint LTE, it was as fast as he experiences with the wifi only tablet he normally uses. As we walked out the door he enjoyed the fact that he could continue to post to his site the pictures and descriptions of what he was selling. Then his final surprise was the ability to launch the KC Chiefs live broadcast to see their awesomeness at the Denver stadium Sunday. #ChiefsWinByAMile

One often wonders if you NEED cellular service and I would express that it is indeed a feature that is helpful when on the go. Heck watching the demise of the Broncos was / is worth it!

This Slate 8 tablet is a great entry into the tablet market and if you are searching for a gift for your tween or first time user of tablets, this is a great one. You have access to all the great Android apps and the tablet is a great size for reading articles, books and watching shows as well as keeping up with the social world.

Check it out at here along with a few other great solutions for tablet shopping. http://sprint.co/1P0LS1o

"The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint.

0 Comments

Sprint every year launches a couple of tablets that are low cost and pair nicely with Sprint's data plans. The Slate 8 is one of these new tablets for 2015. This tablet is a decent mid-tier device that won't help your write your next Pulitzer contending article, or that term paper for your research in college, but it is a fairly good tablet for kids to enjoy in their downtime or during a car ride when visiting the parents.

So my most favorite... or actually my kids most favorite apps for this tablet are the following, and they hold up just fine on the Slate 8

YouTube

This is a no brainier. Every Android devices comes preloaded with the YouTube app. And as most of us would agree, this is by far the most widely consumed video source out there, that happens to be free. Naturally my kids do watch a lot of cartoons on this app. YouTube recently launched the kids version that filters out any bad videos for kids as much as they can. So I have to say this is the best app for this tablet for kids. Download the kids version here.

Netflix (App link)

If you are the subscribing type, Netflix is the second best video app out there. And as you would like, they also have a kids version or portal to weed out any unsavory content for the kiddos. However, my kids do not use this app as much, instead they are very happy with the one mentioned above, so I wont spend much time here.

Stickman Football (or any other Stickman games)

My son loves football and when he learned there is a kids version of a football game on Android from his friends, he would not stop talking about it until I downloaded it for him! This game is a LOT OF FUN and I myself am hooked on it. It is the easiest football game I could find, and not only that, this company has a whole host of sports games on the same platform. So check it out. Just one thing though, it is AD driven and you may not have control over which ones are shown, so I just disable data while my son is playing, and eventually paid the $3 or so to get rid of them. Well worth it!

Starfall

My daughter loves this one. Starfall just launched a host of apps for pre-K and my daughter just cannot get enough of this. And it is kid safe, I mean why wouldn't it be? It is great to teach your toddler the ABC, 123, etc. Give it a shot.

I am sure there are many others one could argue are good for their kids, so discuss in comments if you like. But these apps are mainly what my kids use on a regular basis and this tablet is happy to play them without any issues.

Until next time

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

0 Comments

Having a small tablet is fabulous for e-reading, quick posts on social media, and bingeing on your favorite stream. But despite the Slate 8 being smaller and lighter than big brethren, it sometimes is still a little gangly to handle with one hand. Not to worry, though, there are accessories for that.

20151116_104726-1.jpg

I went to Amazon and picked up a 3-pack of device grips called "LoveHandles." I've seen similar items called "Fly Grip," "Go Strap," and other names. Just search around for "one handed tablet hold" and you'll find them. The "LoveHandle" is basically a flat, elastic strap attached to a thin, solid back-plate that attaches to the tablet via 3M self-stick tape. The key selling point to me was that the handle lays absolutely flat when not in use. Thus, it doesn't get in the way when I toss my Slate 8 in my backpack. I placed my "LoveHandle" at a 45 degree angle, which helps me hold the tablet in both orientations - portrait and landscape.

20151116_104712-1.jpg

After you purchase a one-hand hold accessory you'll love how easy it is to hold your device with one hand. It won't get in the way of holding your device with two hands. However, it's possible that such handles may get in the way of book style cases and folios. Make sure you account for other accessories when purchasing a handle like this.

I hope this helps you get the most from your Slate 8. Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

Securing Your New Slate 8 Tablet (With Smart Lock) - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, I always see locking my screen as a bit of an inconvenience.  I know I should do this by routine but more times than not I just avoid the entire process (for the sake of speed) and I really need to stop. If you are anything like me, a simple solution might be much closer than you think and it’s in the form of an Android “Smart Lock”.

Now Android “Smart Lock” is not exactly exclusive to the Slate 8 and going back through my collection on phones, I see it on several past devices I’ve owned.  However, I can honestly say the Slate 8 has been my first real motivation to look at “Smart Lock” and here’s why...  A tablet unlike my phone is not always strapped to my belt. I like to keep a fairly close eye on it but it’s just not always as tightly controlled as I would like it to be.

Last week I decided, no more excuses.  I need to lock this device down.  I’m going on a trip soon (where the Slate 8 is joining me) and that’s all it would take, losing my Slate 8 somewhere between here and Atlanta to really make me learn a tough lesson.  So anyways, it’s decided.  First I go to my security tab, where I set my PIN (I prefer those) and then I see it in the options… “Smart Lock”.  Hmmm. On the Slate 8 there are four options Trusted Devices, Trusted Places, Trusted Voice and On-body Detection. 

The Trusted Devices option was just what I was looking for.  Basically if the Slate 8 is associated and in range of a certain Bluetooth device, the screen lock is disabled but if the Slate 8 walks away (out of range) of the Bluetooth device  or if the Bluetooth device is ever turned off, the screen lock is enabled and now secure as it should be.

Awesome!  Since I use my Motorola Buds exclusively with the Slate 8 nowadays (by the way, they work awesome) this was the perfect candidate and testing these for a week has truly proven a good solution for me and my travels. ( I especially like having the control to just turn the buds off in case I feel a need to more tight security).

For those of you who are more of a home user, you might also consider using “Trusted Places” which uses your geographic location to enable or disable screen lock (So if you set your home address, as long as you are using that device within the range of that preset location… no unlock needed).

“Trusted Voice” also might be a good option for fans of “OK Google” and “On Body Detection” which supposed to detect if a device is held or carried (locking once placed down) could also provide value to those looking for options and customization when using “Smart Lock”.

In conclusion, check it out and see if it’ll work well for you and your Slate 8.  Security doesn’t have to be inconvenient and the Slate 8 gives you lots of ways to keep your device private and locked up when not in use.

-Rob Ignatowicz

0 Comments

Say what you will about performance… there are certain things that this device does very well.  Although the specs aren’t the top of line, the collection of hardware produces a very enjoyable multimedia experience. Couple that with high speed LTE connectivity, and you have the ultimate ROADTRIP WARRIOR!

Case in point - the 6½ hour trip from Philadelphia to Niagara Falls.  There is no warning cry so terrible and intolerable as that of a bored 9 year old asking how long until we get there.  Fortunately for me, most of the corridor between Philly and Niagara is lit up with LTE.  Only during a stretch of road in the Poconos did we find challenges with connectivity, but I chalk that up to those big mounds of dirt that call the Pocono mountains impeding my cellular signal.

Although the ride up was a mix of #YouTube, #Netflix, and #SmashyRoad, the ride home was an unadulterated non-stop Netflix binge that held up until the poor little guy couldn’t keep his eyes open anymore!  3 movies later, my youngest son was asleep for the final leg of the journey as we got back to the house after 9PM. 

Netflix held up spectacularly well, and I only heard of one “bufferring” delay on the whole trip home.  The interface is smooth and elegant, and super easy to use.  My kids are not tech savvy… they know how to use applications, but they are not troubleshooters, and don’t delve too much beyond what is intuitive and accessible.  This is the perfect description of Netflix on the Slate 8 - intuitive and accessible. 

IMHO, if you are going to use this device for a family fun device, don’t load it up with too many things.  As a streaming multimedia workhorse, I think it holds up pretty well, especially for the price!

D

0 Comments

So, you've got this $50 tablet with a bit of data now - what is it really good for?  Kids gaming!  I turned the tablet over to my 9 year old for the afternoon and as long as it didn't cost money, let him go to town on the Google Play store downloading whatever games he wanted to play.  He was quite impressed and went through the whole battery plus another backup battery before it pooped out on him.  He played all kinds of games, including Roblox and Clash of Clans.  Both worked good.  He did try one high speed racing game, but it lagged on him too much.

The tablet never overheated or ran out of memory playing any of the games he liked, and he didn't report any errors.  He're his first video review (ever!) of the gaming on the Slate 8 tablet:

Yup, definitely not an experienced video review pro, but you get the idea!  So, what's the Slate 8 good for?  Younger kids wanting to game!

- Will England

0 Comments

One of my favorite features of the Slate 8 is the superior screen.  It's a HD IPS screen, which is short for 'in plane switching'.  In a nutshell, that means you get fantastic color reproduction from all angles.  Even viewed from the side, the Slate 8 looks great.  The tablet is powerful enough to run Netflx and the Sprint LTE network is fast enough so I can watch on the go.  To keep from chewing up my data cap, I usually watch on WiFi but the kids do enjoy having the mobile video option when we're on roadtrips.

Slate8Video.jpg

Nicely enough, the battery will last for several episodes of Top Gear, like most tablets.  Unlike most tablets I've used, the color rendition and clarity of the screen is really impressive.  From cartoons to live action, you get a great show on the Slate 8.

- Will England

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. sprintemployee

0 Comments

Well, I've been flat abusing this little tablet for a few weeks and I finally got it to lock up hard.  The digitizer stopped responding to input this morning.

To rescue it, I had to simulate pulling the battery out - it's really quite easy on the Slate 8.  Just press and hold the power key for 30 seconds and the system will perform a 'forced reset', which is like pulling the battery out of the older phones.  That gives the device a chance to clear out all the stuck processes and completely restart from scratch.

Nothing is erased when you force a reset, but do go through and think about what you last installed or did - and maybe uninstall that last app or game you were playing.  The Slate 8 is a great midrange tablet, but it's not unbreakable.  I had the kids playing on it this weekend and it's possible one of their games was just too much for it. 

Keep the tablet apps cleaned up and it'll work great after the simulated battery pull!

- Will England

1 Comment

The Slate 8 is a basic "skinless" Android tablet that we're offering our customers at a fantastic discount. Being a basic Android tablet and without a custom UI that means the tablet only comes with stock Android utilities and apps. Navigating the tablet to find, edit, move or copy files around may be a bit foreign to some new tablet owners if you're unfamiliar with stock Android. Here's a quick tutorial on how to navigate around the Android tablet file structure without resorting to third-party apps or utilities.

Start by launching File Manager from the app tray:

1 - filemanager.png

Choose the File Manager app. From here you can see and navigate into the user-interactive folders (system folder and files are hidden):

2 - folders.png

Here is where stock Android is a little "wonky," you have to go "back" to see selection options for files or folders. Hit the "back" button one time:

3 - back select.png

Now when you navigate into each folder the files within are select-able from which you can copy, move, delete, share, etc.

Select the files you want to move or copy and navigate back "up" the folder structure using the "Parent folder..." icon at the top of the list to navigate to your desired folder, which will include storage on a user-supplied microSD expansion card:

4 - select files.png

Once you've navigated to the desired folder open the context menu from the vertical 3-dot button at the bottom of the window:

5 - menu.png

From the context menu choose the desired action; e.g. Copy selection here; Move selection here:

6 - menu select.png

"Back" your way back out of the folder, up the folder structure and then "back out" to your main home screen if you're done moving or editing files.

There are numerous third party apps that can be downloaded from the Play app market that makes moving files around much easier. Examples include my fave "ES File Explorer File Manager." I've heard others say they prefer "Astro File Manager." File manager apps will usually give you many more options beyond just copy and paste. But, as is our policy, Sprint does not support third party apps so download and use at your own risk/support.

I hope this has helped you navigate and get the most from your Slate 8 tablet. Until next time,

Your Sprint Product Ambassadors

0 Comments

Playing a good game on your phone is good, it offers the user a way to pass the time in-between tasks. Playing that same game on a tablet only steps up the experience. Recently I purchased Trick Shot off the play store based on the recommendation of a coworker. Within 5 minutes, I was hooked. I used to be an avid gamer on my Xbox, and PlayStation consoles. Unfortunately, since having 3 kids my gaming options have drastically changed. I am unable to devout the hours upon hours on a game that I used to in my early twenties. There are diapers to be changed, lunches to be made, floors to be clean, trash to be taken out. All in all, I miss my youth!!!!!!!!!

Mobile gaming has offered me the opportunity to play games that I love, yet be afforded the flexibility of breaking out my cellphone or tablet at any time.

HiAppHere_com_com.jonathantopf.trickshot.png

Trick Shot on the Slate 8 is very enjoyable, the beauty of a game like this is that the commitment that the player needs to make is next to none. Play one level for 10 seconds or 50 levels for an hour. You can just get the ball in the hole or you can try to achieve a perfect shot. Once all the levels are done with the user can go back and attempt those same shots with added obstacles. Trick Shot incorporates all the fun and frustrating aspects of Billiards but with unlimited shots. The novice player can keep trying to achieve the perfect shot.

The reviews in the play store highlight the quality of the game, it has 4.3 stars out of 5. Many players note this to be the best game ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6wLNTbca6A

Thanks

Stanny George

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee#

0 Comments

Music, is so important to culture. It conveys the mood of the youngsters of the current day, hence the reason why the older generation hates and doesn't understand new music.

I am late to the party since I just discovered Amazon music. I was paying for Spotify, however due to family budget cuts it had to go. I am a fan of Pandora. However the commercials I can do without.

What do I do?

A co-worker introduced me to Amazon music, I already had Amazon Prime so this was free. It was there begging me to play all the hits from my youth.

Vanilla Ice - check

Blackstreet - check

Tupac - check

Notorious Big - check

Public Enemy - check

Celine Dion - check,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, wait did I just say that? I meant Jay Z

ANSAQT80KT_LPI.gif

Headphones on or off, the sound on the Slate is good for the price point of this device.

I am no audiophile so its not a big deal to me to not being able to hear every tink of the high hat or a hidden cowbell being struck.

Whether you want to listen to the latest hit by Justin Bieber, or listen to the smooth sounds from the Chairman of the board (Frank Sinatra for you youngsters). The Slate 8 delivers for all your needs.

A lot of us already have Amzon Prime for their shipping, this is a added bonus that you're already paying for.

Thanks

Stanny George

Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee#

0 Comments

When you last heard from me, I gave the Father Stamp of Approval on the Slate 8 because my daughter and I had a really good time streaming video while riding across town.  At that time I mentioned I would be reviewing the camera next so here we go.

There are two cameras on the Slate 8.  The rear camera is 5.0MP and the front camera is 2.0MP.  As a starter tablet for children I think these specs are just right.  My daughter always likes to ham it up when we are out and about taking pictures and now she has the opportunity to take some pictures herself.  Check out the comparison of the picture taken from my Galaxy S6 & the Slate 8 tablet.

The below picture was taken with the Slate 8 tablet and provides a good picture in comparison to the 16MP camera on my Galaxy S6.  If you are looking for a tablet to take professional photos with this is probably not the right device for you.  But if you are looking to get something for your kids to get acclimated to the technology it is just right.  Especially if you consider the price.

2 Comments

Since receiving the Slate 8 tablet, I have been searching for a case to protect it from my clumsiness. Sprint doesn?t sell or offer a solution for these tablets but I assumed many other sites ? predominately online ? would. Well, I have searched by visiting a few stores in person and found some 8? cases but not with the correct openings for this particular case and its camera lens.  Then I thought I located one via Amazon. I waited for the shipment, which took almost a month before it was to be shipped. But I was patient. Ha, this is what finally arrived in the mail, a 10?. Not what I needed.

tablet case.jpg

In fact, it confused me so that I validated that I actually ordered the 8? and didn?t inadvertently order the 10?. But as you can see below, I ordered the correct one. Well, it looks like I will have to wait even longer for the correct case. I will be returning this today.

order cut.png

Good news for me, I hope, I saw this in the Sunday?s paper from Nebraska Furniture Mart. I will be dropping by to see if this would actually work. My guess is I will have to customize for the lens. I will update as soon as I purchase. Wish me luck.

nfm crop.jpg

"The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love phones. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and want to tell you what they think about them. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these phones. The information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint."

0 Comments

slate-2.png

The reason I love LTE tablets is due to the ability to stream anything I want any time I want.  When you in the car and you kids are screaming I can grab my slate 8 with LTE and stream their favorite shows for them to watch and that makes everyone happy.  Not having to depend on Wi-Fi networks to stream content makes it easier on my mind, connecting to public Wi-Fi isn’t something I like to do and the speeds are never good enough to watch a show.  So an 8” screen and LTE makes my family and I happy.  Give it a try you won’t be disappointed and the kids will be glad their favorite shows can go anywhere.

Thanks for reading!

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”

0 Comments

The Slate 8 in Competition for Man’s Best Friend - Sprint Product Ambassadors

So, this week I’m providing a brief warning for pet owners, there is a new sheriff in town and the Slate 8 tablet from Sprint, might just be the one laying down the law.  Meet Brie. Brie is the newest part of our family and cute as a button… but don’t let that cuteness fool you (she’s a handful). Unlike everyone else I’ve introduced to the new Slate 8 tablet, Brie is not a fan.  Besides the fact that the Slate 8 takes away vital attention that I should be giving her, it also gives me a large window to review Brie’s every move throughout the day. Poor Brie can’t get away with anything (and there’s no question which dog is unleashing certain chaos).

By using my existing Dropcam(Nestcam) IP Camera setup, the Slate’s 8” screen gives me a nice clear screen to look in on things.  Although my phone may hide detail sometimes, having a large 8” screen really makes the “floor detail” stand out.  It also gives me peace of mind wherever I am, thanks to Sprint’s strong cellular connectivity.

A good example where “peace of mind” quickly turned into “need for action” happened last Friday (when I had just left for the day).  Somehow poor Brie cornered herself (almost trapping herself in) by dragging her little house off one side of the room to an opposing corner of the room.  Now she 7 Lbs. and certainly has some drag strength (taking her bedding by the jaws, and pulling things over).  Obviously she didn’t consider how her push wasn’t quite as strong as her pull strength is. Regardless of the thought process, the Slate 8 certainly helped me recognize her predicament and head back home before there was any serious distress.   

Oh Brie, it’s almost like you did that on purpose. No bother though, having the Slate 8 in hand and a comfy couch to retreat to, gives me all the tools needed to shop for additional dog-proofing measures (even if that very dog is curled up unsuspectedly sleeping next to me).  Hmmmm, before guilt sets in… maybe Amazon also stocks dog treats I can order too?

Bri.jpg

-Rob Ignatowicz

0 Comments

The Slate 8 isn't going to win any awards for fastest, most powerful or highest resolution tablet.  But what it does have is a super clear IPS screen and enough horsepower to run Netflix, Amazon Prime Video or Google Play Movies.  So what you have here is a fantastic kids or back seat media device.  Or, in my case, a way to catch up on Top Gear during my lunch break!  And bonus - it's basically free for existing subscribers and only few dollars a month for new customers!

20151019_113229.jpg

Both LTE and WiFi playback kept up with the clean resolution on the tablet.  I found no lag, stuttering or buffering problems watching full episodes or jumping from clip to clip on YouTube.  I'm really impressed with the screen on this tablet - it's nicer than the Galaxy S2 tab I have. Brighter, clearer and wider angle of view.

Now all I need to do is find a stand or case for this to properly prop it up on my desk!

1 Comment

MB1.jpgMB2.jpgMovie.jpg

Over the past few years I have started building my movie collection in Google Play. I used to rent from Redbox, but I never got the disc back in time and I always ended up paying $10-$15 by the time I returned it. With Google Play Movies you can rent or buy movies and watch on any of your Android devices. I recently have been using the ANS Slate 8 which is a mid-range device. I hooked it up to the new HK Aura for some awesome sound and began testing the tablet by watching a few movies.

The sound on the Slate 8 itself is good if you did not have the external Bluetooth speaker. You can also use earbuds to get better sound as well. But if you just want to listen to it directly from the device you won’t be too disappointed. Voices in the action movies were not drowned out by the tablet speakers, but you also don’t get a lot of bass or sound options. Hooked up to the Aura the movies sounded really great.

The screen and picture quality on the Slate 8 was much better than I had originally thought it would be. Cartoons look sharp and crisp and regular HD movies look pretty great as well. An affordable tablet does not mean that it will be a terrible screen. If you compare it to the Galaxy Tab S2 you will see a huge difference, but if you are not comparing it to anything you would be very happy with it.

The great thing about Google Play Movies is that you do not have to download them onto the device. You can stream them over the fast LTE signal or by using WiFi. When I was at a band competition my nephew was able to watch Netflix over LTE and it kept him busy and out of trouble the whole time. When I am at home I switch to my WiFi and the Slate 8 has great WiFi connection strength. This tablet really is perfect for a portable entertainment machine. It can be used to keep kids busy/entertained, and you can use it for all your other needs at the same time. Watching movies can drain the battery pretty quickly, so make sure you get a travel charger when you are on the go.

0 Comments

Front.jpgMovie.jpg

Sprint has been offering a lot of mid-range 7”-8” tablets this year. The ANS Slate 8 has been put on the list and it’s a great addition. I have been using it for a little under a week now and I can say I have been impressed with the tablet. First off, you need to make sure you have the right expectations when getting the Slate 8. This is a mid-range device with mid-low specs. The screen will not blow you away, and there will be some minor issues that you run into, but overall the tablet really does well for its targeted audience.

The Slate 8 is a good sized tablet that has a little weight to it. That can be a good thing and a bad thing, depending on your activity with it. When reading a book the device can become a bit heavy to hold for a long period of time. If I am playing a game I find that I like the weight and it makes it sturdier to move around. It also feels like a good solid device that will not break if you drop it. I have not tested that theory though, so I would suggest not dropping it when you get it.

The processor is fast enough to do most tasks without lag. I have been mostly playing games and watching movies with it, and I have not run into any problems. I have not really tested out games that would push the processor though because I wanted to get a good feel for the device before I tried it out. The screen and sound when watching movies is actually pretty good. My nephew was able to watch Netflix while I was at a band competition for my niece. He took advantage of the LTE coverage here in Atlanta and the Slate 8 worked like a charm. I am looking forward to testing out the camera, and really pushing the processor of the tablet so look back to this space for upcoming blogs.

0 Comments

The world is full of Android tablets of all shapes and sizes with varying flavors of the OS as well as skins. And every year Sprint offers a handful of entry/mid level tablets for their customers to enjoy the latest and greatest content available on the internet. This year, Sprint chose to sell a tablet under their own name called the Slate 8" and I will briefly go over this tablet and its features below.

gal_463x407_3.jpg

This tablet sports a (surprise surprise) 8" IPS screen with a resolution of 800x 1280, so its got a little better resolution than 720p. Not too bad for a sub $250 tablet now.

It sports a 1+ Ghz Quad-core processor with 1 GB of RAM (it could be more) and 16 GB of user memory. It also has a microSD card that can hold up cards up to 128 GB! And weighs barely weighs 12 oz!

Oh yeah, its pretty inexpensive for a tablet sporting Sprint Spark LTE speeds. Costing $240 at full retail. But you don't have to pay that much. You could always lease or buy it on contract. But visit sprint.com for those details.

So my first impressions, quite impressive if you look at the whole package. It feels very sturdy in your hand, with a soft back that won't slip. The touch screen is quite responsive for an entry level device, and there is minimal lag if any. It comes with Android 5.1.1 which is almost the latest OS iteration available. The UI is stock Android so no bling there but that's good, as it reduces lag and is overall very responsive. You can add your own launch screen or customizations as you see fit. However the cameras are nothing to write home about, so i wont mention them too much but then again, aside from video chatting i don't see a value for cameras on a tablet.

That is all for now, stay tuned for in depth blogs coming soon

0 Comments

Adding a tablet to your account is easy and relatively inexpensive.  If the #slate8tablet doesn’t end up being free for being an existing customer, the monthly payments are $10 or less on a 2 year plan.  Additionally, data plans start at around $20 per month for a small amount of data.  But then come 2 inevitable questions: 

1. How much data do you really need?
  2. How do I manage my data so I don’t go over my “limit”?

The amount of data depends on the way you plan on using the device.  Specifically, you need to be aware and honest with yourself about how often you will use the device OUTSIDE of the range of a Wifi connection.  If you have access to Wifi, you should use it.  That said, if you plan on using it to read your email or light news and txt based updates, you may be able to get away with 1GB of data, so long as you are not downloading attachments or streaming music or other media over your cellular data connection. 

Once you start to add multimedia content, such as movies, photos, music, social networking content, etc., your data usage will spike SIGNIFICANTLY. 

Screenshot_2015-10-26-11-39-56.png

I do NOT recommend a data plan to be used EXCLUSIVELY for video unless you have an extensive budget.  Mobile data can be expensive, and video, movies, & music can quickly deplete any monthly data allotment you have if you are exclusively viewing over a cellular connection.  HOWEVER, IF it’s necessary, there are mobile data plans for 8GB’s that you can add additional data for for the month if you run out.

Again, it’s VERY important to understand how you will use the tablet.  If you plan on just having it around the house as screen #2 or #3A after the TV and the computer, then you should focus on leveraging your home Wifi (if you have it) and limiting your cellular data.

How to manage cellular data is a separate issue.  The Slate 8 - running Lollipop - has settings which will allow you to warn the user when you are within a certain threshold of your monthly data usage cap, and then turns OFF the data when you reach that threshold.  In the few moments where I have reached my data cap, the warning was VERY helpful in knowing where the end of my data pool was.  You don’t HAVE to set it to turn off when you reach your limit, but I would advise it so that you don’t just start adding additionally GB’s of data after you exceed your allotment.  That can get pricey. 

There is also a way to cap usage at the carrier level.  To set this up, contact Sprint via the live chat feature on our website, or ask at your local store about how to set up those limits on your tablet sub-account.

Hope you’re enjoying your Slate 8 Tablet!

D

0 Comments

Initial thoughts on the Slate 8

I've had the Slate 8 for over a week now, my primary use for this device is a media device. The first word uttered when I took this device out of the box was "wow". I was surprised by the weight of the device, the tablet has a very high end feel to it. I have to admit that when I first set up the device, I had a few issues when I did a migration from my previous tablet. I was able to resolve the issue after doing a hard reset and then setting up the tablet as a new device. Since then, the tablet has worked for all my uses;

Watching the new Jessica Jones trailer on youtube.

Watching Beasts of No Nation on Netflix.

Streaming Cisco Security CBLs from my media server.

Streaming the When disaster strikes album by Busta Rhymes on Amazon music.

Stream the GGG fight on HBO go

I do feel that the weight of the device while a plus for adults will be a hindrance for children who may drop it. Due to this, I do not give this tablet to my children unless they are sitting down. The price point of this device is great for those who are just now breaking into the tablet world. It is good for your high school age kids who pretty much only watch youtube and stream stuff. The slate 8 is a pleasant surprise, and I am happy to be testing this device.

Thanks

Stanny George

3 Comments

So, if you already have your Slate 8 tablet, you may be asking where you can find some snazzy new accessories.  Looking online (and elsewhere) might lead you astray so let me first clarify, the Slate 8 tablet is a Sprint Exclusive and not affiliated with any other manufacturer.  It is very important to point out (especially when there are other “Slate 8” model tablets), be very careful ordering any cases that may be listed as a Slate 8 accessory. The actual product dimensions are 127.7 x 208.9 x 8.98 mm (5.03 x 8.23 x 0.35 inches), so I would likely pick something generic and close to that size.  Myself, I chose a pretty generic Neoprene (wetsuit material) slipcase and I think it suits me rather well. Nothing too fancy but keeps the sun and dust off when it’s not in use and provides a degree of drop protection when it’s traveling throughout my day.

When at my desk, one accessory I can’t speak high enough about is the P2 Stand by Elago (pictured).  This is seriously one of the best stands I’ve ever found and fits the Slate 8 like a glove.  Cast out of solid aluminum, this stand is sturdy and caters to tablets of all sizes. The angle is strategically set and added rubber skid pads keep everything snug and stable.  I’ve never once had the Slate 8 slide off and even when bumped it stays fairly put and always a good viewing angle (in both portrait and landscape).  It really make things much more enjoyable especially when I’m typing elsewhere and not wanting to hold my tablet for long periods of time. I even travel with mine, just in case I want to setup a little place for steaming video viewing.  This stand is fairly new and built on the similar design of their original M2 (Mobile Phone) stand (which I also highly recommend).

It should be expected that, pretty much all your Bluetooth accessories should work fine and so far I haven’t found any that doesn’t. I’m proud to say my Motorola Buds Headphones sound great and are right now exclusively used with my Slate 8.  I didn’t see a lot tweakable settings with the sound but it wasn’t really needed and my Amazon playlist sounds and looks just great.  I’m still eye-balling a little Bluetooth keyboard but haven’t pushed the button just yet.  Did I mention that Elago P2 stand works so well when you are trying to use a keyboard with your tablet (even more so that other setups specifically designed for that purpose)?

Anyways, thanks for reading.  I guess the real purpose of this blog was to steer customers to explore options and not be discouraged to try all the exciting aftermarket accessories that aren’t locked down to a certain device.  The Slate 8 is a cool little device and not jealous whatever accessories you choose.

Stand.jpg

-Rob Ignatowicz

0 Comments

The Slate 8" Tablet from Sprint is a low to mid-level Tablet.  Some factors to consider when getting the Slate tablet will be Form Factor, Performance, Operating System, and Features.  Outlined below are the specifications related to these factors:

FORM FACTOR

The Slate 8 has an 8", 800x1280 IPS HD display.  The back of the tablet has a semi-rugged, rubberized coating, which helps with the handling of the tablet.  It weighs roughly 12 oz. with the 4500 mAh non-removable battery.

Capture.PNG

(Image from Sprint.com)

PERFORMANCE

With a 1.1 GHz quad-core processor, the performance is slightly limited compared to higher-end tablets.  Nonetheless, for basic multi-tasking, mid-level apps & games, the tablet presents itself as a very reasonable product.  In addition to WiFi, its tri-band networking supports Sprint Spark and 4G LTE.  It should be noted that it does not support 3G.   Compared to other mid-level tablets, the memory storage for this device is nice!  It has 16 GB of internal storage capability along with 1 GB of RAM.  Although it does not come with a microSD card, it DOES have a microSD card slot which can support up to 128 GB of expandable storage. 

OPERATING SYSTEM

At the time of this blogpost, it came preinstalled with Android 5.1 - Lollipop.  The device is a pure Android experience, so it will not have the applications you may be accustomed to that are installed for other major OEMs.  For example, pictures saved by the Google Camera are saved internally and to Google Photos.  Outside of accessing your photos through the Google Photos gallery, you will need to view them though the file explorer.

FEATURES

This tablet come with a 5 MP rear camera and a 2 MP front-facing camera.  I was slightly disappointed with the camera slow response time and quality.  The charging port appears to be backwards, and located on the top of the tablet rather than the bottom or side.  It has a decent speaker, and connectivity with a bluetooth speaker works great as well. 

Overall, it is a nice tablet, has just enough weight to feel like a quality tablet, and is a very affordable option for anyone seeking a mid-level tablet.

0 Comments

I have been testing out the Slate 8 for a few weeks now and I really like the size of this tablet.  It makes it really great and portable.  Now I know that this tablet is heavier than other tablets out there but the size of the Slate 8 works if your on the go and need to hold a tablet in just 1 hand.  I have also found that the size of this tablet is great for little kids.  I let my daughter use the Slate 8 a lot.  She is three and a half but the size of this tablet is perfect for her to carry around.  She basically takes it almost everywhere and uses it to draw, play games, and watch movies.

Now I ALWAYS turn my brightness fully up on every device that I use.  When I did that with the Slate 8 it was not as bright as other phones and tablets that I have tested out.  Now its not like super dim.  It is bright enough to use outside in the sun.

This tablet would be a great tablet for anyone that is one the go or a first tablet for kids.

“Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.”