Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received replacement iphone through Applecare. Cannot unlock due to 40 day rule

Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Received replacement iphone through Applecare. Cannot unlock due to 40 day rule

Hi, I am having the exact same situation as the person that started this thread. 

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Services-Archives/Requesting-Exception-to-50-Day-Active-Policy-for-U...

After being a loyal Sprint customer for over ten years only to be treated as another number without an ounce of human thought/logic (especially when the above thread shows there is a solution) is just appalling. 

I had a iPhone Xs with Sprint Insurance + applecare that I paid for through sprint since 2018. 

The phone was malfunctioning so I recently upgraded to the 12 Pro and also had the Xs replaced via Applecare at the Apple Store. I then paid the Xs off and requested an unlock code but customer service chat told me it must be active for 40 days on network before it can be unlocked. How ridiculous is this? 
Why would a phone that is being replaced under insurance (paid for through Sprint!) be subject to a reset of the activation timeframe? 

Can you please help me with this? This is simply a REPLACEMENT under insurance of a phone that had been active for YEARS. 

At this point if this isn't handled properly I'll have to cancel my lines outright. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Hey, I'd be happy to look into this for you. However, I'll need some more information. I'll send you a PM. 

S.R
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am experiencing the same issue. Original phone was paid in full and unlocked. Sprint applied the new lock upon activation without notification. After approx 18hours of contact with customer care, no resolution. Sprint has also started quoting t-mobile’s policy of 50 days but is conveniently using sprint’s deceptive activation rule. However, sprint’s policy also states zero information about the sneaky lock when's bringing your own devices to sprint which, in this case, is applicable. T-Mobile, on the other hand, recognizes that insurance replacement phones are to assume the same conditions as the original phone. According to Consumer Code for Wireless Service, these conditions deem the phone eligible for unlocking. Sprint’s customer service(with the exception of two agents) has been the absolute worst I’ve ever encountered across all arenas. 

Highlighted

I'm here to help! I'll send you a PM so I can further look into this. 

S.R
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat

Looking for more infomration on Sprint Toal Equipment Protection Insurance?
Check out these articles:
Top 5 Reasons to have TEP on your Device
TEP Insurance Support Articles
TEP Insurance FAQs