cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Asurion for anyway?

Highlighted
Journeyman

What is Asurion for anyway?

So my phone was broken 2 days ago and knowing that I had insurance on my phone I really didn't think of it to be a big deal; until I was told that I had to pay a $275 deductible!!!  Is this real?  I have been with Sprint for at least 10 years if not more, and has paid this insurance when it was $9 a month, then $11 a month, and now $13 a month.  I've rarely had to use it because I try to be very careful with my phone and protect it with cases, and screen protectors.  Now that my phone is broken and unrepairable I am at the mercy of this Asurion insurance.  Does my monthly payments count for anything toward this $275 deductible?  They want $275 before sending me a new phone.  They won't even bill me!  $275 for a refurbished phone, because they are not going to send me a brand new one.  I don't get it.  Why am I paying $13 a month again?  What is the benefit of this insurance?  $275 is a lot for some namely me because I am the only income in my household.

Does anyone know of an alternative to getting a new phone?  I can't believe this is even happening!!

Thanks for any help!

girlwithaplanbutnophone

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Wizard

Re: What is Asurion for anyway?

The deductible can be an inconvenience, I understand that. It is less than paying full price for a new phone. You do have options. We offer pre-owned devices and our Sprint flex, which is a 18-month lease program.

It sounds like you are on a Sprint flex plan with the phone. To be able to upgrade you will need to pay the remaining lease payments and the fair market value of the phone, since you're phone is damaged and won't be able to be returned. Check out options here. SOLUTION: What are my phone purchase options?

Penguin
Social Care Rockstar
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are Welcome
GrandMaster

you have to think of it like car insurance.  you dont plan on wrecking your car but you still pay per month...and if something DOES happen you will have to pay a deductible to get it taken care of.

its actually a decent deal if you think about it..$275 to replace your phone with a used one that will for sure work on Sprint..or risk buying a used one from someone that might or might not work and end up costing you roughly the same.

i have had insurance on every device i have owned..only had one destroyed beyond repair device and cost wise i was ahead using the insurance compared to trying to get a replacement. personally completely destroyed is the only time i would use the insurance..along with said insurance any time anything must be done to the device (example something isnt working right..button acting up etc not due to dropping it) there is no charge for a tech to look at it..if its not insured you get a charge for them to look at it.

out of curiosity what phone do you have and what is broken on it?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thank you for the reply.  I have the galaxy s8+.  it the glass is broken around the edges, they say it is not repairable, as my screen is just black with lines going across. 

GrandMaster

i would think a screen could be replaced unless it somehow travelled back even further or if for example the area where the screen would sit is crumpled/wrinkled. the store you took the device to. was it an actual Sprint corporate store or a 3rd party one that just says Sprint on it? you might even opt to contact Samsung directly..still a chance the screen can be replaced but its going to fall on just how bad the main damage area is.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Thank you for the reply.  Your right it is better than paying full price for a new phone, which is why I thought having insurance and paying it faithfully for a number of years would count towards the deductible.  Also would I be getting a "new phone" from Asurion? The answer is no.  They would send me a "refurbished" phone.  So I'm paying a monthly fee for insurance that in no way benefits me.  I've paid $275 over the course of the years of having the "total protection program" before ever having to file a claim.  Now that I have a claim, I have to find $275 to pay for #1. to file the claim;they won't process the claim until payment is made, and #2 for a new phone.  I may as well cancel the dumb insurance, and don't even buy phones from sprint, and just purchase outright from anywhere....There has to be a solution.  If this is a fee that has to be paid, I'm paying the insurance monthly on my sprint account, why can't this fee be applied to my account just like the monthly fee?

Journeyman

The phone was dropped and the screen is broken around the edges.  Some pieces of glass seems to be off and the screen will not come on.  It just has green and black lines going across.  They say it's not repairable.

I understand your point of view. So since the phone isn't repairable, yes it would be a good idea to file a claim with Asurion. I'm sorry you have to pay your deductible. You can ask them if you have the opportunity to have the deductible applied to your bill, that is something they will go over with you. They will send you a replacement device in the mail and you will be required to send the old one back, so do any backing up on the device before shipping the device, if you're able to.

AnnGee77
 Social Care Princess ?

?Lover of Everything Magical ?
Please give glitter coated Kudos and crown thee with Accepted Solutions.
Journeyman

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.  I've stated that I asked them to apply it to my bill, only for them to tell me they cannot.  They have to have the payment before processing the claim, and sending the phone.  I am aware of the shipping process.

The problem is the ripoff deductible amount of $275, and them not willing to apply to my bill.

GrandMaster

Assurion is a completely different entity. Verizon ATT and TMO all use them. they are not a carrier specific company or ran by any of them.
Wizard

In order for Asurion to apply the deductible to your bill, it depends on your credit class. That's based on the credit check that we did when you first opened your Sprint account. It's also determined by having an account spending limit. That also may have an effect on paying the deductible up front or not.

KRow32Cheerleading Under Cover Cheerleader 
Don't worry, be happy!
Spread positivity in the community and while you are at it,
give me a kudo! Go Team!
Journeyman

Thank you for your reply.

I do not have a spending limit on my account, and if the credit check has anything to do with it then I should be able to have it applied to the account.  There is nothing preventing them from doing that.  I will call back and see what a different representative tells me.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat

Looking for more infomration on Sprint Toal Equipment Protection Insurance?
Check out these articles:
Top 5 Reasons to have TEP on your Device
TEP Insurance Support Articles
TEP Insurance FAQs