cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can device under contract be used on a different line on the same account?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can device under contract be used on a different line on the same account?

This is what I would like to do. Please help with the information.

I have a line X (device X) that is under contract. I am not happy with device X. I don't want to pay off the device X since I will lose monthly credits.

I have a line Y on the acct that is not under contract and is using a paid off / BYOD device.

I want to upgrade line Y and get device Y. However, I will continue use the paid off device on line Y. I want to use device Y on line X. Device X will go in the drawer for now.

Is it possible to make the above work? Will it jeopardize monthly device credits for both lines? I would assume not, but would like to confirm. Why would Sprint care how I use the device as long as the lines are active and payments are being made?

If it helps, the devices are not flex lease plan. Device X is on 24 month installment billing with monthly credit. Device Y will also be on a 24 month installment billing with monthly credit.

Appreciate the feedback

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Hey, let me look into this for you. 

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Hey, you would be able to upgrade and have the device swapped to another line; however, you may lose the monthly credits for both lines. I'd need to look into the promotions you're taking part in to verify. 

Highlighted

Thanks for the info. Losing bill credits is the dreaded part that account services folks don't mention. They just say, "Yes you can do it. It's called flip-flop." But don't mention at all about losing credits.

As I mentioned, the devices are not using Sprint Flex lease program. Device X was upgraded via BestBuy, which has monthly bill credits for 24 months. Device Y will also be upgraded via similar 24 month bill credit agreement if I decide to go ahead with the upgrade on Line Y. But based on your answer of losing bill credits on both lines, it makes no sense to do it.

Highlighted

Each promotion is different and there is a possibility that you may lose the monthly credits but I'll need to look into the promotion to verify that. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat

Looking for more infomration on Sprint Flex Leasing?
Check out these articles:
Five Reasons to Flex
Sprint Flex Support Articles
Sprint Flex FAQs