cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My lease has ended how do I just buy the phone now?

Go to solution
Journeyman

My lease has ended how do I just buy the phone now?

Hi I am leaving in the NJ and my lease was expired last month and i want to own the phone. but every time i contact the sprint they are giving me difference answer every time also they charged the money on my account whatever is due  and now they are saying that now they can not unlock the device.

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: My lease has ended how do I just buy the phone now?

Hi Ravi! New Jersey is one of a handful of states that have laws with restrictions on how and when a leased phone can be purchased. Here is that information:

Why can’t a customer in some states buy their lease device/phone?

Certain states have laws that result in limitations on when a customer can purchase devices at the end of the lease agreement or during the term. If the customer’s billing address is in one of those states, the limits are (please read):

• DE, ND, NJ, NY, PA, PR Rent Charge Customers.

Customers that pay a rent charge during their lease term can buy their device anytime during their term, but once their final lease payment has been billed, they are no longer able to buy. The customer can continue to pay monthly until they are ready to upgrade. These monthly payments do not apply to the price of the phone. They have the option to upgrade to a new device and when they upgrade, the device must be returned in Good working condition.  The customer also has the option of returning the device to Sprint.

• DE, IA, ID, ME, ND, NJ, NY, PA, WI, PR Month-to-month Customers.

Customers in these states that do NOT pay a rent charge during their lease term can buy their device anytime during their term but are not able to buy their device once their first month-to-month lease payment is billed.  The customer can continue to pay monthly until they are ready to upgrade. They have the option to upgrade to a new device and when they upgrade, the device must be returned in Good working condition. These monthly payments do not apply to the price of the phone. The customer also has the option of returning the device to Sprint.

If the customer can’t buy the phone, what are their options?

If a customer is not able to purchase their device due to a State limitation the customer has several other options.

• They can return their phone in good working condition and upgrade to a new phone,
  • They can continue paying month-to-month until they are ready to upgrade. The month-to-month payments do not apply to the price of the device, and Sprint still owns the device.
  • They can simply return their device.

Hi 

then why customer representative charge me the lease termination amount at the first moment when i talked with them. they charged the money also they send me the conformation for that you successfully own the device. and now you can ask sprint to unlock if you need i can provide you the details as well. if that not possible then they have to mention me at the first moment why they are providing the wrong information. 

Can you send me a private message, Ravi? I'd like to look into this for you, but I'll need your account information. 

Sure please send me the private message on my id i will provide you all the required information or please let me know on which id i can send the private message.

Journeyman

hi 

i still not get any update regarding the my phone unlock.

Howdy ravi24jay. I see that the case is still open. I know we've been waiting for the back office to complete the case. I'm going to create a ticket to kick this unlock case into gear. Give me just a moment to get that ticket created. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.

Alrighty. I've created the ticket, SD6286401. I'll check this ticket first thing in the morning, and then provide an update to you. 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat

Looking for more infomration on Sprint Flex Leasing?
Check out these articles:
Five Reasons to Flex
Sprint Flex Support Articles
Sprint Flex FAQs