cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC EVO 4G from Sprint Gets Android Gingerbread Update

Journeyman

HTC EVO™ 4G from Sprint will receive the Android™ 2.3, Gingerbread, update through an over-the-air maintenance release beginning on Monday, June 6.

Sprint will send update notifications to users in waves. The notification will let users know the update is available and provide the simple two-step, over-the-air download instructions.

1. Users will receive a notification that Android 2.3 is available for download.

2. Once the user has downloaded the update, they will be prompted to install the update. The user will be notified that their device will be disabled during the installation process. The phone will be ready to use once the process completes.

Can't Wait Until June 6?

For those who just can’t wait to get Android 2.3, there will be an easy user initiated option to download the upgrade starting on Friday, June 3. To access the update – from the home screen/Menu/Settings/System updates/HTC software Update. This will initiate the upgrade process.

The software release upgrades HTC EVO 4G to Android 2.3, Gingerbread. This version of Android improves download management through the Downloads application, offering the user easy access to any file downloaded from the browser, email or another application. It also fixes the devices ability to stream media through certain applications for the device.

Gingerbread restores HTC EVO 4G’s ability to sync multiple Gmail™ accounts, display email attachments in the email client and fixes battery discharge issues.

Hey all, we noticed you have a ton of questions about this update.   Please head over to the discussion thread where we can take questions and provide answers.

6/4 Dshoem01 [fixed broken link]

235 Comments
Wizard

Finally!

Thanks for the official info!

MM

N/A

Is it gonna have the new version of HTC sence

N/A

will it be 2.3.4 or 2.3.3?

N/A

Thank YOU Sprint! More email finctionality and hopefully more landscape!

N/A

Gingerbread 2.3.4?

Sense 2.0?

Landscape functionality?

Screen off animation?

N/A

Will this be coming to the Evo shift or just the 4G?

N/A

finally i have been waiting for this

N/A

Ok so when...if ever...will the Samsung Epic 4G get this update? We sure do need it.

N/A

Will this update have the 4G Widget that everyone hates that does "scan now" replaced with the old "on/off" toggle?

Will it fix 3G being SUB 200kbps speed?

Will it add SIP/VoIP calling?

If it doesnt, I dont care nor do I want it.

N/A

sense better get updated too...

N/A

Evo Shift?

Wizard

All I want is to be able to "officially" (without root) remove Sprint Apps like NOVA, BLOCKBUSTER, KINDLE, NASCAR, NAVIGATION, SPRINTTV, SPRINTZONE.  If it doesn't have that, then who cares.  I've given up on hoping the camera and camcorder software gets improved.

N/A

sweet

Journeyman

Will the Epic receive the Android 2.3.4 update, and if so when?

Journeyman

My mother told me if I don't have nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all. The update will be great! Looking forward to Gingerbread on EVO! Thank you, Sprint!

N/A

Thank you Sprint!  About time.  Hopefully I can actually watch a you tube video without it stopping.  And the tv also!  My battery power has been horrible since Sprint added Kindle, Nova, and Blockbuster.  All which I DON'T want and will never use.  Can this be fixed?  At least give us the option to remove them?  They take up memory and I need all my memory. 

N/A

This is wonderful. It would be great if Sprint could get its 4G working every where!

N/A

I too want to know if the Epic will receive the Gingerbread (2.3.4) update and if so, when.

N/A

Will it actually get 4G speeds? As there are NO (I repeat NO) carriers that carry 4G anywhere, regardless of what they tell you. Use your browser to do speed tests. You won't ever get a 4G up or download from any site. Though I agree with MMarc27 - If I can't remove the Sprint apps, who cares about the upgrade?

N/A

Some pretty skim release notes there for an OTA!

least tell what version of HTC Sense and what version of GB will be loaded on the phone!

N/A

Great News!!! I feel bad for Epic(Fail) owners, and samsung phone owners in general, they just got 2.2 end of April! I know because I just swiched lol... Go HTC!

N/A

Will the EVO Shift get the same update?

N/A

So when is honeycomb coming to the EVO4g???  Smiley Happy

N/A

Do you have to unroot your device in order to receive the update?

Wizard

Mike, honeycomb will not make it to phone.

But Ice Cream Sandwich is the next version

N/A

All, I will be posting additional detail on this upgrade in the HTC EVO 4G forum tomorrow morning and will try to address all your questions there.  Thanks!

Wizard

Marsh, if you have a rooted device and you want to keep the root, you need to wait until they (developers) come up with the rooted update.

If you apply the update to rooted device, you simple loose the root!

N/A

Do you lose root forever?

Wizard

I will say temporary until you root the device again.

N/A

Ok So  I should be able to update OTA them just re-root?

N/A

Yes !!!  Although I'm sure its like ordering a Dell or HP computer; "we are going to put that crap on there and if you want it off you will have to put new OS on your computer and load everything manually"   I'm sure HTC is kicking little kick backs from all that being loaded.

N/A

I have gingerbread for my epic...i love it. Relatively no issues besides the normal stuff and exceptional battery life even though i have my cpu set to run 1ghz at all times. Before you ask.....yes its rooted and yes its flashed. if you want a taste of gingerbread check out sdx-developers

N/A

Great products, but would really like the customer service to improve.  Left and right hand have know idea how to work together.  The need to upgrade their human network.  I've been a customer for 7 years and I dread calling them everysingle time.  Most associates feel they are an expert on their opinion about a decision and it often grossly differs with the next rep when I call back after being disconnected.

I HATE CALLING SPRINT FOR SERVICE.  THINKING MORE AND MORE ABOUT IPHONE.

N/A

finally... my evo is almost outdated!!

N/A

Based on this announcement and other information I've found online (thanks @AndroidPower), this update only seems to be for the EVO, not the EVO Shift... any information on if/when the EVO Shift will get Gingerbread?

N/A

This has made my day/week!!!  Looking forward to it! 

Yes I have no life....

Journeyman

I really hope everybody isn't expecting that 2.3 is a cure-all for some of the gripes with 2.2 and the EVO 4G. My co-worker has a Nexus with 2.3 and to be honest, it's not that all different than 2.2. You couldn't even tell the difference unless you press Menu and select "About Phone" and "Software" only to see that it's running on 2.3.

N/A

super excited about this one!  do i download tomorrow or wait for the over-the-air update on monday?!?!?!?!?

Journeyman

Noone hates the 4G widget. I use it all the time its great.

N/A

when will will i be able to start downloading it. 1201am on 6/3

N/A

I tried to manual download in settings under HTC Software Update and isn't working

N/A

Same here, Sprint Headquarters is in the central time zone so that might be why, theyre an hour behind EST

N/A

Still won't let me i want it now

Journeyman

I have tried also but its not working, I'm going to wait until 1 am. Eastern time

N/A

same here nothing yet

N/A

Nothing yet!

N/A

Its June 3, where is my gingerbread......

N/A

On the phone with sprint they dont even know y its not working what tech support we have.

N/A

You have to realise the difference between an HTC phone and the Nexus. The problems the Evo had may not have been on the Nexus and I'm happy they are giving us an update, its like having a new phone.  We may even get Sense 2.0 with this update.

N/A

lol they usually help me out but i think neznarf is right  and we'll get the update in about 15 min