PC Magazine awarded Samsung Restore with its GreenTech Approved award for meeting six of out of seven the magazine’s established green criteria: an Energy Star charger, compliance with hazardous materials standards, use of recycled materials in the phone and packaging, a free take back policy, and membership in a battery-recycling group.
LG Remarq also won PC Magazine’sGreenTech Seal for its Energy Star charger, compliance with hazardous materials standards, use of recycled materials in the phone and packaging, and membership in a battery-recycling group.
Samsung Restore and LG Remarq are designed with environmentally responsible components and green packaging.
• The outer casing contains 27 percent post-consumer recycled plastic and the handset as a whole is 84 percent recyclable.
• Restore meets strict RoHS standards and only has low levels of environmentally sensitive materials (PVC, BFRs, Phthalates, Beryllium).
• The device is powered by an Energy Star Version 2.0 qualified energy efficient charger (level V); with standby power loss less than 30mW.
• The packaging is 100 percent recyclable, featuring a cardboard box made from 70 percent post consumer materials and printed with soy ink.
• The paper manual has been replaced with an online user manual
• It comes pre-loaded with Sprint’s One Click Green tile, giving users instant access to a collection of green, earth-friendly information and tips, including: Best of Green, a well-rounded collection of information to inspire a greener lifestyle, and Planet Green, providing tips and information to help make your life a little greener.
• Restore includes a unique typographic default ringer with a song called “Mother Earth.” It also comes pre-loaded with eco-oriented ringers and screensavers.
• The phone’s outer casing is made from 19 percent post-consumer recycled plastic and the handset as a whole is 87 percent recyclable. The device meets strict RoHS standards for restriction of hazardous materials such as lead, mercury and cadmium.
• Remarq contains low levels of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and brominated flame retardants (BFR): two materials commonly targeted on green electronics guidelines.
• Powered by an Energy Star-qualified charger that meets the energy-efficiency standards set by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
• Packaging that is fully recyclable and is made from 87 percent post-consumer material (PCM). The phone tray inside the box is made from 100 percent PCM. The images and text on the box, as well as all in-box materials, are printed with soy ink.
• A preloaded Eco Calculator app calculates C02 reduction savings by walking or cycling as opposed to driving an automobile. The reduction is calculated in pounds of C02 or trees planted.
Executive Quote from Sprint SVP – Product Development, Kevin Packingham
“Samsung Restore and LG Remarq give the eco-minded consumers a way to stay connected with the people who matter most at an incredible price without sacrificing technology,” said Kevin Packingham, Sprint senior vice president-Product Development. “Sprint continues to lead the U.S. wireless industry with our commitment to environmental initiatives and products.”
In addition to an award-winning green product portfolio, Sprint was also recently honored with a “Recycler of the Year” award at the International Electronics Recycling Conference and Expo (IERCE) for its leadership in electronics waste management.