cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Continues to Make Gains in Wireless Customer Care Satisfaction

Journeyman

The J.D. Power results released today show that while the other wireless carriers’ scores have either declined or shown very little improvement since the January 2010 survey, Sprint has made an impressive 10 point gain -- the only carrier to have achieved a double-digit increase in score in just one year.

Today’s J.D. Power study follows Sprint’s 11 consecutive quarters of improvement and comes on the heels of another recent third-party accolade. The January 2011 National Customer Service Survey from Vocalabs shows Sprint now leads all national wireless competitors across several phone-based customer service key metrics, including call satisfaction and first call resolution.

We’re not done and we’ll continue our aggressive fight to become the clear leader in customer wireless satisfaction overall.

• Sprint has seen 11 consecutive quarters of improved customer satisfaction and first call resolution.

• Sprint winning the #1 spot for both overall satisfaction for wireless voice service providers and wireless data service providers in a Yankee Group and Mobile Enterprise magazine survey of large business decision makers. Sprint also ranked high in small and medium business customer satisfaction.

The study surveyed wireless customers from July 2010 to December 2010 about their experiences with customer care within the last six months. It focused on several customer experience channels: Automated Response System (ARS) and then transferred to a live customer service representative (CSR) in one contact, CSR only, ARS only, walk-in (retail) and online. The study measures each carrier’s efficiency in these channels based on a number of dimensions, including hold times, interaction and ease of navigation.

30 Comments
N/A

That increase in customer satisfaction is really surprising.

My boyfriend had to threaten to cancel his contract, he was in the 30 day window, to get his Epic that was having major reception problems replaced. I don't even know how many hours he spent on the phone with support. At one point they wanted him to buy a new phone and pay for shipping without the guarantee they would reimburse him when they received the broken phone.

My mom's Evo is dead and she is having to wait 3 weeks for a new phone and pay $35 for shipping.

N/A

I agree with this story, I remember back in 2007 customer support was awful with Sprint.  The service was great, but if you had to call in, it was a nightmare. I have had to call Sprint a few times over the past couple of months for account changes on my plan, and by far, the customer is service is outstanding!  Dan Hesse has really turned this company around.

N/A

There has to be some mistake ! !  No way Sprint rates high in customer service.

I have had nothing but trouble and lies from Sprints Customer whatever staff, in person and especially on the phone. I filled out survey for Consumers Digest and rated Sprint as THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE INDUSTRY. There outsourced service reps only want to sell services, they lie and and give American names when you question them they pretend to transfer you and hang up on you , the tech dept. refuses to due any repair unless you buy there insurance. the american reps will hang up on you when you question them.

And I challenge anyone  out there to get a credit for a mistake Sprint makes on your bill ! !  Not your error, Sprints Error Go Ahead.. ! and post how many phone calls it will take to even get Sprint to admit they made the error ..

The only thing Sprint has going for them is there pricing .. Nothing more

Once my contract expires Tmobile is the way to go I'll pay more but get true customer service.

Journeyman

How many net users did Sprint add this quarter?  I can't imagine it was any where near as many as Verizon or AT&T.  Also wait until people realize that Sprint's 4g ambitions are failing miserably, one of the companies they are 4g partners with is practically bankrupt.  Not to mention the terrible support they are providing for the Epic which was their most expensive flagship phone, yet has not received treatment equivalent to the EVO on any level.  It pisses me off when I think about it, but actually nothing makes me happier then knowing Sprint's eventual decline into irrelevance is coming soon.  Verizon is getting the iPhone, a far superior 4g network that covers more markets, they provide better support to their flagship phones (the Droid-X has recieved 2 major OS updates the original Droid has received 2 as well and despite being released over a year ago, is on a newer OS than the Epic), also they are right around the same price, Sprint isn't even the bargain it use to be.  All the approval numbers are going to plummet.

I guess in short soon Sprint will be getting my $350, I made a mistake but here is a big middle finger to you and your failing company, check in the mail.  Congrats on the meaningless numbers!

Journeyman

I have been a client with Sprint almost from the very beginning of cel phones, and their customer service has gone from bad to worst in the last couple of years. I am waiting for the contract I just got in December 2010 (BIG MISTAKE) to end so I can say Good Bye to Sprint for good. I am done with them.  How are they getting their studies done?  For sure they are not asking feedback from their "premier members".  PREMIER SERVICE, what a joke.

Journeyman

This survey is based on how selected Big Business rate Sprint.  This doesn't reflect the opinion of independent users with personal accounts who are the majority of Sprint's customers.  So the big business are paying big bucks and Sprint is keeping them happy.  That is not the reality for us, the independent cel phone users, there is no exceptional customer service, and certainly no loyalty.

N/A

As a longtime multi line customer, I've stuck by Sprint through thick and thin.  I won't lie; Sprint has really cleaned up it's act up until this year.

But this year is the year that Sprint begins their inevitable decline and customer satisfaction is going to tank once again.  You guys just couldn't let a good thing keep going, you had to get greedy, and it's going to turn around and bite you in the end, and again the customers you gained are going to flee once again.

From my perspective, Sprint's downturn is the result of:

• Cutting back on the Premiere program: This hurts your most loyal customers, the ones who are most vocal, and the ones who've been a great source of revenue.  I know Sprint Premiere is still a better program than the now defunct VZW "New every 2", but it's not even a differentiator anymore.  Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
  • "Premium Data" for all smartphones: In this day of 200mb data caps and net neutrality nonsense, it's refreshing to see Sprint tow the party line of "Unlimited" data (with certain limitations).  Adding a "Premium Data" plan for 4G-enabled smartphones was a little annoying, but understandable.  Changing the same plan to include ALL smartphones?  Come on guys, now it's just a cash grab.  This price increase just removes the price differentiator, and makes the other carriers just that much more attractive.  Did I mention it just LOOKS greedy?
  • Phone selection: Too many gaps and duplicates!  Why do we need 3 different Samsung Android keyboard phones, and what amounts to the HTC version of two of those phones?  Why is there still an Windows Mobile 6.5 phone in inventory, but no Windows Phone 7?  How many slider featurephones do we really need, and what happened to high-end feature flips?  Dare I even mention iPhone?
  • Transparency: I don't know what makes telecoms think they need to talk about their business and customer-affecting decisions in such hushed tones behind closed doors.  Get with the times, folks! Successful enterprises are adopting more customer transparancy.  Throwing a blog up on the Internet and a heavily moderated forum isn't enough.  We want to know what new CPE we should be on the lookout for!  We want to know what plans are available!  We want to know what technologies Sprint is developing, what areas you're improving service in, what areas you're having problems in. Honesty really is the best policy.
  • Software Updates: This really falls in line with the above point, but it's big enough to get its own bullet.  Stop feeding your customers BS lines about phone updates.  Just knock it off.  Every phone I've owned from Sprint has received very few and very hushed updates.  What's the big deal?  Us Epic 4G owners have been told from the get-go that we're to receive an update to Froyo since it was released!  Where is it?  No one knows?  That's a big fat lie, SOMEONE KNOWS and isn't saying anything.  People I talk to say that other departments don't share any information.  This is the problem from the top right down to your customer-facing representative.  If Sprint wants to stay ahead of the curve of customer satisfaction, the #1 thing that needs to happen is for Sprint to come clean.

I know that list isn't the most organized, but I don't see anything positive on the horizon if some of those points aren't coverted into actions for Sprint.  Don't rest on your laurels now, Sprint!        

N/A

Why does Sprint only concentrate on Sprint and they do not upgrade Nextel phone service. You can do anything you want to improve a company. I read where they want to make new phones for Nextel but unleass you improve cell service you will continue to loose customers to other companies such as AT&T and Verizon. I live within 2 miles from a number of cell towers ( im assuming at least 4 cell towers) and do not get cell service at my home address. Improving Customer Service does not improve a cell phone company. Improve cell signal strength will.

N/A

This is hard to believe since Sprint has blatently misrepresented the GalaxyS Froyo 2.2 update.  Every Sprint user that bought the Epic was decieved and I have been telling this story to everyone that asks about my new phone.

Journeyman

I read somewhere that nextel is going to go the way of the dinosaurs. They run off of the old 2g network is is going to be shut down in the very near future...no network means no need for new phones.

N/A

i hope sprint gets the iphone4

Journeyman

Sorry to say, but from everything we have seen in the 9 years of being Sprint customers indicates that Dan Hesse is a customer relations nightmare.  He hasn't a clue who his customers are because he spends way too much time patting himself on the back.  Sprint does nothing to keep the phones they sell working well on their network.  They buy third party apps for the phones (Instinct in particular) that just degrade and make the phone a worthless piece of garbage.  They claim no responsibility and the only recourse is re-program the phone, or upgrade.  We ditched our worthless Instincts to join the world's only 4G network (Charlotte is supposed to have "wall-to-wall" 4G service but it's not even close.  I have open tickets with their technical support group that never get answered.  The $10 upcharge on the data plan is a joke because the speeds I achieve only approximate what we had with the Instinct.  Dan Hesse and team, you need to wake up and learn how bad your service really is.  You're robbing me of $40 extra per month that I want back until you actually come up with 4G speeds.

Journeyman

sprint is not out to satisfy customers! I have 2 different compaines sprint and verizon we were waiting for our year to go up to add the fourth line well because my line was disconnected for about 30 minutes because i forgot my bill was hurt at work and in and out of doctors appt. just honestly slipped my mind. They tell me i have to wait another 6 months???? well it slipped my mind with verizion the same month and they were offering the other 3 phones we wanted sprint cause it is cheaper but in the long run paying seperate accoounts is just to hard.

N/A

I LIKE THE HTC EVO 4G IT IS THE BEST PHONE OUT THERE

N/A

worst customer care service ever< my phone broke and i will have to pay just as much to get the same phone with insurrance or go prove my phone is broke so i can get a new one cuz they dont trust people when i should of had my phone if they didnt send me the wrong phone.

N/A

Yet you can't seem to update the Epic 4g quick enough to Froyo. Now, we have devices being released with Honeycomb!

Journeyman

LOL!  Ha ha ha.....

Nice propaganda...I mean article.  Sprint USED to have good customer service.  Oh, wait, my bad I was thinking of another company. Lets face it, they are cheap.  I don't mean inexpensive, cheap.

In all seriousness, it is apparent to me and a lot of others that this is not true.  I cant speak to a group of businesses that subscribe to some magazine or any other small group of companies say.  I can offer you the opportunity to look through the forums and the blogs here at sprint.

Do some reserch for yourself and see what you can find.

If you really want to see what they have to offer, try buying their product.  Easy as pie.  Now, after they have your money and you are in a contract, try to get some service, a repair, help, anything.  Don't do it with your main phone though, it is too frustrating.

See for yourself or ask actual customers.

Journeyman

I think this said 2010.... customer service was better then,,,, but since 2011 it been crap. I think this is a bait-and-switch scheme. Nothing has been resolved with my customer issues and sprint really does not seem to care. Since they got all these new customers in 2010. Im sure the truth with be revealed in 2011.

N/A
Journeyman

I've been a long time Sprint supporter, but have to say they have fallen short with me lately. their customer sevice department is horrible. Ive been paying for a "Equipment Service and Repair" for years now.......i have a broken screen on my phone and its not covered. Can you beleive that! its called "Equip Service and Repair" and they cant repair a cracked screen. Ridiculous! I wonder what is covered? I promise you, i will ride out my year with the broken screen and leave Sprint forever.

Journeyman

I agree with your comments.  We are in the process of getting 4G in our area and it has been a nightmare for over 3 months!!!  I cant send or receive texts.  Yesterday I actually received a (duplicate)picture mail from my friend that she sent me in December of her engagement ring!!  I am sure I got charged another data fee for opening it too. It takes over twenty tries to get a text sent and God forbid I am out and need to call 911 and cant get my call to go through.  I have called several times and I get someone in another country trying to troubleshoot the problem and I cant understand a thing he is telling me!!  I have also e-mailed several times and they just tell me to turn my phone off and on to reset it...I dont know when they are gonna get it that it's NOT MY PHONE!!!! Everyone I know that has Sprint is experiencing the same problem and it is really getting old.  My complaints are falling on deaf ears and I feel that everyone in my area should get some kind of reimbursement for our trouble.  I am really looking into Verizon because my contract is up.

Journeyman

sprint to me is full of shit b/c i have been w/ then since 2007 and i had purchase a phone online and the phone was not what i expected it to so i sent them back w/ in the 30 day period they give you for the last 2 months i have been calling sprint to reset my account and they still have not done it yet this company is garbage when it come to the customer service they dont no how to at least keep the customer happy i just told the  rep that i was speaking w/ that if my account is not reset will be leaving this company and i will report them

N/A

Customer service at Sprint is very poor and JD Powers needs to be told.  I received an extended battery for my birthday and Sprint will not accept the return due to their strict 30 day rule.  The local store told me to call *2 where they referred me back to the local store.  The local store told me tough and to sell the battery on ebay. So did customer service AND managers of Sprint Customer Service.  I had been to the store 3 times but each time was discouraged because of huge backlogs of customers. If I had known about the 30 days I certainly would have stood in the line but it was a present.  So I have vowed to blog, tweet, facebook daily on this issue.  I am researching new wireless companies and I will call customer service at Sprint everyday and waste $50 of their time repeating my complaint until it is resolved.  

N/A

Having had contracts with all of the major carriers, I find Sprint's customer service to be subpar. I am referring to management, decision making and communication with their clients.

On a more granular level, yes - all customer service representatives have been helpful and friendly.

Current customer service issues that are not being addressed and/or ignored. For example:

1. Text messaging logs - these are provided by all other carriers, you are unaware that Sprint does not provide them until you are under contract. This topic has been discussed on the forums since 2008, clearly important to many customers, but no word from Sprint.

2.Froyo 2.2 promised for the Samsung Epic last September 2010. People who own those phones are not happy. There are long threads about this, yet no formal word from Sprint. While new Sprint products with Froyo 2.2 have been introduced to the market, recently. It would appear that new customers are more important than those already in contract?3. A website that loads so painfully slow that I cringe when I have to use it.

Those things are much more important to me than a customer service rep who is forced to ask "would you say I provided the service you need?" so it can be one more positive  tick mark for J D Powers statistics.

Journeyman

Was this before or after they began to punish "premiere" members?

N/A

As far as I'm concerned Sprint is going down on customer care. Any time you walk into a store you must sign a new contract . Fair....you tell me. Also the service is quite expensive. I have been a customer at home and with cells for 11 yrs and I'm gonna buy my way out. I will go to pay as you go or just give up cell phones all together.I see nothing "free and clear" about the whole thing as the bill goes up each month. So if Sprint wants to toot it's own horn, let them. I don't think anyone else will or even listen.The store that I go to is not knowledgable and the employees change constantly. Each time I am in there it's all new people and they are complaining .Overall I rate my experience with Sprint ...poor , but I learned a lesson.

Journeyman

I have been with sprint for 11 years. It has been an up and down ride. I wanted to cancel 3 times during the years but was locked into contract at each point. By the time my contract was up, no other service offered a better price for what i needed (multiple lines, frequent travler). I DID notice a change in customer service once I hit the 10 year mark, I now talk to someone from the US and am on hold for about 10 seconds, if that.

I am a little concerned the direction Sprint is heading. If they start charging and extra $10 on all smart phones, my bill is  going up $40. If my bill goes up $40, i can find a cheaper rate with another carrier. . plain and simple. I pay the extra 10 on my phone cause i own an epic, none of my other phones justify the $10 charge, they hardley use the internet on their phones.

I will be watching to see how sprint handles my latest delima. . .i have over 10 years of service but was sent a "welcome to silver premier status" letter. . .according to their website, I should be gold status. lets see how long it takes them to correct the problem.

Adam

www.securitysolutions4you.com

N/A

I just paid my early termination fee to leave Sprint. A series of issues, from roaming charges resulting in my service being terminated without notice even though my account showed zero balance, and 2 outages in California which resulted in callers being advise my account has been disconnected when I was totally paid up, it seemed like I was in a loosing battle. The Customer service rep told me the best solution she could reccomend was for me to get a second line, this way it might help. I was also told by the resolution rep that based on the t's and c's I agreed to, they acted within their rights to shut my account down while I was in Europe. I called and incurred a hour long distance call to resolve the issue. I was informed they do not notify the customer when roaming charges build up, they do not need to. Customer service helped me decide to leave Sprint and pay my way out, the Studios that depend on me also have been happier to know i do pay my bills on time and that they can call me now and I answer. Sorry Sprint, I was one of your first customers in So Cal back in the 1990's.

Journeyman

nope sprint suck cant wait for my contract to be up.they dont care about customers and there needs.i get one junk phone after another then they upgrade me to another phone with more issues .to pay for so much i got 3 lines and they are all having issues.spent too many hours on the phone just so i can here i'm stuck with the intercept wich sucks for my ebay business no flash camera works when it wants .no good sprint i get missed calls ,text, i feel like i am on the worst network ever .just because tmobile service was not as good in the part of the state i'm in because i moved or i would still have them.may try out verizon or at&t not sure yet.

N/A

JD Powers should check out the Hampton Roads area of VA where there are thousands of frustrated Sprint customers. Apparently they have overloaded the system by adding new  wireless phone service for Cox Communications. It has been terrible for the past several weeks with a possible fix by April 2nd. Meanwhile we are stuck with an unreliable service that dops calls, delays text messages, and has sporadic outages of the web service for maps, email, etc. Wher is ouor just compensation for over a month of lousy service.