cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint to launch a mobile WiFi hotspot

Wizard

Take your WiFi hotspot with you virtually anywhere and everywhere and whenever you need it

Sprint plans to launch the Novatel Wireless MiFi 2200 intelligent mobile hotspot device for $99.99 after a $50 mail-in rebate with a new two-year service agreement (excluding taxes). The MiFi 2200, available in the first week of June on www.sprint.com, in Sprint retail stores and other select channels, will allow users to connect to the Internet by bridging WiFi-enabled devices like laptops, MP3 players and gaming devices to America’s most dependable 3G network* – the EVDO Rev A Sprint Mobile Broadband Network. Sprint will launch the service under the Sprint Mobile Hotspot name, and it will be the first in the U.S. to support MiFi’s GPS capabilities, allowing users to take advantage of select location and mapping applications.

See Press Release

Message Edited by SarahKS on 05-13-2009 03:45 PM

10 Comments

Ok...I'm curious. Is the purpose of this device to allow more than 1 computer, handset, etc. to connect to the internet via Sprint's EVDO network by creating a mini-WiFi network??? Or am I missing something?

Journeyman

I wonder what the plan will cost and if it is limited to 5GB

Master

All the info is in this press release; http://newsreleases.sprint.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=127149&p=irol-newsArticle_Print_newsroom&ID=1287934&h...=

Business and consumer customers may choose from the following service plans for the MiFi 2200:

• $59.99 per month mobile broadband only plan (excluding taxes and surcharges)**

or

• $149.99 per month Simply Everything Plan + Mobile Broadband (phone plus device connectivity excluding taxes and surcharges)**

Both plans include up to 5 GB per month and 5 cents per megabyte overage for the MiFi 2200.

The Simply Everything Plan + Mobile Broadband, unique in the industry, was introduced this February to give customers the benefits of the Now Network on their phone and laptop for one price. The plan includes unlimited text, picture and video messaging, GPS navigation, email and Web surfing on their phone, plus 5 GB of blazing Internet access on their mobile broadband device all for just $149.99 per month, a savings of $599 per year vs. comparable Verizon plans.1 Now, for that same price, customers can use the MiFi 2200 and connect to more devices at once.

Journeyman

LOL! Blazing huh?

8^)

Journeyman

"blazing"?? Simmering is more like it.

Journeyman

It seems like a nice idea but the 5GBcap is definatly a turn off

Journeyman

I think this needs unlimted data because 5GB isnt that much, especially if you download music and videos alot

Journeyman

I heard add PAM (ED-VO?) was only around $25.mo instead of 69 like the broadband only devices. Any validity?

Journeyman

No,

I have a better deal through Verizon's Broadband card with unlimited useage for $60/mo.... I don't like the 5GB cap but I do like the router wifi thing... Feels like a scam since 5GB may go quickly if you have several computers online at one time. I would consider it for $150 if I could have unlimited data and share the value with my family (2 voice w data stuffand one unlimited wifi)

N/A

Good info.

With that kind of pricing, I rather get an iphone and use the 3G to set up a laptop to use it as a wifi point.

the only way to benefits it is if there are 5 people using the same device at the same place and share the bill. But if it is in such a case, they should've be using a regular internet provider with wifi setup.