cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Statement about Android 2.2 (Froyo) Update for Samsung Epic 4G

Journeyman

Epic 4G users: We want to assure you that Froyo for the Epic 4G is still in the works. Sprint works very closely with our manufacturing partners to ensure that we deliver the best possible customer experience on our wireless devices. We approve the release of software updates when a new software version provided by the manufacturer can bring a better overall customer experience on the device. It is our intention to bring these updates to our customers as quickly as possible but only after they meet our rigorous testing criteria.

We can't provide any guidance on an exact or estimated release date at this time, but please know we are working to get Froyo out for the Epic as quickly as possible.

89 Comments
N/A

Right. This should have been done months ago. No excuses.

Journeyman

Let me get this straight... what you're saying is " blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah..."

Right, nice to know but we heard all that before. Anything else NEW?

Journeyman

Lets pray it doesnt take THIS long for Gingerbread.....

N/A

It'll be time for an upgrade by then anyway.

Wizard

I'm afraid I have to agree with some of the previous posts.  It's nice to have an official statement, but this doesn't really tell us anything significantly new, and thus isn't very helpful.  This is basically just "we're working on it and it's coming soon/ASAP".  If I'm not mistaken, this is pretty much the same thing we've been told for months. I really don't understand the huge delay in updating the Epic, and no one seems to be providing any solid information to explain the delay.  It's still being tested seems like the best we're going to get, and that's not much.  Is the problem with Sprint's apps, fixing GPS bugs, Samsung's customizations, or what?  Is Samsung not getting updates to you, or are you not approving them, and if the latter, why?

This has been going on for a long time, without clear explanations of the delays, and that's frustrating.  Froyo's been out for something like 8 months and the Epic -- which launched with 2.1/Eclair, an already outdated version of Android -- for about 5 months.  Other phones have gotten Froyo, and Galaxy S phones in other parts of the world have gotten Froyo.  What is so unique or hard about getting the US Galaxy S phones (like the Epic) updated in a timely manner?  The Epic is my first Android phone and first Samsung phone, and while I generally like the phone and OS, this Froyo update has been a terrible introduction to the Android world.  I'm getting turned off of Samsung because of it, and I'm not exactly liking Sprint's handling of the situation either.  Statements like the above do little to ease the frustrations of customers who have been waiting for months for an update promised long ago.

The lack of real communication is, I think, an even bigger problem than  not having the update yet. I certainly want a solid update, one that will  work without problems or bricking my phone, and I know such things take  time.  But this long, when others have been updated already?  Between the silence, stock responses, and lack of responses to rumors, it looks like we're just being kept in the dark, and that's not a good thing.  I think that most customers would be more understanding if given sufficient information to understand the situation.  I don't think we do, really, and so the longer the update takes, the more our frustration grows.  *Please* be more open about this -- what's going on, who's doing what, and why (or why not) -- and provide solid information, more than what this had.  Thank you.

Journeyman

The only way I would be satisfied after this debacle would be a QUICK UPDATE to Gingerbread.When I first purchased the Samsung phone Sprint employees assured me a quick turnaround to Froyo 2.2 and here we are 3 months later and no Froyo.I should have went with my first decision to go with HTC Evo,but of course the Sprint sales person said I should go with the Samsung.Plus,you charge an extra $10.additionally each month for such good quality service and there is no way I can get 4G it's not available in my area and can not use the GPS there are glitches all over the place(unreliable).Also,how come Evo can get Froyo and Samsung not,also no answers to questions from Sprint on any of your customers concerns.I am real close in taking a loss with Samsung and Sprint to get rid of both of you.Do not take your customers for GRANTED,it's a good way to go out of business!!!! And,all Sprint does is BLOW SMOKE(you know the rest).

One Unhappy Spint Customer

N/A

What's the latest on the Tranform update? I was told when i bought my phone by years end. Now we are nearing the end of Jan. No update. We Transform owners were mis-led.

N/A

well i am double crossed because in addition to have an epic full of bugs and malfunctions my wife is stuck with the worst phone i've ever had a moment. what a shame both samsung.  i still think my  previous phones htc's were even worseee. lets see where this end; maybe a pair of cdma iphones with sprint from verizon. LOL

N/A

Couldn't have said it better myself. If you want your customers to be patient and understanding then stop with the recorded responses and tell the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N/A

Sprint, you have failed in my eyes. There are no words to describe how disappointed I am in your updates to a phone that has huge GPS and keyboard issues. I have personally brought 5 people to Sprint, telling them they are great with taking care of their customers. All these people have family plans. And now because of the egoistical matter that you treat this, I look like someone untrustworthy because they didn’t get updates. I praised Sprint working in a huge AT&T corporate campus, never again!

You need to deliver, stop promising! Fire these Indian idiots that you hired to do this cheaply and find some real developers!

I can tell you that 3 of those 5 people that are with Sprint family plans are about to have their contract over with you and I will do everything I can to make people not come to Sprint if you cannot produce any results.

I work on a 6k people campus, desktop and server support, and if you think that loosing 3 families is bad, then wait till I start talking to everyone on that campus and tell them how bad you are with updates.

This is a flagship device, you should have expected that technical people buy it and demand updates. If you didn’t then, please impale the moron that is in charge of this acquisition.

Journeyman

Making a completely empty statement does nothing to ease my frustration with treatment of us Epic owners.  I will never again recommend Sprint or Samsung products to anyone and have already saved lots of people by talking them into getting the Evo which receives regular support.

N/A

I wish I could get away with telling Sprint, "Don't worry, the money for my bill is coming soon coming ASAP." This is the same worthless throwaway statement you gave us 4 months ago.

N/A

Hear hear!  That's well-stated and gets to the heart of the matter.  Everyone understands that "stuff happens" (to put it politely), but we expect more than vague, unsupported promises.  Sprint (and to be fair it's understood this applies to other carriers, but you are OUR carrier hence we do single you out with good reason), please support your "ASAP" with some kind of useful status information.

Journeyman

not excuses for that.

N/A

wow I am up for an up grade..I was leaving a Blackberry for the Epic..Now I dont know what im going to do ..I dont even have the phone and I dont know if its a good idea to get it  or not

N/A

The sad part about this "announcement" is that the only reason we are even getting that is because the Samsung Vibrant was updated yesterday with Froyo (Android 2.2.1).  So Sprint was almost obligated to tell us something.  And this was the best they could do. WOW!!!!!!!! Absolutely unacceptable. So if another carrier now has the udate on their Galaxy S phone, what's the deal with Sprint????

We all were bamboozled when we purchased this phone by Sprint Reps that this phone was equivalent to or better than the Evo, thus worth the $50 increase in price.  This was obviously a lie and a total misrepresentation of the product we purchased, when 4 months later I still dont have flash on my phone and Evo owners do.  I still can't even access this media hub crap  that suppose to be so great.  ASAP is not cutting it for me anymore.   I WANT ANSWERS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Journeyman

I was at CES where my 2nd Moment finally died for good.  I picked up the Epic 4G after a fun cab ride from the strip, and I was appalled that 2.2 was still not out for this phone.  What is the problem?  Am I going to have to hack every Sprint phone I get, or switch carriers after being with Sprint since 1997?

Journeyman

I feel so bad for people who purchased the Samsung Epic after being told by Sprint representatives that it would be updated to 2.2 "soon."  Soon, for some people, has so far been over 5 months of waiting, with no explanation given other than "We don't release updates until we know it works." 

I want to blame Samsung for this, since 3/4 major carriers don't have Froyo for their Galaxy S phone, but I have a feeling the problem has more to do with the bloatware that Sprint/other carriers are trying to put on a phone that would work just as well without it. 

Give us the real reason why it continues to takes months longer than people were led to believe to get this update.

N/A

To be honest, I like my Epic with Android 2.1 better than my son's Evo, which has had Android 2.2 for months. BUT... to me this is no longer about the phone.

This has become yet another confirmation that Sprint lacks the ability to communicate with high-end users. It has demonstrated that Sprint can at best handle the prepaid teenies and basic voice users who don't expect much from their wireless carrier.

Customers who can afford high-end phones and data plans demand accountability. They want to be told the truth, and they want to see their expectations met. It seems like such a simple thing. Yet Verizon is the only US carrier that has cracked that code. And they will blow Sprint out of the water this year. Looking at the financial situation of Sprint and Clearwire, the head start with 4G was their last best hope to remain independent and thrive. At this point, it's blown.

I plan to stick with Sprint until my 2yr contract runs out, or the network shuts down, whichever comes first. After that....buh-bye.

Journeyman

@Matthias, We certainly understand being eager to get the latest update. As an Epic owner myself, I too am looking forward to the new features. But a lot of complex testing and tweaking actually goes into preparing device updates. Sprint wants to make sure that the new version offers a better user experience than the old. 

This is a partnership between the device manufacturer, in this case Samsung, and the carrier, Sprint. *Both* companies are working on this update. Although it may not be much consolation to hear "we're still working on it", that is indeed where we are. We are working to deliver the update as quickly as possible, but not before it's ready. We can't provide an estimate on when it will be released, mainly because there are so many moving parts to the update process that multiple development and testing variables can impact the delivery date.

I would respectfully disagree with your comment regarding other carriers and their ability to communicate. With the exception of T-Mobile, other carriers have yet to release Froyo for their Galaxy S devices. You mention that Verizon is doing a much better job of communicating, but they actually said “no word yet on Froyo” http://twitter.com/#!/VerizonWireless/status/28512186754138112.

Rest assured, Sprint and Samsung are working together to get this out as fast as we can. We will share new information here as soon as we have it.

N/A

@SeanD.

I would still say that the current froyo situation for the epic phone is a result of incompetence on both the part of Sprint and Samsung.  If you are truly working together on this update then both parties should have been working on their parts from the beginning (June 2010).  Whatever pieces that Samsung is adding does not affect the root code of the operating system and should not prevent Sprint from working on their portions.  There is no reason why Sprint should not have had their part ready to go as soon as Samsung handed them their finished product.

I will grant Sprint the fact that Samsung has seriously dropped the ball with getting this update out, but that does not relieve you of the responsibility to deliver it to customers in a timely manner as soon as they delivered it to you.  Sprint advertised this phone as being upgradable to 2.2 which in most manners of interpretation also means that it will be upgraded in a reasonable time frame.  What I am now experiencing is not a "reasonable time frame".  Android 2.3 has already been released and we're still waiting for 2.2.

I also don't appreciate the Sprint responses which make the situation sound more technical than it really is.  There are only a few manufacturers worldwide which produce the processors and graphics chips that go into these phones so all of the talk that they have to develop the drivers etc for every unique device is total BS.

This will undoubtedly be my last Samsung phone as it baffles me how such a large corporation can bungle this release (and several before it) on such a large scale.  There are 10 million galaxy S phones out there and everyone was waiting until very recently.  As much as I hate Apple, they would never botch a situation to this degree.

To all of those who wonder when you will get the gingerbread (2.3) update....news flash.....we won't ever be getting it.  Samsung will probabaly follow their typical protocol and only support one version past when the phone was released.  There will be a new phone model for Samsung to hock and they won't be bothered by bringing their existing customers up to the current technology.

N/A

What I dont understand is how the froyo update has been confirmed for the vibrant, which is also a galaxy s phone, and it is also out for the galaxy tablet so what is the big holdup with the release of it for the Epic???

N/A

well im sorry but you droped the ball sprint every country has2.2 but us it cant be that hard to give us the update

N/A

I got the moment and now the epic. I didn't want to believe that Samsung is bad at supporting their own product. Remember how long it took for the Samsung moment to update the software? Sprint and Samsung are doing the same thing with the Epic. They waited until the next Samsung phone come out and start to release the update for the old phone. Sprint is trying to have people putting out pocket money for newer phone. So, I am telling people that I know - not to get any Samsung phone from Sprint!!! They are really suck at supporting their own product. Rate plan $69.99 is unbeatable but the product stink. I have friends on Sprint now network wanting or thinking of leaving Sprint for slow update release. They are willing to pay the $200 termination fees and not coming to Sprint. Words are being spread about the Epic not getting any upgrade.......

N/A

I just got the epic yesterday and after reading about the froyo update, I'm actually wondering if we'll get 2.3 at all?!

Journeyman

What a joke. Froyo came out almost a year ago.

My 4G is non-existent.

Customer service is trained to lie to you. After a lenghty login and a half an hour wait, the first thing they do is ask you the same information you just entered to login. Any question you ask them will be misunderstood and then you will be disconnected. They never follow up like they say they will.

They should at least acknowledge their customers and give honest updates regarding the year long delay of FROYO.

Let me add insult to our injury. I was an AT&T customer for 15 years and this past September I decided to give Sprint an opportunity because I heard the customer service was better but I found that to be incorrect.

I have the Epic phone and not only have I gotten the run around when my phone had functional problems. I couldn't get any assistance at the Sprint store. I had to send my phone to Samsung who replaced it for free after speaking to them and they diagnosed that my phone was defective from time of purchase. I contacted Sprint Corporate office, fully expecting them to understand what I experienced at their store and I assigned a service rep who never talked to me or returned my phone calls. I left three messages with this rep and they would call during hours I could not talk, which were explained in the messages and emails. After two months now, I have not talked to anyone that has been of any help. My phone reception is terrible. My 4G is non-existence. My GPS is terrible. I had to wait for three weeks to get my phone back from Samsung. I am in the process of selling my Epic to a Sprint customer for whatever my early termination fee is and will be going back to AT&T and purchasing a iPhone 4. Sprint customer service is terrible and their phone service is to match.

One good thing did happen out of this, I was able to give my finding of Sprint service over to our companies CIO who charged me with looking into the big three cell companies for new cell phone service for our company and guess who's bid was tossed in the trash.

Soon to be Goodbye Sprint. I will make sure everyone I know understand to stay away from Sprint.

N/A

this is complete bs...I wish I could put out a statement whenever I was late on my bill

N/A

Ok, The funny part here is that this blog is on sprints network!!!! they are ignoring what is right in front of them.  What sprint should do is instead of even finishing this 2.2 update they should just give us all new androids free. They should give us the EVO SHIFT!! It looks like the Epic but with 2.2!!! IF they can come up with 2.3 for that it should be a piece of cake to give to the epic!!!!  I have a feeling someone is going to get really mad and start suing. One of the reasons I got this phone is I thought it would have updates. I had the black berry 830i with nextel. IT STUNK!!! What is even more intresting is that they already have at least two new phones for the android out since the epic.They got the new EVO SHITFT!!! come one!!! how long did it take them to make that phone? The EPIC HAS BEEN OUT SINCE AT LEAST SEPTEMBER!!!! Sprint is cutting short on their deal. What if all of us that dont have 2.2 cut out on our part of the contract and not give them there what 100 dollars a month!!! Sprint we need more answers. You need to have a dead line becuase you are not being responsible for current customers and are instead trying to get more with you new EVO SHIFT!!!! PLEASE if you need to give us 2.3 as it is already out for others. Everyone who has an epic needs to write on this wall to get their attention!!! And as for samung they also promised and i am sure they are ignoring this problem also.

N/A

Sprint,

You could cut down on the venom with a simple option.

Allow all those who have been wating and wanting the option to assist in the debug.

Please provide a opt-in 2.2 beta upgrade with the followings caveats:

1. that it is not sprints responsibility for any data loss or operational issues, plus standard beta disclaimers.

2. that the people must file/report any bugs they find.

3. user assumes all resposibility, blah blah.

This option will at least allow those who want, to risk the upgrade and you will get a not insignificant army of testers who are mostly technical enough to help, possibly speeding up future releases.

Since Android is open source use the open source model for development.

Many of the people who are most upset are technical minded and would be able to assist.

Jestre

N/A

I can't believe that I still cannot use voice commands via bluetooth on my epic. That is the only reason I care about 2.2 and it is a function that came on everyone of my last 4 phones and because of that, I never even thought to ask if it did not work on a flagship smart phone. Yes, I am to blame for thinking that a very expensive smart phone would have the common features that most of the cheap phones do, but I've learned my lesson and will go back to HTC products soon and give this phone to someone that would never know the difference between eclair and froyo anyway.

Journeyman

I agree, I think that the lack of functionality in the bluetooth stack is pathetic! Can't listen to voicemails on bluetooth (Don't want to use speaker to broadcast private messages to anyone within earshot- and I didn't buy a headset so I can get pulled over for holding the phone to my ear). The GPS is inaccurate, I can not get 4G services anywhere around where I live. This thing is a disaster, my TREO 650 had better support than this! BTW, anyone notice that all the most recent articles about this froyo debacle no longer show up in google searches? I just read a couple stories yesterday and now they don't show up in my results for the same query today...hmm...curious....

Journeyman
N/A

I have been a Sprint customer for 10 years and I do like the Epic (and am fortunate to get 4G coverage) but I agree, this delaying of the 2.2 upgrade is really tarnishing a company that looked like they were finally making a turn-around after many years of negative results. For GPS, I use the Google Navigation app which seems to work better than Sprint Navigation. It's almost getting to the point that to make up for this PR disaster, they need to skip 2.2 and offer the 2.3 upgrade, at least it would be a pleasant surprise to all.

N/A

From the looks of things Sprint really works hard on getting new customers but does not do anything to keep the ones they got.. If I was a Sprint Stock Holder I would be worried about now.. Word To The Wise, If  I was a Sprint VP I would learn to get updates out a little quicker and give better phone upgrade prices for your long term customers...

N/A

Unfortunately this is too little too late.  When I purchased this phone for top dollar and agreed to an additional $10 per month fee for spotty 4G coverage, I was promised a upgrade to address the numerous functional deficiencies of the phone.  It has been 6 months and still no firm date for providing this upgrade.

Very disappointed long term Sprint Customer.

N/A

we need the update as soon as possible, to drive in california without bluetooth is illegal and so is dialing, without the bluetooth dialing which is a given on most phones i am breaking  the law everyday,,, thanks for the "hangup"

N/A

So you put up a blog to say that you have nothing to say. You guys really think customers would like happy to know that you have nothing to say. Use dates and deliver on that date. Don't hide behind "Near Future". It works only once.

N/A

Just adding my voice to the list of dissatisfied customers. Where is our update?

N/A

Its just a sad sad situation that we [epic 4g users] are in..we can only hope that Froyo will be deployed soon..

N/A

I have been a Sprint customer for about 7 years and a shareholder for the last 2.  I switched to the Samsung Epic from the HTC Hero because I wanted a better phone.  When I bought the phone I agreed to more data charges (even though I live in an area without 4G) and a higher price tag with the understanding that the Epic would soon be on par with the HTC Evo.  After using it for a week, I told everyone in my family to buy the Epic as their next phone.  I have since changed my mind.  It is absolutely ridiculous that Samsung and Sprint can not update the Epic to Android 2.2.  The phone was marketed after 2.2 came out so do not give me this excuse that it requires additional testing.  For Heaven's sake, T-Maybe has already introduced an update.  ASAP means nothing to me and I can imagine everyone feels its time for Sprint and Samsung to release a timetable.  The screen might be better on the Epic but otherwise I feel my next phone will be a HTC.  And I doubt we Epic owners will ever see Android 2.3 but that will be true for many Android owners.  Get with it Sprint or I will change carriers when my contract ends.  Stop treating paying customers like children and actually give us the truth.  We would be a lot less angry in the end if you tell us the update will not come out till June rather than just dragging us along for the next couple of months with "ASAP."

N/A

Ok I see Samsung is in charge of the update.But why is Sprint not mad at Samsung! Sprint if you dont want to lose your customers start yelling also!!!!! You bought the rights so that you can make profit not lose!!! Come on!! This phone is starting to stink. I took a freind to the ER today and I needed to use the gps. Guess what it could not find me for like 10 mins! why is that I was out side not in a building and I needed it then. I had full bars.My friend's blackbarry( which really is not intened for gps but email got connection first) Yet agian Sprint fails me. This is sad. I have a 250 dollar phone and the 100 or 50 dollar phone works before mine. Sprint lower the price or you are ripping people off and that is not fair. I payed 100 dollars this month for my cell to work and it failed in an emergency!!!! Thanks. This phone also says that I have full bars but when I text it does not send my text!!! Overall, sprint start going after samsung now if it is not your fault becuase it is due to the fact I bought it in a sprint store and not a Samsung store!!!

N/A

What I don't understand is how the Nexus S, which is essentially the same phone as the Epic, is out now with Gingerbread but the rest of the Galaxy S phones can't even get Froyo!! Something is not right there...

Journeyman

I agree, I am in charge of procuring phones for a Government Center consisting of over 2K employees. We have a Sprint account that is growing smaller by the week due to this and similar issues. What a huge loss in revenue between data devices and phones. Now that Verizon has a comparable 4G serivice Sprints account will dwindle ever smaller. I also praised Sprint and recomended thier mobile solutions to friends and coworkers due to what i thought was their forward thinking network and great customer service (fail/fail).  I feel foolish now and will recomend Verizon and thier solutions in the future. Oh and Sumsung bite me!! 

Journeyman

I was promised by the Sprint Saleman 4 months ago that Android v2.2 was going to be available shortly. He lied to me. It is now apparent that Sprint salesmen KNOW that Android v2.2 might NEVER be available and they keep selling Galaxy S black boxes that do NOT provide what is advertised or sold. This is fraud against the public. Those representing large corporations or the government that have been defrauded by Sprint selling defective (it doesn't work), and deficient (engineering did not provide what was specified), and fraudlent (known junk was directed by Marketing and Sales to be sold where both knew it was both defective and deficient) merchandise may gather their forces to bring a class-action suit against Sprint. Sprint marketing management is culpable for knowingly pushing junk on the public and then having the gaul to charge a premium for it. The Sprint CEO is culpable for directing this theft to happen in the first place. Sprint engineering (if anyone has the audacity to admit to being one) is culpable for violating their professional integrity by letting defective and deficient junk (not yet products) to be marketed in the first place. The MBA idiots who thought that the bottom line was more important that company survival ought to be fired and black-listed from ever practicing their MBAness again. If a resume ever came across my desk indicating that individual had worked for Sprint, they would have a high mountain to climb to convince me their Sprint experience had not corrupted them so badly that they could be rehabilitated at all.

These Sprint "Administrators" who admit they have NO knowledge of when V2.2 will be out are the most pathetic. When I was a software program manager and one of my team leaders told me progress on his tasks were "further along than I might think", I did what I could to get him fired or reassigned. Under threat of loosing his job, I eventually got projected dates from him with updates once a week. The dates were reasonable. I was then able to report those completion dates to the customer. Oddly enough, that customer was Samsung for a project at their Korean memory FAB.

It looks like nobody at Sprint has the guts to hold Samsung's feet to the fire. I can assure you that if the tables were turned that Samsung would be roasting Sprint well done by now. Heads would roll. What it appears is that Samsung has basically told Sprint to "kiss-off". Sprint: Samsung really does not value your business. And neither does Google as Android is THEIR product. It is time for Sprint to fire the children and hire some adults who know how to run a project and a business.

N/A

Sprint is the WORST provider i ever been too everyone take your money and run they will make you pay 200 plus dollars for a phone a 100 dollars for a bill 10 dollars for insurance you can't use and when your phone breaks after having it for 2 months that make you pay them an additional 100 just to get a new one wtf is insurance for again you dumb a**es and no one can speak english and they ones that can dont wanna help you thank sprint i will be taking my money some where else or yall can send me a new phone! a**holes

N/A

i agree, sprint is a take your money and run operation.

N/A

I agree, we have been waiting long enough!  Cut the BS and get it released!

N/A

Samsung and Sprint are the biggest scam on the market 2011.

No update for epic and 4G is slower than Tmobile!

N/A

I  going finish my contract with sprint because i still fucking wating for  the updated of my epic 4 g.