cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlackBerry PlayBook with Wi-Fi Available from Sprint on June 5

Journeyman

The much anticipated BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet with Wi-Fi® connectivity and 16 GB of storage will go on sale in all Sprint direct ship sales channels, including Sprint Stores, Business Sales, www.sprint.com and Telesales (1-800-SPRINT1) on Sunday, June 5, for $499.99 (plus tax).

BlackBerry PlayBook delivers a professional-grade, consumer-friendly experience that redefines the possibilities of mobile computing. This ultra-portable tablet, measuring less than half an inch thick and weighing less than a pound, looks and feels great. It features a vivid 7-inch high-resolution display that is highly-responsive with a fluid touch screen experience. It also offers industry-leading performance, uncompromised web browsing with full Adobe Flash support, true multitasking, HD multimedia, advanced security features and out-of-the-box enterprise support.

Customers that have a BlackBerry smartphone can also benefit from BlackBerry® Bridge™, a unique feature that allows the user to wirelessly and securely connect their BlackBerry smartphone, running OS 5.0 or higher, to the BlackBerry PlayBook over Bluetooth®. The secure connection allows the user to access their BlackBerry smartphone's email, address book, calendar, memo pad, task list, BBM™ (BlackBerry® Messenger™) and browsing functionality using the large display on the tablet.

BlackBerry Bridge is available as a free download on BlackBerry App World™ and will be supported on BlackBerry smartphone data plans from Sprint for no additional charge.

BlackBerry PlayBook features include:

• 7-inch 1024x600 WSVGA capacitive LCD touch screen
  • Ultra-portable at less than a pound and less than one-half inch thick: 0.9 lbs (425g) and 5.1” x 7.6” x 0.4” (130mm x 194mm x 10mm)
  • 1GHz dual-core processor
  • BlackBerry® Tablet OS with support for symmetric multiprocessing
  • MP3, AAC and WMA audio playback
  • Support for high resolution video playback (H.264, MPEG4, WMV)
  • 1080p HDMI output
  • Two 1080p HD cameras for video conferencing and video capture – 3 megapixel front-facing and 5 megapixel rear-facing
  • 1 GB RAM memory
  • 16 GB internal storage
  • GPS, Orientation Sensor (Accelerometer), 6-Axis Motion Sensor (Gyroscope), Digital Compass (Magnetometer)
  • Stereo speakers and stereo microphones
  • Wi-Fi® (802.11 a/b/g/n) connectivity
  • Bluetooth 2.1+EDR support

In addition to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet with Wi-Fi, Sprint and RIM are working together on the BlackBerry 4G PlayBook tablet.

The BlackBerry and RIM families of related marks, images and symbols are the exclusive properties and trademarks of Research In Motion Limited.

9 Comments
N/A

Exciting! I hope Sprint gets a Blackberry touch screen phone!

N/A

Wow! I was really excited until I realized it's not the 4G version. I already have the WIFI playbook.

Master

Correction!

BlackBerry Bridge is available as a free download on BlackBerry App World™ (TRUE) and will be supported on BlackBerry smartphone data plans from Sprint for no additional charge." (FALSE)

This feature basically enables "tethering" or Phone as modem and is not included in Sprint's Everything data plans.  Some older Blackberry plans "may" still have a tethering service included and some business plans may as well.  But for standard Individual liable Sprint customers, this feature will be a $29.99 add-on.  Contact Customer Care, *2, if you are unsure of the services included in your plan.

• 29.99 per Month BlackBerry Tablet Connection Plan (Added to you Blackberry Smartphone's plan)
N/A

I can't begin to list the many disappointments I've suffered at the hand of Sprint in recent months. I've another to add to the list, unfortunately. Sprint promised to be among the first to debut the new Blackberry Playbook, disappointment CHECK, back some time so far removed from this date, June 05, that it can no longer be considered "groundbreaking", or a debut. Sprint has once again lived up to its ability to not fail to disappoint. It's June 05, and I find that Sprint isn't like other carriers, Verizon, AT&T, etc., in providing their promised device as soon as possible, say MIDNIGHT, UGH! Really, why has Sprint failed their customer base yet again? If you can't deliver the promised device at the tick of the day it is promised, then make damn sure your press release, official or otherwise, states during REGULAR business hours. BUZZ KILL! I've waited for what, exactly!

N/A

Sadly, I inquired to Sprint about the BB Torch myself and they had the nerve to persuade me to get a BB Style (flip phone).  Very disappointing.  Based on my conversation with them, they have no intention of getting the BB Torch at all and the Torch is exactly what I have been dreaming about.  Especially since I hate the "virtual" keyboard but you have the best of both worlds on the Torch.  Now as for the Playbook, I have one question....what is so SPECTACULAR about getting a Playbook from Sprint when you get one from Best Buy at the same price??? 

Here's my reply in regard to the correction that was posted by tomdeavor....did I read that correctly??  You have to pay an additional 30 bucks a month to have your  phone "tethered".  Wow..the things people do for every nickle an dime.  I did not know that.  And for the LOYAL sprint customer such as myself, I do not things its fair.  They should at least add an additional 5 dollars to the everything plan for those who own the BB phone and will purchase the Playbook.  For those who does not have a BB phone and just want to purchase the playbook or have service on it should be charged 30 bucks.  We Loyal customers needs decent rewards.  THINK SPRINT THINK.....

Well, guess that just another disappointment to me.

Journeyman JSC
Journeyman

I like the Torch form also, but don't you think that RIM has had an exclusive deal with AT&T which cut out the other carriers, including Sprint.

Perhaps the new CDMA Torch will come to Sprint.

Journeyman JSC
Journeyman

What I want to know is whether Sprint will ever release BB 5.0 for all those Curve 8330s they sold a couple of years ago.  If they do, then I'm on board for the PlayBook with Bridge.  If they don't, then I'll probably have to spend my money on a new phone instead.

Journeyman
Master

In response to MS T, the charge is for using your Sprint Blackberry phone's internet connection on the Blackberry Playbook.  Blackberry Bridge has other features in it as well, like "access to your BlackBerry smartphone's email, address book, calendar, memo pad, task list, and BBM™.  The "browsing" feature is purely "phone as a modem."  And some of the other features require data and syncing, like email, calendar, and BBM.  So to make it simple for customers, by having the Blackberry Bridge feature for $29.99/mo, all of your business and social content from your Blackberry smartphone can be viewed on your playbook as long as the phone is within bluetooth range AND, you'll be able to browse the web from the Sprint network. 

Tom