cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAQs about the WiMax network shutdown

FAQs about the WiMax network shutdown

Last Updated: Apr 24, 2015

We are in the process of implementing major improvements to the Sprint 4G LTE Network, including the deployment of Sprint Spark, an enhanced LTE network. As a part of this process, Sprint will cease operating the Sprint 4G (WiMax) Network on 11/6/2015.

What this means to you:

• On 11/6/2015, Sprint will no longer support Sprint 4G WiMax devices and services, your WiMax device(s) will no longer connect to a wireless network (see note below regarding dual-band devices), and the terms and provisions of your contract related solely to 4G WiMax devices, products and services will no longer be applicable.
  • For devices with Sprint 4G WiMax and 3G CDMA capabilities, the Nationwide Sprint Network will continue to support the 3G CDMA capability of the device after the Sprint 4G (WiMax) Network is shut down.
  • 4G WiMax-only devices, such as connection or broadband cards and modules, will no longer have service available and will not connect to a wireless network.
  • To continue to meet your wireless data needs, we have a selection of comparable devices using 4G LTE or Sprint Spark technologies which are not impacted by the shutdown of the Sprint 4G (WiMax) Network.

If you have immediate questions, please visit a Sprint store or shop on sprint.com to check out the options available to you. We look forward to continuing to meet your wireless data needs and to bring you exciting new services.

18 Comments
Journeyman

I have five phones on my account which will be impacted by the shut down of wimax. I welcome the LTE transition, but when iIbought these phones and changed to a plan requiring me to pay the full price of phone upgrades, I had no idea Sprint would force me to upgrade my phones a couple of years later. I'm perfectly happy with all of my phones, and not interested in paying $3000 for new ones! Sprint should pay for new ones, or prepare for a mass exodus of long term loyal customers. I'll be leaving if I have to buy new phones.

Wizard

Hello, This is not complicated. If you need to buy new phones then You should not buy your phones from Sprint or any other carriers as they are all seriously over priced. there are a lot of other online sites where you can get the same phone a lot cheaper. In my case I went to EBAY and got a new phone for 1/3rd the price. That left me with the options of getting a new 2 year contract, or a no contract plan with no ETF and I can leave any time I want. Don't let Sprint or any other carrier rip you off for an excessive amount of money. You don't have to go to EBAY to find much better deals. When you go to buy a new phone then 1st request the MIED and verify it with Sprint. When they tell you that it is viable then buy the phone. This can only save you a lot of money and Sprint can't charge you a huge sum of money! Also if you decide to leave Sprint then do yourself a favor and read the forums of the other carriers 1st to make sure that this is not happening there too. I am only trying to help. I wish you good luck.

Journeyman

I'll definitely look at that. I think Sprint should replace the phones or issue a credit toward new ones.

Wizard

I agree. it is getting to expensive to have a cell phone anymore!

Journeyman

I am not very happy with sprint. sprint stated my evo phone will not work on their new 4g lte system. 

Journeyman

There is simply no way I am going to pay for new phones - from Ebay or otherwise.  I will simply go to another carrier.  I bought a Sprint specific phone per Sprints requirements.  The change of the network ( instead of following industry standards in the first place ) is a SPRINT GENERATED PROBLEM they need to address.

Short and sweet...if they provide me a new phone I will complete my plan term.  Otherwise it's adios!

And by the way - THE TOTAL LACK OF INFORMATION BEING PROVIDED AT THIS POINT IS INSULTING TO LONG TERM CUSTOMERS!  ALL I GET IS THE RUN AROUND ON HOW SPRINT IS GOING TO ADDRESS THE MASS OF CURRENT CUSTOMERS WHO WILL BE DISCONNECTED.

Hi Webstle - In this case, I would definitely recommend for you to post in the Customer Service forum in Community or call Customer Care directly.  I am unaware of how this is being handled with WiMAX customers. 

GrandMaster

they have been converting to LTE for a few years now..how is it this is the first you have heard of it? not to mention if you still have a 4G wimax phone its safe to say that thing is REALLY outdated and im surprised its still even working

Journeyman

You need to go complain though so that the Federal Trade Commission and the FCC (who will send you letters dismissing the complaint but who will record it for statistical purposes) can document it. My sneaking suspicion is that there will be a class action lawsuit (maybe a couple) filed by this time next year.

Check out ClearShutdown dot Com (because Sprint keeps censoring anyone who posts the link to that website) and you gotta ask yourself why! I'm sure the lawyers will next year.

Wizard

Hi Fireguy, I can't can't believe how short sighted some of these people are.! They didn't know the 4G wimax network was coming to an end? And as for buying a new phone, I only offered another way to buy a new phone. Nothing more! LOL . I got a new phone for 1/3rd the price that Sprint was offering and by doing that I was not stuck in a CONTRACT!!! My phone works flawlessly cause I fixed it myself. Sprint will wait for a fix or an upgrade from the manufacturer. that could take up to a year!!!

GrandMaster

back when the switch was started i remember Sprint sending out either a email or paper letter explaining what was going to happen and it gave some options. this whole wimax shutting down deal is by far not new..

Wizard

I remember. I saw the posts.

GrandMaster

yeah me to lol..pulling up some of the old posts about it..from back in 2012

0_0

Journeyman

While it may be true the information was provided done time ago, it is also true that many (more than not) were/are clueless as to what this meant. I don't recall ever seeing this until today. I do know when I had my Note 4, changed out it was given to me with the new Spark technology and the inability to do some things I could do before. "Go figure" technology going backwards. But since I kind of keep up with the latest of technology, I only have one out of 8 devices that will be impacted and I will swap it out. I think there will be a lot of long time customers leaving and many suits filed next year.

Customer since 1999

Journeyman

You need to register your complaint with the FTC and the FCC! Also, spread the site around a little. Rumor has it that there are class action lawyers looking into the issue this very moment!

Journeyman

How can i tell which devices will be affected?

Journeyman

Pretty much anything that says Clear on it or any older devices that used the WiMAX network. Go check out ClearShutdown dot Com.

Journeyman

where is the list of phones that will be and will not be able to connect to network