cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Announces First Major Markets to Receive 4G LTE in 2012

Journeyman

Bob Azzi, senior vice president – Network, Sprint

“Within the first half of 2012, Sprint customers should experience first-hand the wide-reaching improvements we have made in terms of boosting voice and data quality. With advanced smartphones and sophisticated wireless modems, our customers are using more and more mobile data, and one of our top priorities is to provide the best technology possible to improve our customers’ experience.”

Our customers in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio are expected to be among the first to benefit from 4G LTE and improved 3G coverage in the first half of 2012.

Dan Hesse, Sprint CEO, made this announcement at the annual Citigroup Entertainment, Media and Telecommunications Conference.

We have been sharing information in recent months about our overall network strategy known as Network Vision. The launch of these metropolitan areas marks the next step in this strategy.

Sprint customers can expect to enjoy ultra-fast data speeds, improved 3G voice and data quality, and stronger in-building signal penetration providing a more reliable wireless experience. Whether a Sprint customer is on a smartphone streaming video, browsing the Web with a mobile hotspot, or making a voice call to someone across the country, everyone in the upgraded areas is expected to benefit from the advanced 3G/4G LTE network.

We promise to share more information about these plans as we move forward. Please check back here on Sprint.com Community, follow @Sprint on Twitter or visit our Facebook page so you can receive those updates.

Here are answers to at least some initial questions that some of our customers might have:

LTE Phones and data cards

We plan to launch CDMA/LTE devices midyear, with up to 15 devices expected in 2012, including handsets, tablets and data cards.

WiMAX devices

Many Sprint customers already have been enjoying 4G with phones such as Samsung Epic 4G Touch and HTC EVO 3D, which operate on our WiMAX network. 

Sprint remains committed to our WiMAX customers and plans to sell WiMAX devices with two-year contracts through 2012. Dual-mode WiMAX devices that also operate on the CDMA network are expected to get the benefits of Network Vision associated with Sprint’s 3G service, but they will not operate on Sprint’s LTE network.

More information:

Press Release: Sprint Announces First Major Markets to Receive 4G LTE in 2012

27 Comments
Journeyman

how about not screwing the metro detroit area like you did with wimax??

Journeyman

Will Detroit get this??

Journeyman

How about you start reading through your 'community' threads and focus on the issues affecting your existing customers???

FIX THE 7 MONTH OLD EVO 4G SENSE RESETTING ISSUE.

Journeyman

I would really be excited about this but it won't make a difference how  fast their network is when they have it in the 800-850 area. WiMax has  proved that those frequencies don't penetrate buildings well. My home is  1000 ft from a WiMax tower, and it won't penetrate through the house  into the far bedroom. So, we'll still be stuck with 4G until Sprint opens  the higher frequencies.   I would love to have great LTE, but I know how 4G WiMax has performed in the Houston Area.

Journeyman

And New York.....New Jersey?? When is tht going to happen for this area??

Journeyman

You have it twisted. They're rolling out their LTE network on the 1900mhz band. The same band the they use for their current 3G network. Which is way better than Clearwire WiMAX network that is running at the 2500mhz band. Lower is better, Verizon has theirs at 700mhz. Sprint eventually will have LTE in their freed up 800mhz spectrum.

Journeyman

This. New York City, the premier city in the U.S. and most populated definitely needs this. The updated back haul transition to fiber optics will provide consistency and reliable data in a city with over 8 million people. Besides, Verizon and At&t already have a large head start with LTE here. So I think it's wise Sprint makes New York City one of the first markets as well

Journeyman

My bad.....

Journeyman

Did anyone see the rumored or leaked add of the Galaxy Nexus. Lets hope its sooner then later or we might as wait for the next Nexus or something sooner. Personally, I would stick to the Nexus line.

Journeyman

The Galaxy Nexus looks great, first one out with ICS, but I'm wondering if Google won't drop the updating of Galaxy like a hot potato when they start rolling out the Motorola phones now they have bought Motorola Mobility. At least, they may be inclined to put the Samsungs further back in line.

Journeyman

So I've had a 4G phone for almost 2 years but not a 4G network,and now they're coming out with another kind of 4G?  The LTE. so if & when they ever get it to Detroit I'll have to buy a new 4g LTE phone!  That's screwed again!  They should give all us people that have been paying the extra 10 bucks a month for the data plans & phones a free upgrade to the new network phones! This has sucked so bad since I've been using these not so smart phones!

Journeyman

I notied that the first cities to get the new 3 & 4 G are the same ones that already have the 4G network now!  So they get two upgrades before everyone else?

Journeyman YW8
Journeyman

We were told Omaha would have 4G by the 4th quarter 2011. 

Stupid us bought the HTC phones on that promise. 

NEVER happened and they don't know when or if it will.

If we'd of only known the truth.

Journeyman

DOES PHOENIX COME OUT IN 2013? WTF... I THINK I SHOULD PAY MY EARLY TERMINATION FEE AND SWITCH BACK TO VERIZON... MY WIFES PHONE HAS UNBELIEVABLE SPEEDS...

Journeyman

good bye sprint I am not waiting till 2013 for technology everyone else has except for you.   Im in the Detroit area was promised 4g a year ago by sprint CS.    They flat out lied about the 4g rollout in Detroit  and I would imagine the lte roll out will be the same

Journeyman

I hate sprint. When i bought my EVO 4G phone the salesman failed to mention 4g was not available in Arizona where i live and bought the phone. Now they won't return the phone. Who is with me to go to verizon

Verizon has 4g in arizona .

Journeyman

I don't know all the techie stuff on speeds, etc, but I'm pretty bummed that both Verizon and AT&T have 4G service in the San Diego area...wondering when WE will ever get it.  Seems to me that's why Sprint boasts about their "unlimited" data...with snail-pace speeds as 3G, who even wants to be on the web with Sprint services for any amount of time anyway?  It's soooooooooooooo frustrating!!!!!

Journeyman

OMG keep putting salt in the wound. I got one of the first Evo 4G's with the commitment (not promise) 4G would be in my neighborhood by Dec '10; I  barely get 3G . Sprint finally admitted they aren't going to put 4G in my neighborhood but told me to wait for the newer towers; at the same time they are telling me I'm too close to a tower and that's why I have crappy 3G service. And I got the hard press to re-up my contract and get a $99 "new" replacement of the same problematic phone - so I'd be locked into a 2 yr contract with something they don't intend to keep supporting, and oh yeah doesn't work here anyway. But the GPS on the Evo is the bomb, so if I didn't have to pay for the data plan I'd just turn this brick into a GPS for geocaching and get a real phone with real 4G (offered by everyone in my locale BUT Sprint).

If I didn't need a phone this could be a comedy show - having a supervisor tell me my phone was rooted because the main screen didn't look like hers, having another supervisor (call center) tell me that I must be bouncing off Verizon towers so it's Verizon's fault, and the everpresent "it must be an app" - which one - they don't know - and when zi report outages three times I've been told - no one else says there is a problem so it must be your phone (but tons of posts by others with the same outages). Oh Sprint - you should be called Leisurely Walk not Sprint - or maybe you did Sprint way back when, and you should have been a distance runner cause you ran out of steam midway thru the race.

Journeyman

They just keep lying to us in phoenix about 4g i have been with sprint for almost 7 years now and its only because of the unlimited plan i am still here. I have 5 phones with them and cant keep making excuses for sprint not having 4g here. I will end my contract and go to verizon or att. I have had it with all the lies and promises...... Sorry sprint i tried for years good luck!!!!

Journeyman

San Diego never got 4g and so I purposely paid full cash price for my Photon 4g and iphone so as to move to Verizon in a few months.

Wizard

What about Philadelphia when is Philadelphia going to get LTE?

Journeyman

Columbus, OH first rolled out and beta tested Verizon LTE. I have two Veriaon devices and grandfathered in on unlimited LTE hotspot on both devices! I waited for Sprint for many years with a 3G data card for WIMAX which I hear sucks and now I read they are rolling out LTE. Yeah, I'm not holding my breath Sprint as all I hear is lies. Verizon did a great job executing LTE and have many markets glowing in blazing LTE speeds! I average with the mobile hotspot 7mbps to 15 mdps down and 2.5 mbps to 5 mbps uploads and when I tether either phone I get downloads between 15mbps to 25mbps! Put that in your peace pipe and smoke it Sprint! I needed you back in the past but now you are the past and Verizon blew right past you! How does it feel to be behind?

Journeyman

Tell it like it is! Maybe they should have used a Native American name- walks slowly with a cane but certainly not "SPRINT"!

Journeyman

You know what sprint, I've been loyal for over 10 years, I have 6 lines, and been promised 4g for years now. I've invested thousands of dollars in WIMAX 4g phones, I've been through 2 generations of WIMAX phones, constanly being told by customer service "It's coming." Now your switching to LTE, fine but what do I do with all these WIMAX phones, and the extra $10 a month I'm charged per line?

I feel like I've been ripped off, I watch all my friends on their 4g phones from other networks. When my contract is up I'm gone, Metro Detroit has the WORST 3g anywhere, no 4g WIMAX, no LTE slated to be built here. I have literally put thousands into these phones and data charges, and the service is so horrible I can't even use it, and sprint has no plan to make it better here.

I hate to leave after being a customer for well over a decade, but I'm spending a bunch of money on a service I can not use.

Journeyman

We don't even have 4G in Detroit and I feel like an idiot for getting caught up in Sprint's false marketing promises.  It's been like 2 1/2 years that I've been waiting patiently.  I love my phone and I've been w/Sprint for over 12 years.  That's longer than most marriages last nowadays.  I don't think I'm wrong for eyeballing other carriers...especially since I've been lied to over and over by Sprint reps saying it's coming in x months.    

Journeyman

I posted in Jan 2012 that I had paid cash price for my last phone with them so as not to renew my contract. I just wanted to confirm that I did in fact cancel my agreement with Sprint and moved all four of our wireless numbers to Verizon.

Although I haven't had a great customer service experience so far (VZW charged me $140 to activate my phones and refused any credit for it) but the difference between their service (and Sprint's) in San Diego County is like night and day! First and foremost, 4gLTE is abundant. I can now enjoy my phone because it just works, period. My friend in Celexico has Sprint and after doing a speed check, even on 3g my Droid was 5x faster than his Iphone4s.

Farewell, after 15+ years (between Nextel and Sprint) you've been provided mediocre coverage to us, but no more.

Sprint, you should have paid more attention to the service, because the "Chrome won't get you home".

Journeyman

Its a big political ball with Sprint..I was with Verizon before Sprint about a year ago and they were up and running in Philadelphia Market with 4G LTE and Verizon work underground on the subway system..Sprint reception is terrible in stores and just a another string and cup cell phone carrier..