cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint expects to launch Android 2.2 in near future

Journeyman

As work on finalizing the software is under way, Sprint expects to launch Android 2.2 in the near future.

Sorry for any confusion created when we initially made this announcement.  HTC EVO 4G will receive the 2.2 update, Samsung Moment and HTC Hero will not.  Future devices launching with 2.1 also will be updated to 2.2

With the Android 2.2 upgrade, customers can expect improvements to include the following benefits: updates to user interface, improved EAS Support, improved browser performance, including Flash 10x Support, voice dialing over Bluetooth and application storage on external memory.

288 Comments
N/A

Will the Moment be getting this as well?

N/A

Any link to a list of phones that are going to get 2.2?

N/A

my question as well.  will the moment get 2.2?  (want!)

N/A

Wow!  I expected to have to wait until September for the EVO upgrade.  I assume "near future" will be July/August??

Any word on if the 2.2 upgrade for the Hero will also be released at the same time?

N/A

I'm guessing the native hotspot ability will be crippled.

Journeyman

Is this going to be "soon" like the 2.1 update for the Hero was "Coming Soon?"

N/A

You are going to "Launch Android 2.2" what is that supposed to mean... when you say that the EVO will "also" have it as an upgrade".

I hope you are planning to update the Samsung Moment... though my hopes of an update fixing the random radio lockups are quite low... considering after two updates it hasn't been resolved.

Journeyman

No, it will not. 2.2 will not be available for HTC Hero or Samsung Moment

N/A

will this upgrade also wipe all my information and apps off the phone???  is there ANY way to do the upgrades without losing data????????????????

Wizard

detail for us please what "finalizing the software" means.  HTC has it?  Sprint has the HTC version already and is testing?  That's a big difference in definition and time table.

Journeyman

What do you mean the 2.2 upgrade won't be available for the HTC Hero? I purchased the Hero at the end of February on a 2-year contract and now you're telling me that Sprint has already stopped supporting it?? If I'm in a 2-year contract over a phone then I expect 2 years of support for that phone.

Wizard

Can we get at least a time frame? I know it's too early but with every project there is a tentative due date.

Wizard

You can backup your applications and data to the sd card.

Master
Journeyman

That's quite disappointing that support drops for the "old" phones after only a few months. I understand why Sprint doesn't feel that they need to update anything not sitting on a shelf, but this is why carriers shouldn't be doing updates.

Journeyman

"Sprint expects to launch Android 2.2 in the near future. It also will be available as an upgrade on the recently launched HTC EVO 4G."

A friendly suggestion: Please don't word your press snippet like this if you don't plan on supporting any other phones.

"Sprint expects to launch Android 2.2 in the near future." Okay, that's great, 2.2 is coming!

"It will also be available [for the EVO 4G]." Cool, that means more than one phone will be getting it!.

Follow-up comment: "2.2 will not be available for the Samsung Moment and HTC Hero." Well then, since you sell 3 android phones, what other phones WILL be getting it?

Either write it clearly: "The HTC EVO will be getting 2.2" or don't write it at all.

N/A

Im assuming the Samsung Moment 2 will have 2.2?

Journeyman

Seems that the list of existing phones for the upgrade is the EVO only.

N/A

They could be reffering to new Android phones, like the new Samsung Moment 2 thats coming out soon, or other phones that may come in the future. I just wish my Moment could get the update :[

N/A

No, it will not. 2.2 will not be available for HTC Hero or Samsung Moment

That's the beauty of Android. In the event that Service Providers (Sprint) bar updates, we can just root the phone and get the updates from freelance Developers. At least, in this sense, we can actually talk with the developer and get real answers, instead of talking to 10 different Sprint reps who give you 5 different answers, leaving you with little promise as to whether or not your issue will ever get addressed. I would like to know, however, specifically why  the Hero & Moment will not get an update.

N/A

what are you talking about that the moment will not be getting 2.21 as other post have said sprint has 3 android phones. are you stopping support on the phones that most customers have? we have 2 year subcriptions atleast bring it to 2.2! we want clarification on this!

N/A

I also would like to know why the Moment and the Hero will not be getting the update. Google themselves have said Froyo runs 250% faster. that test was on existing hardware. Most likely the N1. We know the hardware requirements are not an issues, so what is the problem?

Journeyman

That's ridiculous, These phones have been out for less then a year and you're already dropping support for them. The Droid is getting 2.2 and it came out the same time as the Hero and the Moment. How is it that Verizon can support there older phones and Sprint can't?

Sprint Product Ambassador

Doesn't appear the Verizon HTC Eris (Hero clone) will be getting 2.2 either.  Nor will the G1 from T-Mobile.

Journeyman

Thanks for the update info. I have an HTC EVO and am fully please with it. Awesome machine! Sprint is doing a great job keeping up with demand. For the rest of you on this forum, be patient. HTC wants to make its UI, Sprint wants to add something else as well. I'm sure when they are all done it will be in the best interest of the customers. Thanks you for your service Sprint!

N/A

the g1 isnt in the same class as the hero or the moment. the g2 is tmo's hero and it is getting 2.2 i mean atleast support the phones for a year thats not to much to ask.

Journeyman

nowhere in your contract does it say they need to keep upgrading your phone. Its too much work when you get 2-3 new android phones in every year and have to upgrade all your previous models plus the new ones! The hero wont be out forever and they dont have to upgrade anything(especially if new android versions are coming out every 4 months), they choose to to keep their customers happy. Its just not good business. I develop and theme as a hobby and these phones are so fragile(mess one thing up and everything breaks) that the companies dont need to go through tha long process of upgrading every second!!!!

N/A

o and as far as the sprint apps why not just put them on the market for just sprint android phones... then it doesnt take months to get an update processed

Journeyman

You have seriously got to be joking. The only reason I did not upgrade to the Evo was the $10/mo "premium data" farce. So I went with the next best thing (imo), the Hero and now no Android update for it. I am really starting to get more disgusted with Sprint on a weekly basis, my respect level is dropping fast. I always touted Sprint and recommended others to change providers to Sprint...not anymore.

Journeyman

the mytouch is not a hero, they have a couple of simularities but are built off completly different frameworks.

If you were reffering to the euro(gsm) hero then ya they are close.

and also verizon doesnt support their phones any better than sprint, eris isnt getting 2.1, att butchers their android devices and tmo's devices arent sense ui based(like the droid) Its alot more difficult than you people think

Journeyman

you say that like everyone else is upgrading all their phones

Journeyman

Ohh and 1ghz proccesors are the benchmark for froyo and the future. The hardware of the hero is its greatest limitation

Journeyman

What a crock.  Thanks Cyanogen for supporting my phone better than Sprint does.

Journeyman

sprint if i am not going to get updates and support for my phone for atleast a year after i but it i should be able to get the phone replaced for a new one free.  I got the moment the day it came out and it is not even a year later you are just going to stop support that is bad business for a cell phone company. to be honest i can get past not getting 2.2 if they just fix the lock-up issues with the phone and in the future just don't put out a phone unless you are going to support it for a year and do not put out phones with a known issue like that and not fix it after to updates.

N/A

Yeah thats not going to happen. You get two years of support for what you bought, a phone running Android 1.5 (luckily Hero owners got 2.1) Youre phone works and does what is supposed to.

N/A

This is absolutely ridiculous.  Phones that are less than a year old will not get the update? I love Android devices, espcially HTC Android devices, but I refuse to drop $200+ a year on new phones, just because you guys don't want to free up the manpower to do the updates.  I have a Hero and absolutely love the phone.  Now I'm stuck with: Option A) Just be happy with FINALLY getting the 2.1 update; Option B) Pay full price to upgrade my phone ($500+); Option C) Wait until my latest contract is 1 year old (I'm a Sprint Premier customer, so I can upgrade after a year), which will be December (and of course, there will be 10 new phones out before then), and get the discounted upgrade to a new phone, which puts me back at paying $200 per year for new phones, or; Option D) Root my phone, risking a 2.2 version that is shaky at best, and potentially bricking my phone.  Gee, thanks Sprint for all the "options" you are offering!!!

Journeyman

They're still "supporting" all the hero's and moments, just not worth it to keep upgrading a last gen phone when its not powerful enough to utilize the features of 2.2

N/A

So u expect us to stay with 2.1 beacuse your guys are to lazy to develop a new update, When the modders can get 2.2 in less then a week thats what i call LAZY!!!

Journeyman

I don't understand why everyone is getting upset.  If you want the newest and greatest of anything, you have to buy newer and better models.  That's a choice you get to make.  Spend the money, and get the EVO that will get the upgrade, or stick with the older model.  There is a big difference between Sprint SUPPORTING the "older" devices and Sprint choosing to UPGRADE those devices to the newest and greatest operating system.  It's like an operating system on your PC... if there is a problem with it, you will get an update, but it doesn't mean you get the newest version for free when it is released.

N/A

I am seriously disappointed in sprint recently. The Hero is less than a year old and support for Froyo isn't gonna happen. With T Mobile rolling out HSPA+ and having 3G speeds comparable to sprints "4G" service, I will not be renewing my contract for the three lines i currently have. In addition as the "tech person" in my family, I will not be recommending to any friends or family to get Sprint. How can sprint roll out a "Google Phone" but not keep it updated. BOOOOOOO

N/A

The Eris obviously won't be recieving 2.2 because it's no longer being sold by Verizon. The G1 is still a mixed bag. It may receive 2.2 and it may not. If you want 2.2 on your Hero simply root the phone and install it once it's been completed by the folks at XDA. It's not going to be "shaky"( it'll be better and faster than what Sprint would have given you) and you're not going to brick your phone unless you are absolutely illiterate. I've never heard of anyone bricking their phone permanently unless they flash the wrong radio to their phone, which again is fairly hard to do if you have the ability to read. It's basically time for anyone still using a first gen device to make the leap to a 2nd gen Android device. The Hero dropped just when the transition was taking place and was already very outdated on launch day. Buying a 2nd gen device will get you Android support for the foreseeable future. The specs of those devices are capable enough to handle pretty much anything thrown at them. Some phones will just do it a bit better.

Journeyman

The hardware will not support 2.2.  Even if they did port it, it would be severely limited, and would probably make the phone slow...

N/A

Wow, Sprint, way to take care of your Hero and Moment customers (not).  Not only were you late in releasing 2.1 to the Hero and Moment, but you have yet to fix the CDMA and GPS lockups and Airplan Mode problems with the Samsung Moment (and you even deny that the problems exist).  And then, as if all of that wasn't bad enough, you decide to completely abandon the phones less than a year after they were released!  I'm actually ashamed to say that I'm a Sprint customer.  Absolutely disgusting.

Journeyman

Those saying that Sprint doesn't have an obligation to support phones for the duration of the contracts tied to those phones may want to look at the consumer protection laws of their states as well as federal and state laws concerning deception in advertising and business transactions.

I'm not a lawyer, but consider these things:

• Android 2.1 was released by Google in January. That means that for anyone purchasing the phone after that, 2.1 would have been the current Android version. 2.2 would be the first upgrade. The fact that Sprint delayed the upgrade of 2.1 for months seems immaterial to me. 2.2 is the first real Android upgrade since then. Therefore the phone had reached the end of its upgrade lifetime in January. I can't speak for anyone else, but I purchased my phone in February and was not told 2.1 would be the last upgrade. I was led into a new 2-year contract based on the false expectation that my phone would receive upgrades into the future.
  • Sprint's HTC Hero version of Android 2.1 is crippled. There is no support for Live Wallpapers, for instance. Purchasing an Android phone implies that it fully supports Android. Failure to disclose that the phone wouldn't fully support Android means withholding information that would undoubtedly impact a person's decision on whether to buy the phone or not.
  • Android 2.1 is very buggy. See: http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/82618-2-1-problems-issues-quirks.html. So Sprint has failed to even deliver functional phones, which would run foul of consumer protection laws in probably every single state.

Several people have suggested rooting the phone as a solution. The problem with this is that 1) it voids the warranty on the phone; and 2) Sprint/HTC has attempted (maybe succeeded?) in blocking this option with recent OTA updates. So Sprint is not only ceasing upgrade support for the phone but also actively working to make sure consumers can't do it themselves.

N/A

Before you guys start crying the blues. It isn't always Sprint that refuses the update. Many times it is HTC because they feel the hardware of the phone will not run it well. Get educated. Samsung Moment has been said for a while now it would get no further update. Get educated. www.AndroidCentral.Com www.AndroidPolice.Com www.Engadget.Com. The Hero for a while has been on the fence whether is would get any further updates. Maybe next time people will do research before buying phone.

JKFOWLER84

Evo Owner

Journeyman

My Hero running an early ALPHA of 2.2 is FASTER than 2.1

N/A

We have several issues going on here:

1) Carriers are not use to upgrading cell phones beyond bug fixes. Before "smart phones" you would buy a phone and that's it. You got what was on that phone. Period. Perhaps you got a few OTA upgrades but no real major feature upgrades.

2) Google has released a heck of a lot of updates in a short period of time.

3) Carriers and phone manufacturers don't make money from upgrades. They are in business to sell new phones.

4) Users are treating "super smart phones" like PC's and expect to be able to upgrade its software as long as the hardware isn't that old. Users also pay for these upgrades (especially major upgrades.)

Right now Android is the "perfect storm". It is evolving more rapidly than phone manufacturers and carriers can really deal with and users are expecting the "latest and greatest", for free, as long as the own their phones (or at least for the contract period.)

For now, phone buyers need to be happy with their purchase on they day they bought it. You should not buy a phone with any expectations it will be upgraded (like a toaster or a car) and if you want the latest and greatest software you need the latest and greatest phone.

I am a Hero owner myself (with 2.1.) When my year is up (premier customer) I will see what phones are out there and decide on what to get (if anything.)

N/A

If you buy a PC today and it doesn't support Crysis 5 in 5 years, you can't blame the PC manufacturer for the advances made in the hardware and software field. If you buy an HDTV and it only supports 720p and doesn't go up to 1080p, you can't say they don't fully support HD because what you have is still an HD device. The Hero can still be rooted even with all of the OTA updates and can be returned to a perfectly stock state if you ever need to utilize that warranty.

Journeyman

They are obligated to support the Hero... and have given no indication that they will stop.  2.1 just came out for the Hero and if bugs are found updates should be released.

They are not obligated to upgrade everyone to the newest version of Android everytime a new version comes out.

N/A

it's bs to say that the moment/hero's hardware 'won't support it'. the features (specifically JIT) in 2.2 will make the OS *faster* than 2.1, especially on older, slower processor devices. i knew sprint would do this, no surprise. that's why we have rooting/dev roms. just release the damn source already for the kernels (htc) and the world will be happy. never rely on your carrier for updates. this is why android is the best platform.

...and i'm an EVO owner, not a hero/moment owner, so i'm speaking for those who are being screwed out of an update that SHOULD happen. it's fine, sprint -- XDA will take care of your devoted customers. :-P