cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint offers smartphone users unlimited data with no throttling

Journeyman

Reports that Sprint throttles the top one percent of data users are false. Here are the facts:

• Sprint does not throttle any postpaid phone data users for on-network or off-network usage. Sprint is the only national carrier offering smartphone users truly unlimited data with no throttling, metering or overages while on the Sprint network.
  • Sprint does have terms and conditions which prohibit certain types of data use that may impair other customers' usage or harm or interfere with the network. At yesterday’s investor conference, Sprint CEO Dan Hesse was referring to Sprint’s right to terminate service of data abusers who violate Sprint’s terms and conditions. Customers who abuse our network by violating the terms and conditions will be contacted by Sprint in an effort to have the customer change their usage to comply with their subscriber agreement. Customers who do not change their usage and remain in violation of the terms and conditions may be subject to actions reserved by Sprint, including but not limited to termination. Consistent with our advertising, engaging in such uses will not result in throttling for customers on unlimited data-included plans for phones.
11 Comments
Journeyman

Been waiting for a statement on this, so many blogs reporting false information.

Wizard

At least the truth is out about this and that should take care of the false information about this.

Journeyman

There no bandwidth to throttle, the couldn't possibly make the network any slower.

Journeyman

amen brother amen

Journeyman

For those of you saying "falsehood", please note that it wasn't CEO Hesse that used the word throttle, it was the reporter's explanation as to what is known in the industry as "throttling".  As to CEO Hesse actual words, which were a direct quote, I don't see how any of you can claim that Mr. Hesse didn't say what he did - that Sprint can & does terminate "unlimited" access to data to 1% of their customers if Sprint deems the usage excessive. 

Also, as a Sprint customer with a USB Modem/Data Card who originally signed up for a 2 year contract that I though would have  "unlimited" data, I know first-hand that Sprint can & DOES limit supposed "unlimited" data since my plan was "capped" mid-contract, without my consent.  Certainly, my usage of my data card couldn't be termed as abusive since I barely used 3GB a month (if that)....it was just that Sprint decided to favor it's smartphone users over its USB/Data Card/Hot Spot customers..... 

Journeyman

Funny...just yesterday my husband called me to say he left his phone at home and could I check it for messages and missed calls. I went to our room and found it laying on the floor by our bed. When I picked it up, there was a message on the screen that said "you have been disconnected from data usage because of excessive roaming." I had to reboot his phone to get it to connect again. Even stranger -- we have an AIRAVE in the house! We also have wifi in the house and usually use that for our internet connection when at home because the signal here is so spotty.

Journeyman

I do not use a lot of data but when I do use it everything works fine. I have had times when my phone will not get an internet connection period.

Journeyman

Sprint reserves the right, without notice or limitation, to limit data throughput speeds or quantities or to deny, terminate, end, modify, disconnect, or suspend service if an individual engages in any of the prohibited voice or data uses detailed below or if Sprint, in its sole discretion, determines action is necessary to protect its wireless networks from harm or degradation.

sprint.com/termsandconditions

Journeyman

Except with Phone-as-Modem add-on, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer [ie laptop], PDA, or similar device.

sprint.com/termsandconditions

Journeyman

I have to tell you that I am very discouraged with Sprint right now.  My family made the switch to Sprint 2 years ago this May.  We chose to use the Samsung Moment as our phone of choice and these phones have lead us to nothing but trouble over the past year and a half.  We have had our phones replaced over 14 times for 3 different lines for average of 5 times per phone line.  When I signed up I was with the understanding that my line could upgrade after 12 months and the other 3 lines could after 24 months.  Sprint pulled the carpet out from under me right before my 12 months was up.  I feel that my contract was not honored.  I understand buisness but you have to have happy customers.  I have been watching phone prices and with phones priced at 5-7 hundred dollors who can afford to upgrade.  Tommorrow I will be 2 months from completion of my contract of 24 months and wow we get a $150 off of a 600 phone!  What does the Sprint customer retention staff feel about a customer that has paid bill on time for 22 months?  You tell me?  Our phones a outdated and freeze up or drop calls and text messages dont show up.  Customer retention has to be a priority even when trying to keep cost of service down.

Journeyman

Airwave should eliminate sprint data usage as it is going through personal internet