cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

World’s First 3G/4G Android Phone, HTC EVO 4G

Journeyman

HTC EVO™ 4G, exclusively from Sprint, is the world’s first 3G/4G Android handset, and delivers a multimedia experience at 4G speeds that is second to none, making it possible to download music, pictures, files, or videos in seconds – not minutes – and watch streaming video on the go.

Experience Android at 4G

HTC EVO 4G features the Android 2.1 platform, which can deliver a wide array of useful new features:

•    Android 2.1 with access to more than 30,000 apps on Android Market
•    Through Android Market™, get access to thousands of useful applications, widgets and games to download and install on their phone, with many more to come
•    GoogleTM mobile services including Google SearchTM, Google MapsTM, Google TalkTM, GmailTM, YouTubeTM , and syncs with Google CalendarTM
•    Google Goggles™ enables a new way to search with pictures instead of words, and works with everything from books, DVDs and barcodes to landmarks, logos and artwork3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability – connects up to eight Wi-Fi-enabled devices
•    World class HTML browser – bandwidth and quality that rivals that of netbooks
•    Text messaging and email composition feature built-in voice-to-text technology. Simply press a microphone button on the screen and messages can be composed by just speaking

A Device Unlike Any Other
•    Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ QSD8650 (1GHz) processor
•    4.3-inch pinch-to-zoom, one of the industry’s largest touch-screen displays
•    8.0 MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash and 1.3 MP front facing camera
•    Built-in kickstand for handsfree viewing
•    Updated HTC Sense, award winning user experience, which includes Friend Stream to integrate Facebook, Twitter and more into a single flow of updates
•    Visual voicemail
•    HD video capture and HDMI output
•    Live video sharing with Qik
•    FM Radio and Amazon MP3 Store
•    Media player with 3.5 mm stereo headset jack
•    Sprint applications including Sprint TV® and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile(SM)
•    Built-in WiFi®: 802.11 b/g
•    Bluetooth® 2.1 with A2DP Stereo and EDR
•    Digital Compass, G-Sensor, Proximity sensor, Light Sensor, GPS
•    Expandable Memory: 8GB microSD card included; supports up to 32GB

Where to find HTC EVO 4G
Customers will be able to purchase HTC EVO 4G through all Sprint channels and through national retail partners, RadioShack, Best Buy and Walmart, starting this summer. Pricing will be announced at a later date. Pre-registration begins today at www.sprint.com/evo.

Images

HTC-EVO-GL-t.jpgHTC-EVO-GR-t.jpgHTC-EVO-GB-t.jpgHTC-EVO-GH-stand-t.jpg

Video

The Sprint Network Advantage

HTC EVO 4G offers access to the Sprint 4G network where available, and the Sprint 3G Network everywhere else.

Best of Both Worlds
•    4G data speeds (WiMAX) – peak download speeds of more than 10 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1 Mbps; average download speeds of 3-6 Mbps.
•    3G data speeds (EVDO Rev A.) – peak download speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1.8 Mbps; average download speeds of 600 kbps-1.4 Mbps.

Blazing trails with Sprint 4G
Sprint 4G offers a faster wireless experience than any other U.S. national wireless carrier, and Sprint is the only national carrier offering wireless 4G service.  Sprint 4G delivers download speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G1.

As the first national wireless carrier to test, launch and market 4G technology, Sprint made history by launching 4G in Baltimore in September 2008.  Today, Sprint 4G covers more than 30 million people in 27 markets and expects to have up to 120 million people covered by the end of 2010.

Sprint currently offers 4G service in 27 markets, including, but not limited to, Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, Portland, Ore., San Antonio and Seattle. Following is a comprehensive list of markets by state where Sprint 4G is currently offered: Georgia – Atlanta, Milledgeville; Hawaii – Honolulu, Maui; Idaho – Boise; Illinois – Chicago; Maryland – Baltimore; Nevada – Las Vegas; North Carolina – Charlotte, Greensboro, (along with High Point and Winston-Salem), Raleigh (along with Cary, Chapel Hill and Durham); Oregon – Portland, Salem; Pennsylvania – Philadelphia; Texas – Abilene, Amarillo, Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, San Antonio, Waco, Wichita Falls; Washington – Bellingham, Seattle. For more information, visit www.sprint.com/4G.

In 2010, Sprint expects to launch service in multiple markets, including but not limited to, Boston, Denver, Houston, Kansas City, Minneapolis, New York City, San Francisco and Washington, D.C.  Sprint is harnessing the power of 4G as the majority shareholder of Clearwire, the independent company that is building the WiMAX network. Sprint is the only national wireless carrier to offer 4G services on the Clearwire WiMAX network.

Related Information

For more news and information on HTC EVO 4G follow @sprint or @sprintnews on Twitter

HTC EVO 4G Fact Sheet

1 “Up to 10x faster” based on download speed comparison of 3G’s 600 kbps vs. 4G’s 6 Mbps. Industry published 3G avg. speeds (600 kbps-1.7 Mbps); 4G avg. speeds (3-6 Mbps). Actual speeds may vary. Sprint 4G currently available in over 25 markets and counting, and on select devices.  See www.sprint.com/4G for details. Not all services available on 4G and coverage may default to 3G/separate network where 4G unavailable.

Note: Device features, specifications, services and applications are subject to change.

44 Comments
N/A

I just talked to sprint chat rep and she didn't know anything about such a phone.  The 2 she stated that was anounced at the CITA conference was a google phone and a motorola.  Do you have more information on when this is to come out?

Journeyman

It is this summer...that is all that was posted above.

N/A

I waited for a long time for this phone but this summer is to far out for me i have to go to another carrier

N/A

Yes they should have released it this week, Would have gained alot of customers.

Journeyman

I think I just found my Premier Perk that I want to pick.

N/A

I have been waiting patiently to see what Sprint might offer in the way of the next HTC Android touchscreen phones, and was psyched when I heard that the Nexus One was coming. But one sore spot is that my Motorola Q offers tethering for a really affordable price. I just didn't want to have to buy the new phone I wanted in addition to an Overdrive so I could have the same functionality. This phone not only solves that problem, but also has specs that seem out of this world by today's standards! 8 MP phone?? TWO of them?? HDMI out?? Awesome. Not thrilled I have to wait even longer, but I'm guessing this one will be worth the wait. Do have to wonder what the battery life will be like, however...

N/A

This is fantastic...the EVO looks amazing and I may hold out until "summer" to upgrade (depending on how late in the summer and how many $$$ it's going to cost).  BUT what does this mean for the HTC Legend (aka the Hero2)? Will it be coming to Sprint still, maybe as something between the Hero and the Evo? Or is the Legend now out of the picture?

Journeyman

I know they won't tell us exact pricing on plans yet. But I got to know. Will a plan with this phone be more expensive?? I have a 1500 min everything family plan. Will I have to pay more for my plan to have this phone? The official Yes or No that is all I want to know. But if it is yes I am out. I can not afford higher monthly bills. I want the screen size but I guess then I would have to get the google N1. But dang this Evo phone looks HOT!

N/A

Yes i would really like to no what the price is and the release date cuz im getting sick of waiting for new phonnes  from sprint

Journeyman

Me too man I am on a Samsung Instinct I got the first few days it came out. Yea the first one. Sprint so owes me a better phone fast. LOL

Journeyman

all I wanted was the phone to be announced.  they gave me that with a summer 2010 timeframe.  I'm cool with that. It'll give me time to convince the wife that I NEED to upgrade

N/A

Sprint I am an instinct owner( boo)  this phone looks great.. Please can you release it sooner than June 1 as I have seen leaked? Also can you plz not raise the prices in the plan for this phone.. If you do then raise it for the new subscribers and give us premier customers a break..

Journeyman

Well done Sprint. Now just need the release date for the Nexus One.

N/A

The Legend was HTC's code name for the "Hero 2".  They are exactly the same phone. More info here http://bit.ly/aRJzVC

Journeyman

There are Android apps that allow you to tether.  Look in the Android marketplace.

Journeyman

Why would you consider a Nexus One instead of this phone?

Journeyman

@Jason No other carrier is going to have a phone anywhere close to this phone in specs this year.  The closest will be the Samsung Galaxy S and the Desire, also by HTC.  And even if those phones are available in the US, they will not be available on Sprint's 4G network.

I would hate to cross my name off of my auto dealer's waiting list a few weeks before my custom ordered luxury sports car arrived!

N/A

Thanks dalex...yeah I had read about that before knowing of the Supersonic (now dubbed Evo), and I had read that the Hero 2 (aka Legend) was likely coming to Sprint.  So now I'm wondering if the Hero 2 will make an appearance before or at the same time as the Evo...or if it will at all!  But I suspect we'll not be hearing much about that as the flood of Evo info comes in...

Journeyman

My Premier upgrade comes up just at summer's end, so I'm stoked to hear of this EVO 4G announcement.  Couple that with 4G coming to KC this year and this is definitely the phone I want.  Just hope it isn't at a skyrocket price.  Nicely done Sprint and HTC.  This looks to be the phone to have in 2010.

N/A

announcement is a good start.. but, need more info ofcourse.  Even after this announcement, I am still tempted to go to another carrier.. as it will most probably have a huge $$$ tag and will require an expensive plan.

The Simply Everything plan is useless, other than the unlimited data.  The TV listing is pathetic.

Journeyman

I got the hero and have an issue with using the internet while talking on the phone.  Is that a problem that has been figured out with the Evo?

Journeyman

@cain.marko.773 Reportedly Sprint is testing using the 4G/3G connection for data, while simultaneously using the 2G radio for voice with this phone.  

Journeyman

@RoSahas, although Sprint has not yet announced pricing for this device, I'm sure it will be competitive with prices of "comparable" models of phones, like the N1, HD2 or similar premier phones.  Of course none of those will include all of the features of this phone, but Sprint will definitely want to grow their 4G customer base as soon as possible.

What none of those phones will have is the 4G Now network behind them.  Pricing was not a significant issue when Sprint went from 2G to 3G.  Since Sprint has the best pricing for combo voice+data plans now, don't expect a big jump from 3G to 4G.

Journeyman

@dalex7777

Mmm I don't know about prices "being competitive". Remember their main goals is to make their pockets fat not save money on your or our pockets. Right now they are trying to figure out a way of how they can make this "Evo" phone more efficiently profitable & more of again for them than for us.. :-/

Right now they planted a seed of "excitement" next will be the seed of "we give you such a great plan price"... for all the fun boys that go running to store to get the phone with out thinking much about prices & contracts. Than later on we'll all read about their Evo complains & service plans after when the next "scheme" sorry phone comes out.. That's why i say: It's good to "be trendy", but no too much or don't became too absorbed by it.

Journeyman

Dan Hesse spoke at the CTIA International Wireless conference and said that pricing plans would over time move from being measured in time to being measured in data-usage. If this phone launches with a plan even similar to Sprint's current 4G plans with data usage, it will be a steal.

N/A

This is so wonderful that we a seeing Android spread to all the networks. And what a introduction this is. 4G WiMax with The Snap Dragon is going to blow all the other phones out of the water.

As far as pricing CTIA was buzzing about the networks needing to fatten the pipes and they don't really know what kind of strain these phones will put on the infrastructure. More than just techies are going to love the EVO 4G Phone. Gamers will be able to use it as a hot spot. Its just so amazing its hard to put into words how much this phone will push the wireless industry forward. Seems like yesterday we where watching Star Trek where communicators where Scifi.

So Happy!

N/A

This phone looks pretty amazing but I am sure the price will be way out of my league.  Maybe Sprint will let me use all four of my upgrades to let me purchase. :-)

N/A

I  just talked to a chat rep as well she didn't know shit

N/A

where did you see the info for this phone being release june1

Journeyman

this phone was just announched so it is no wonder many reps dont know about it. as to the release data? they havnt annouched a data yet. it looks to be a sweet phone. if i do ever decide to get a phone. it would be this one. the wireless feature is a great thing for it!

N/A

The law of supply and demand will always apply.  Even I will take full advantage of it.  At first, the supply will be short and demand will be high so the little bugger will more than likely cost bunches.  However, this phone will spread and prices will drop just as the Moments and the Hero's did and all will be good.  Fortunately for me, my premier status will not start until the NEXT generation of G4 arises and I will buy that one as it will be better and no longer the ONLY 4G device.

N/A

I know they price will come down eventually, but it takes so long.  It could be years before I can afford it. :-) I am letting my contracts run out on my family plan and may still jump to Verizon.  They have a couple of phones I like and my work now provides a discount to Verizon as well as Sprint so at least I have some options.  Maybe the touch pro 2 will drop in price after the Evo release and I can get that phone instead.

Journeyman

Will this phone have voice dialing?  I have a pre and after being out a year it still does not have it.  Now I hear the T-Moble HD2 does not have voide dialing.  How could such an advance phone and one that will do very will not this feature?

Has any one heard or know?

Journeyman

Uhhh I hade this phone too! I couldn't stand it! I feel your pain.

N/A

The TV choices might suck but try getting another plan with unlimited everything for the price you pay at sprint. Trust me I left the Evil Verizo for Sprint. They charge you for every little thing they can (ex navagation)! Sprint is the best

N/A

Chris, so very true! I recently switched from AT&T and saved $40 per month including Any mobile Anytime!

Journeyman

I want this phone! but i want it for a respectable price and i want it faster then the summer, wow that sounds demanding, but sprint is awesome so i'm sure they will deliver! it would be dumb to keep this phone under lock and key for too long.

Journeyman

Lets hope soon and not expensive. Sprint could do really well if both happen. Plus my Instinct is not doing so well and will be 2 yrs old in June.

Journeyman

@zjb2000 Sprint is still testing some very fundamental features such as using 4G data while on a voice connection (1xCDMA).  I'm looking forward to getting this phone as soon as it comes out, but I'm willing to wait until it is "fully baked" first.

N/A

well looks like june 6th or 13th so maybe my dream will come true, either one of those dates is before summer

Journeyman

@Vicky. This phone was announced at CTIA. Nobody knew about it before then. Well.... not officially anyway. Nobody knows when it's coming out but Sprint will most likely announce release dates and price at their NY convention on May 12th. Look for release date after that day.

Journeyman

s there a sprint premier contest where I could be one of the Lucky winners?

Journeyman

Sprint usually has a great new phone come out in Mid May to early June, just about every year.  I just cannot wait until the Evo is out.  I just saw a friends HTC Incredible (basically same phone) for Verizon and it looks awesome.  I'm actually tempted to switch to Verizon now but I can deal with their pricing.  Sprint needs to launch this puppy SOON and not be so crazy on the pricing for it.  Also I think that they need to be ready with an exceptional amount of phones to sell since alot of people are eagerly awaiting this phone. 

N/A

When is it going to come out!  I have been waiting for this phone and debating leaving Sprint for Verizon cause I want an Android phone and the Hero is just not enough!  SPRINT hurry up and release this phone!