cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Sprint Phone Connect support faxing (incoming and/or outgoing)?

Journeyman

I am very interested in getting a home line from Sprint, the idea of having one less company to pay every month seems very appealing, but can it really replace a landline? Can I send and receive faxes with this new line?

21 REPLIES 21
Master

We are also excited about this new product for Sprint.  At this time, we do not have documentation that the Sprint Phone Connect will support faxing.  I'm sure as this product launches that we will have more information. 

I ordered one Friday, will hopefully be here next week sometime and I will take a peek at the documentation that comes with it and see what it says. If it does not say, I will send a test fax through it and see what happens.

Master

Re: Does Sprint Phone Connect support faxing (incoming and/or outgoing)?

That would be great.  Let us know what happens.  We do have access to the user guide and there is no mention of hooking up a fax machine.  At least, not at this time. 

Tom

I saw this footnote on the order page:

* The Sprint Phone Connect is not compatible with certain Home Security  systems, IP-based or PBX office phone systems, fax machines, credit card  machines, dial-up or DSL internet service, DVR or satellite tv  services, medical alert services or collect calls.

From reading that statement I am guessing it will fax, but they do not guarantee it will work with every fax machine, and I don;t see a compatibility list, probably to new. I will still try it, see if it works, have a 50/50 shot at it. I have feeling it ptobably comes down to how good the signal is, fax machines are not forgiving if you loose packets during the transmission or reception, most don't error check during the send/receive.

Master

This is great info, Thank you.  And that's kind of where a colleague and I were going with what would make it work or fail.  So we pulled up the frequency output for Sprint phones and fax machines, and fax machines use frequencies well above the 8 or 9 KHz that Sprint phones top out at.  But definitely let us know how that goes.

Tom

Received my device today and I am unable to send or receive a fax using an HP Photosmart all-in-one, or a Brother Office Laser Fax machine. It will dial, connect, but can't negotiate the handshake between the 2 fax machines, same for incoming, they will answer, connect, but can't negotiate the handshake to get the fax machines to talk to each other. I am not sure if there is a brand that will work, I know the 2 that won't. The fax machine I was dialing into, or sending a fax out of to the 2 fax machines listed above is an Enterprise RightFax, which is what most large business' use.

Wizard

AwaitingModeration,

I just wanted to add that I researched this and the Sprint Phone Connect doesn't support faxing in any way, as it runs off of the 1xRTT. It is a limitation to the current technology. We may see this feature added to the service down the road however I do believe it would require different hardware.

Regards,

William

SprintCares

Sprint Product Ambassador

Specifically, "The existing voice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codeccodecs are not designed for fax transmission; they are designed to digitize an  analog representation of a human voice efficiently. However, the  inefficiency of digitizing an analog representation (modem signal) of a  digital representation (a document image) of analog data (an original  document) more than negates any bandwidth advantage of VoIP. In other  words, the fax "sounds" simply do not fit in the VoIP channel." -- same problem with 1xRTT compression for PCS phones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_Internet_Protocol#Fax_handling

Product Ambassador, long time Sprint employee
Journeyman

DOES NOT WORK WITH ANY OF THE 3 FAX MACHINES IN MY HOME OFFICE, THIS IS TOUTED AS A WORK / HOME LINE REPLACEMENT BUT YET HAS NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS? CANCELING THIS PIECE OF CRAP PHONE CONNECT ASAP ABSOLUTELY USELESS.

JRB65 wrote:

DOES NOT WORK WITH ANY OF THE 3 FAX MACHINES IN MY HOME OFFICE, THIS IS TOUTED AS A WORK / HOME LINE REPLACEMENT BUT YET HAS NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS? CANCELING THIS PIECE OF **** PHONE CONNECT ASAP ABSOLUTELY USELESS.

What problems are you are having?

Journeyman

See some of the other topics in this forum. Very disappointed in this product. And since the phone number was ported it can not go back. So now I am stuck with it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat