cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Phone Connect = useless pile of junk

Highlighted
Journeyman

I saw the ad for the Sprint Phone Connect on Sprint.com and thought that it'd be a good replacement for my T-Mobile@Home service since my adapter failed and T-Mobile no longer sells replacements (T-Mobile@Home has been discontinued). I never would've made the switch if I realized that doing so would result in the worst Sprint customer experience I have ever had to deal with. Short story: My Sprint Phone Connect won't provision, preventing me from making or receiving calls. I'm now on my 3rd non-working device, nobody knows what's wrong, and nobody can do anything about it. Long story: see the timeline below. I have 2 other Sprint lines (one opened in 2006, and another opened in 2008), and at this point, I'm seriously considering moving everything to a different (i.e. less frustrating) carrier.........

9/9/11

~8pm -Purchased Sprint Phone Connect from my nearest Corporate Sprint Store/Repair Center (#162) [Existing customer, but device was placed on a new account as I have reached my device limit for my current account]

~9:30pm -Made it back home. Connected everything, dial tone present, tried a test call which resulted in this message: "To make a collect call to a mobile phone or a landline phone, press 1. To use or purchase a prepaid PIN with your credit card, dial 2 now.........." [Referred to as "NonAct Msg from now on"]

~9:30pm-10pm -Powercycled device (including battery removal/replacement) several times. Also performed an activation reset using **34000000#, default reset using **350000# and a PRL update using **360000#. Result = NonAct Msg

~10pm-10:30pm -Called Sprint Tech Support, who had me repeat the same troubleshooting steps. Result = NonAct Msg. TSR then tried to force the device to provision from his end. Result = NonAct Msg. TSR xfer to Supervisor.

~10:50pm-11:00pm -Supervisor advised me that he has no troubleshooting options available for this device.  He also advised me that I should be getting an email from him soon with a resolution.

9/10/11

~12pm -No email received. Performed troubleshooting steps listed above. Result = NonAct Msg.

~12:30pm-12:40pm -Called Sprint Tech Support, who had me repeat the same troubleshooting steps (again). Result = NonAct Msg. TSR then tried to force the device to provision from his end. Result = NonAct Msg. TSR xfer to Supervisor.

~12:45pm-12:50pm -Supervisor advised me that she has no troubleshooting options available for this device. She also advised me to exchange the device.

~6pm, 9pm, 12am -Performed troubleshooting steps listed above (again). Result = NonAct Msg.

9/11/11

~12pm -Arrived at repair center. Repair tech advised me that he has no troubleshooting options available for this device. Exchanged device instead.

~2pm -Made it back home. Connected everything, dial tone present, tried a test call. Result = NonAct Msg.  Performed troubleshooting steps listed above (again). Result = NonAct Msg.

~2:30pm-2:50pm -Called Sprint Tech Support, who had me repeat the same troubleshooting steps (again). Result = NonAct Msg. TSR then tried to force the device to provision from his end. Result = NonAct Msg. TSR xfer to Supervisor.

~2:55pm-3:00pm -Supervisor advised me that he has no troubleshooting options available for this device. He also advised me that he would contact the store and inform them of my issue, and then advised me to return to the repair center so they could troubleshoot the device.

~5pm, 7pm, 9pm, 11pm -Performed troubleshooting steps listed above (again). Result = NonAct Msg.

9/12/2011

~2pm -Arrived at repair center. Store Manager & Tech Lead advised me that they had performed some actions on my account, and that the device should work once I plug it in at home.

~4pm -Made it back home. Connected everything, dial tone present, tried a test call. Result = NonAct Msg. Performed troubleshooting steps listed above (again). Result = NonAct Msg.

~4:30pm-4:50pm -Called Sprint Tech Support, who had me repeat the same troubleshooting steps (again). Result = NonAct Msg. TSR then tried to force the device to provision from his end. Result = NonAct Msg. TSR xfer to Supervisor.

~4:55pm-5:00pm -Supervisor advised me that he has no troubleshooting options available for this device. He also advised me that I would need to either convert the Phone Connect line to a regular cellphone, or return the device.

~8pm, 10pm, 12am -Performed troubleshooting steps listed above (again). Result = NonAct Msg.

9/13/11

~2pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm, 10pm, 12am -Performed troubleshooting steps listed above (again). Result = NonAct Msg.

9/14/11

~12pm, 2pm, 4pm -Performed troubleshooting steps listed above (again). Result = NonAct Msg.

~8:30pm -Ported Sprint Phone Connect number to AT&T prepaid (temporary measure until I can get a working device).

9/15/11

~3:30pm -Returned Sprint Phone Connect.

~4pm -Created new account in my name and purchased a new Sprint Phone Connect from a nearby RadioShack.

~4:30pm -Set up the Sprint Phone Connect and connected a landline phone while still in the store. Result = NonAct Msg.

~4:30pm-5pm -Performed troubleshooting steps listed above (again). Result = NonAct Msg.

~5pm -Contacted Sprint Indirect Account Representative, who advised me to perform the troubleshooting steps listed above (again). Result = NonAct Msg.

~8pm -Made it back home. Connected everything, dial tone present, tried a test call. Result = NonAct Msg. Performed troubleshooting steps listed above (again). Result = NonAct Msg.

~10pm-10:05pm -Called Sprint Tech Support and demanded a supervisor at the start of the call. TSR xfer to Supervisor.

~10:10pm-10:15pm -Supervisor advised me that he has no troubleshooting options available for this device. He also advised me that I would need to return or exchange the device. When I explained that I was on my 3rd device (2 being from an entirely different store), he just reiterated the fact that he has no troubleshooting options available for this device, and there is nothing he can do.

~11:00pm -Performed troubleshooting steps listed above (again). Result = NonAct Msg.

9/16/11-????????

On Sprint Phone Connect #3, and it's STILL not working.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Sprint Phone Connect = useless pile of junk

I had the opposite experience. Received mine via UPS truck, plugged it in, waited 5 minutes for any updates, rebooted it, and it has worked like a champ. I have even taken it on a few trips out of state, and as long as there is Sprint Service available it worked, and has worked like a champ. I am wondering if there is not a problem on the account side of things?

The other thing is, it does not mention this in the setup, but this is how I provisioned mine.

1. Plugged in battery

2. Connected to wall outlet.

3. Waited 5 minutes after it said it was connected

4. Unplugged from wall outlet.

5. Unplugged battery - It does not tell you to do this, but the manual says to power it off and on, so I did the battery pull also.

6. Plugged in battery

7. Plugged into wall outlet

8. Grabbed a spare phone in the house

9. Made a call.

That is how I set mine up.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint Phone Connect = useless pile of junk

I'm having the same issue.  I was in a store today, and supposedly they just released new information on the issue.  It's not the device itself apparently, and is affecting users whose MSID differs from their phone number.  I still haven't had luck with mine, but maybe the new information will help you.

The programming is a little different, and includes both your current phone number and the MSID related to your phone number.  Unfortunately it will probably require another phone call to customer service or a trip to the store.

Good Luck!

Highlighted

JASMINMARIE15 wrote:

I'm having the same issue.  I was in a store today, and supposedly they just released new information on the issue.  It's not the device itself apparently, and is affecting users whose MSID differs from their phone number.  I still haven't had luck with mine, but maybe the new information will help you.

The programming is a little different, and includes both your current phone number and the MSID related to your phone number.  Unfortunately it will probably require another phone call to customer service or a trip to the store.

Good Luck!

I would bet that is the issue. My guess is the device works, but when the device connects Sprint isn't recognizing it as being active.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Would it haveanything to do with whether it was purchased online at sprint.com or purchased in local store?

I want to get one but don't want the same problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thx for the info. I'll give CS another call in the morning and see what happens.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can you fax? do yo have the beeping after some one hangs up?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tell them it has to be set up like a Sanyo Katana and it will work fine problem is reps are trying to set up like airave

Highlighted
Journeyman

On 9/16, I let my Sprint IAE know that the device still wasn't working. She was able to get my issue escalated through the proper channels, and on 9/22, she let me know that I had identified a network issue that Sprint hadn't been aware of previously. She advised me that it had since been resolved, and after another master reset, everything worked perfectly. I was also credited $20 (i.e. 1 month of service) since the device didn't work for most of the month. No more buying stuff from Sprint corporate for me - it's quite obvious to me at this point that the Indirect channels have far more competent staff who actually know how to get the job done.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat