cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage Inconsistency with Coverage Map

Journeyman

Coverage Inconsistency with Coverage Map

I just switched to an LG G2 and live in the Kansas city area. I was excited to see that Sprint Spark was being implemented in my area after such a short time. However, I have triple checked the map stating that it is up and running in my area. As a matter of fact, according to the map, its in the qualified "Best" area of the map.

I noticed right away that my speeds hadnt changed even though implemented.

I contacted 4 representatives. The first two didn't bother enough to ask what area I was experiencing the issue, and submitted two tickets to the wrong towers.

The third representative got the area correct, and even committed to helping me by assigning two agents to my ticket to help resolve the slow data issue on Sprint Spark.

After being promised to get a return phone call at a specific time, and waiting 2 hours after the non existent call back. I called customer service again. This time actually receiving information about why my phone isn't receiving the data speeds it should.

According to network engineers, sprint spark won't be available in this specific area until April or June. Which is quite a few months away from being released.

So ultimately my question is, why is your coverage map being updated months prior to the implementation of your new network? Why isn't the coverage map fixed to show it as a future upgrade? This is a clear misrepresentation of your network.

4 REPLIES 4
Master

Re: Coverage Inconsistency with Coverage Map

Mikesterr

We apologize for the confusion related to the Sprint Spark mapping. The areas represented on the maps are for areas that have already begun implementation of Sprint Spark. The rollout is not completed as yet. I believe the time that you were told was the time of completion. As the work progresses in the area you should start seeing a change in service quality. We ask that you continue to bear with us as we complete this project.

Omar

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Okay, I understand that its currently being upgraded. However implementing the upgrade, and implementing the service are two different things. One gives me the service, one promises me the service at a later date. I appreciate the attempt to tell me information that I clearly already stated in my issue. However you didn't answer a single question that I asked. Next time, tell me that you can't answer my questions.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Confusion? The coverage tool has this to say about its maps:

Our coverage maps are high-level estimates when using your device outdoors under optimal conditions. Estimating wireless coverage and signal strength is not an exact science. There are gaps in coverage within our estimated coverage areas that, along with other factors both within and beyond our control (network problems, software, signal strength, your wireless device, structures, buildings, weather, geography, topography, etc.), will result in dropped and blocked connections, slower data speeds, or otherwise impact the quality of services. In addition, off-network 3G data roaming is not included in As You Go plans.

There is no indication that what the map says also includes possible future coverage. It almost explicitly says that, at the very least, you will sometimes get the advertised speeds in the select areas. Why declare that Spark is rolled out when the bulk of the rolling out still needs to be accomplished? If I were a customer considering to sign up for Sprint and saw that map it would be reasonable for me to believe that I can get Spark and Spark Turbo in several areas of the Kansas City Metro, which obviously is not the case and won't be for quite some time. Sprint is either lying or the map is outrageously incorrect.

Master

Mikesterr,

I understand your concern. Please realize that the map is showing projected upgrades like an estimate. Keep in mind this is subject to change based on the progress of the upgrades.

Jen R

Sprint Social Care Team 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.