Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Spark Causes Note 4 to Random Reboot

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint Spark Causes Note 4 to Random Reboot

Open letter to Sprint,

Situation: I recently upgraded to the Note 4 from my Note 3 and due to the NEW the phone rebooting anywhere from 5-20x per day (depending upon how many tower areas I pass through)  am still having to carry TWO phones just to have a working signal whenever I need it. Here is a list of the following troubleshooting and results that have been performed over the past month:

1. Phone Wiped to factory standards via recovery boot menu. No effect

2.  Battery pulled and Cache partition wiped each morning due to phone not waking up from overnight sleep state. (3-5x a week minimun, last 2 weeks daily). No effect

3. All widgets removed, all automatic sync turned off. No effect

4. Each of the 4 lock screen types tried on and off (fingerprint, pin, pattern, none). No effect

5. Screen stay on selected while plugged in from Developer options. No effect

6. Touchwiz Home Replaced by NovaLauncher and tested. Slight Improvement over past day with this.Still reboots randomly.

All of the above testing has been done with Sprint connections optimizer on (increased random reboots when on) and with the connections optimizer off. I do pass through multiple cell towers during my commute and have switched my phone to 3G only for my commute which appears to help, but did not SOLVE the problem. If I leave my phone in LTE it is useless for my commute. (rebooted 5x this morning alone)

If I place my phone in airplaine mode it does not reboot overnight, but then is useless for me as I work on call a lot. Nightly reboot times when NOT in Airplaine mode range from 0100 to 0400 and appear to be about 3 hours after I put the phone away for the night. (Data tracked from Lookout Mobile security emails from phone turning off).

So... my question is, how can this be fixed to where I have a phone that works?

The one common factor in all of the testing with the phone when it reboots is the network. Not one of my colleagues (none on Sprint)  who have the Note 4 (Sample Size of 12 individuals) is having issues with their phone rebooting. I have been a customer for almost a decade now and have never really wanted to leave until now, but I have had a top of the line phone for over a MONTH now that is useless to me. My loyalty to Sprint as a customer  (phone just restarted as i am typing this now.) is still there but this is affecting many other aspects of my life now that is not acceptable if not fixed. Please do not refer me to my local store, I have gone into 3 in my home area and 1 around my work and the employees in the stores know less about my phone and your network than I do, I don't have the time nor patience for that.  Especially when a simple code drop could more than likely fix the issue.

Thank you for taking time to read this, any assistance is in fixing this matter is greatly appreciated. I truly hope you have someone that can fix this issue.

- A Loyal Customer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
17 REPLIES 17
Master

Re: Sprint Spark Causes Note 4 to Random Reboot

No1Home5 - Thank you for reaching out to us. From what you're explaining, the issue with your phone constantly restarting is caused by a software related issue. We strongly recommend bringing your device into one of our service and repair centers to have some diagnostics test ran. Here is the link to find your nearest repair center. http://bit.ly/1dDKYKx - Krista
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Krista,

First, Thank you for the reply. Let me state what happened when I went into your sprint stores, both of which were corporate stores with repair centers.

Store 1. 1 week after receiving the phone. Employee asked me how I like the phone and what my thoughts were about it. He said he had not had any experience with them yet... (not a confidence booster.) I explained my problem, with a shorter list at the time and your team member said they would have to hard reset the phone and ensure the update was applied correctly. I grudgingly left my phone for an hour to have something done I could do myself.... Got the phone back, problem began again within a few hours.

Store 2. 2 1/2 weeks after receiving phone. Very similar discussion as above, except this employee was a little more tech saavy and had played with the Note 4 by now so appeared to know more about the phone. Same situation, left the phone for an hour, came back was told it was reset, the updates reapplied and i should have no more issues... Problem started again within 48 hours.

As you can see from the examples above I have attempted to fix this issue in your stores and now I do not have much faith in your frontline tech support. I am open to other ideas or fixes a more advanced tech support department may have. Thank you. 

Journeyman

BTW,

Since the posting of the original question: my phone has rebooted 3 times in the middle of calls, and 1 time while i was looking at it in my hand. Each time, the only common factor was the phone was switching from WiFi to LTE...

Master

No1Home5,

Please use the following link so we can take a further look into this matter for you and all available options. http://bit.ly/1qQty1X

Crystal
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Crystal,

Thank you for the reply, is there anyone specific I should address it to..?

The link does not appear to be imbedded in the post and when I copy and paste to my browser no specific address is populated for me to send the information you requested. Nor do i see any specific emails for any of the reps. Thank you.

P.S. for the record, i did attempt to send to a message to "Crystal"; "Crystal Sprint Care" and "ANYONE" which all came up invalid...

Master

No1Home5,

It's for private messaging. You don't need to address it specifically. Just click on our avatar, then select message. Make sure to include your account number and/or phone number as well as your pin or security answer.

Crystal
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Update as of 11/24:

On private messaging I was told by multiple reps that i needed to go into a store to have diagnostics run on my phone and was pointed to a third store to go into. I WILL be going into the store today in order to follow Sprint's guidlines but I would like an answer to the following question in the mean time please:

Why is it that my Galaxy Note 3 does not have the same issues my Galaxy Note 4 is having? Each phone is running the same set up program and OS wise, but my Note 4 is the only one that reboots and almost always when the network switches either on from a sleep state or switches from wifi to Sprint Spark. The only difference between the phones is that my Note 3 is LTE only, and my Note 4 is Sprint Spark.

Also, I know it is not isolated to my phone alone, as I have been asked by my coworkers who have picked up the Note 4 on Sprint within the last week what i have done to stop my phone from rebooting.

Thank you.

Master

No1Home5,

That is a very good question. It could be an internal impairment or interference. It's difficult to tell until a diagnosis is done. Keep us posted on the results after visiting the store.

Richard
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Follow up of store visit and additional findings:

Visited the specific store suggested above, was helped by a knowledgeable and very helpful employee, who took ownership of the issue and did a very thorough diagnostic as well as side by side comparison with his Note 4. The problem is still not solved. He did offer to replace by phone after telling me he could find nothing defective, but i at this point prefer to have a known issue with a out of the box phone that is not refurbished.

The reboots are still happening unfortunately. I tested this morning side by side with my Note 3 on my commute:

Note 3 reboots: Zero (0)

Note 4 Reboots: Three (3)

Each reboot always appears to happen right as my phone is switching towers...

XStreet 1: Willow Pass Road/State route 4 94561

XStreet 2: Concord Avenue / Highway 680 94520

XStreet 3:  Rutger Road / Highway 680 94595 

Another Reboot sitting next to me just now...as I switched off WiFi and tried to catch LTE signal. (My work is close to one of your Regional Headquarters so have excellent Spark signal at my work, btw)  The phone froze as it was attempting to switch to Spark and then rebooted after about a 5 second delay.

I have re-provisioned my phone using ##72786# and when i did i noticed the " OTA activation" was a lot smoother than my original activation. I did the re-provisioning next to your headquarters to ensure the best "unbroken connection" at the fastest speeds. Yes, Sprint Spark is lighting fast when it works even with one bar, but if you have a connection that is weak (one bar) and a single byte of coding is corrupted it can cause issues...

I will keep testing this and hope that Sprints programmers figure out the issue with the Spark programming. I am not trying to be combative, a jerk or negative at all, I just want this issue, which isn't just me from what I read on many forums inside and outside of the Sprint Community, to be fixed. Hopefully something found in testing will help. I've been a loyal defender of Sprint through the good and bad for a decade now, all that I am asking is for Sprint to stand up and do the same for its customers when there is an issue: aknowledge and fix the problem of pushing out coding before it is fully ready. Especially when dealing with Flagship devices. I am in Systems Technology so understand the challenges in resolving problems across a wide network, but in this instance it does not seem that there is any urgency to resolving the problem that all the evidence is pointing to: Sprint Spark has great potential, but has some very serious issues still.

After a testing for a few days i will report back findings to verify if the re-provisioning worked, so far its only rebooted once since...

Master

No1Home5

Glad to hear that there is some improvement at least. I'll pass this on to our network team on your behalf. Keep us posted.

- Patrick N.
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Any luck on answering this question? :

Why is it that my Galaxy Note 3 does not have the same issues my Galaxy Note 4 is having?

Each phone is running the same set up program and OS wise, but my Note 4 is the only one that reboots and almost always when the network switches either on from a sleep state or switches from wifi to Sprint Spark. The only difference between the phones is that my Note 3 is LTE only, and my Note 4 is Sprint Spark.

Still curious what a network tech thinks of this. Thank you.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.