cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why sprint do not unlock iphone 5

Journeyman

Why sprint do not unlock iphone 5

Why sprint do not unlock iphone 5 for other usa gsm network even thought your contact is done ?

19 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Why sprint do not unlock iphone 5

Jammyboss

Thanks for posting on Sprint Community for assistance.

Just to be sure, we would like to gather some more info from you. Are you looking to unlock your phone to be used with a different carrier? Or were you looking to use your iPhone 5 while travelling abroad, while on an active Sprint account? Thanks in advance for the opportunity to assist you.

Ruth E

Social Care Team

Journeyman

It might be because Sprint isn't on the GSM network, they are CDMA, which means takeing an iphone from sprint and running over to at&t or the pink one wouldn't work.

It might also be because while they give the phone at a horribly reduced price, they still have to pay full price for the phone and they are trying to re-coup the cost of that and all of the other ones they've sold.

It might even be that you didn't use proper grammar in your post, but the first two are far more likely.

Be Well.

Wizard

PIETHO,

Thank you for response.  In regards to the networks’ carriers utilize this is correct.  Sprint and Verizon utilize the CDMA network while AT&T and T-Mobile utilize GSM.  They are similar but completely different networks which would cause extreme software compatibility issues.  Sprint is required to abide by all manufacturer guidelines to continue selling their devices which is only allowing the unlocking of devices for international use only.  Sprint has applied additional requirements to the unlocking for international usage to insure customers are properly utilizing our services with a device we provided to our customers especially if discounted pricing was provided.  I assure you any use of improper grammar will have no effect on the decisions or answers we reply with.

Sprint Social Care Team

David

Journeyman

I have simple question let's say i have some month left on my contract and if i pay all ETF. And than i am not bound with contract anymore . Now Will sprint unlock my iphone 5 ? so i can use for any gsm network in the USA . If the answer is NO what should i do with my iphone 5 since it's no use. I did some research verizon iphone 5 is unlock for gsm and at&t can be unlock if request . Plz explain !

Journeyman

Anybody wants to talk about this iphone 5 unlocking policy , i think sprint wants all of their customer to bound with this policy so they don't get out from their contract since iphone can't be use in USA. Sprint will have big problem coming since tmobile has iphone 5 now ! Let's see .

Journeyman

I don't buy the CDMA network thing.  The iPhone 5 is a world phone, which can be on both CDMA and GSM.  Verizon's iPhone 5 comes out of the box unlocked to use on any network even in the USA whether AT&T or T-Mobile.  I don't know why Sprint doesn't have this option also.  I've been on Sprint since 2001 and don't plan on leaving, but I find it annoying that I cannot have the option to have it unlocked for U.S. SIMs also in case I want to use something for work or someone I know needs to use my phone with their SIM.  Come on Sprint and fully unlock the phone.

Journeyman

I am looking at the box of my Sprint iPhone 5 and it states that it supports CDMA EV-DO Rev A&B (800/1900/2100Mhz), UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850/900/1900/2100Mhz), GSM/EDGE(850/900/1800/1900Mhz), and LTE (Bands 1/3/5/13/25)

It does not state anywhere that this is locked to domestic or international. From my understanding these phones while manufactur

I currently use this iPone on Sprint and my contract ends on 6-20-13, I would like to switch to T-Mobile after 7 years of being a Sprint customer. In my state 4G is not available and 3G is extremely slow on Sprints network.

I have called over 100 times to ask about unlocking and Sprint will not assist in unlocking the iPhone for domestic use.

I cannot understand why Sprint would not allow their customers who have abided by their 2 year contract to unlock their iPhones.

Journeyman

$

Journeyman

I dont think after having a 2 year contract expire it has much to do with money, when my contracts are up I am leaving Sprint even if I cant unlock my phones.

I may even pay a few contracts off just to leave early at this point.

I just think that after a contract is fulfilled whether the full 2 years or paid off the device should be considered your property and unlocking it to apples original condition before cell provider locking should be 100% supported.

Its not like I'm asking for an illegal hack, or for a way to cheat Sprint of minutes or data, I just want to utilize my property on another companies service.

Thats absurd. Whats next? Automotive companies selling cars that can only be filled with gas from a certain gas station, or that you can only take to certain cities or states?

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.