cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From the Research Desk: Why I'm blogging this stuff...

Journeyman

Blogging is a pain in the you-know-what.  However, as I've been reading more and more about how companies are tackling open innovation and striving to implement Enterprise 2.0 technologies, I am convinced that the only way we move forward is to knowledge share...freely, openly and joyfully.

Don't know if you've noticed, but we have a tendency around here to share information primarily vertically; the occasional Did-You-Know and WebIQ session are the exceptions that prove the rule.  We shoot off powerpoints up the org structure, like t-shirts shot out of a cannon at a ballgame to try and hit somebody in leadership that might notice, and give a damn, and pat us on the head or better yet, promote us.  We hoard knowledge because we believe that is what differentiates us from our peers and by which we can justify our unique contributions, when the axe man cometh.

When it is mandated that we share knowledge, we institute highly formalized forms and hand-offs, so that it is never anybody’s responsibility to simply know and to take responsibility for knowing. While there will always be a need for formal process as soon as your shop is bigger than a handful, it should be the safety net and a management tool for limited resources. It should not be a substitute for healthy, engaged, collaborative partnerships. Yet, few people strive to do more than their job description, since they see only risk and no benefit in it for them.

I would submit that if we are to survive, let alone flourish, as an organization that has to change.

So, here is my commitment to you, my fellow dot-comers.  Everything I learn or am thinking about, I will make the conscious effort to share here.  Not all of it will be useful or even particularly interesting, but you will find it here.

Some things that are shaping my thinking right now:

Gil Yehuda Book Review: Sharing Hidden Know-How.

http://www.gilyehuda.com/2011/06/21/sharing-hidden-know-how/

The Wikipedia Myth - Enterprise 2.0 Knowledge Management

http://www.slideshare.net/TSystemsMMS/enterprise-20-knowledge-management-the-wikipedia-myth-1135966

The Next Wave of Technologies: Opportunities in Chaos. by Phil Simon.

6 Comments