BlogArticlePage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey! You got your mobile in my social! Well, your social is in my mobile!

Journeyman

As you know, the arrival of a new ABI Research report with its plethora of spreadsheets is like my own personal Christmas.  If you like numbers, I cannot recommend strongly enough that you subscribe to ABI's alerts.  But if you're not a number superfreak, the reports always include an executive summary and a pdf that explains all the data.

What I wanted to share with you today is a recent report they rolled out on Mobile Social Networking.  We're all aware of the rapidly colliding worlds of social and mobile and it is a hot button topic around the company and our industry.  If you're interested in the topic Forrester and GigaOm have some nice insights as well.

Some highlights from ABI's:

• As of 2011, 554 million mobile subscribers will access one or more social networking services regularly from their mobile phones.  This represents 38% of all social networking users.  By the end of 2016, their number will increase to 1.757 billion, which will account for 69.4% of the overall user base.  The CAGR for the forecasting period is 26%
  • In 2011, end-user revenues in the mobile social networking space will total $1.111 billion, of which 51% come from virtual goods sales and 49% from advertising.  At the end of the forecasting period [2016], the total amount will be $19.790 billion, 28% of which will come from virtual goods and 72% from advertising spending, implying a CAGR of 77.9%.  This reflects the shift of advertising activities from the desktop environment to the mobile sphere.

I've attached the Executive Summary for your reading pleasure.

For those who are too young to remember the 80's and the ads I am referencing:

1 Comment