cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent Delay Receiving Text Messages

Journeyman

Intermittent Delay Receiving Text Messages

Hi, I've had this issue for a few months now. If I receive a large number of texts in a short period of time, they will get more and more delayed, starting with just a few minutes delay up to an hour or more delay. When the volume of texts is reduced, the delay disappears. This happens almost every day. Can you help me to resolve this issue? Thank you!

18 REPLIES
GrandMaster

Re: Intermittent Delay Receiving Text Messages

is it mainly happening while indoors? outside? while on a mobile network? while on wifi calling? which phone do you have? and what all have you tried so far on your side to troubleshoot this?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

It occurs both indoors and outdoors, whether I'm using mobile data or connected to wifi (I don't have my phone set up for wifi calling). I have a Motorola G5 Plus. I've tried multiple different texting apps (textra, android messaging) as well as all the different settings within those apps, I've tried resetting the PRL, I've tried a few other things that I've seen in my search for how to fix this, nothing has made any difference.

GrandMaster

is the issue with regular one on one texts, group texts, larger than average texts or pic mail? or all the above?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

All of the above, though It seems that pics and grouonesaages contribute to the delays the most. But there definitely are delays in one on one texts as well. It's a global delay - if one text stream is delayed, all text streams are delayed. So if I get a lot of messages and pics etc. say in one group chat, all of my messages whether it's in that group chat or in one on one conversations are all delayed. And the delays are shown in the text app, it shows two times, when it was sent by the sender and when I received it, minutes or up to an hour or two later when there is a heavy volume. During regular texting circumstances texts aren't delayed at all, but as soon as the volume increases the delays begin. My friends call it time warping because I'll respond to conversations that already happened!

GrandMaster

main reason im asking is group texts, pic mail and overly large texts sent/received use data..one on one texts that are not as large as a autobiography are sent using the voice side lol. so usually if its an issue with a specific one its easier to narrow down..

actually..when you send a text are you seeing a notification in the message itself when it has been read or not read? wonder if you have RCS for messaging and its boogering things up for you. how are your data speeds by the way?

Journeyman

Even very short messages in one on one texts will have the delay. I do not have the read notification, no. Data speeds are very good in general.

GrandMaster

and calls are always crisp and clear?

GrandMaster

im reading another thread created for the G5 and not seeing anything worth trying that you have not attempted so far..i know an agent sent the person a pm so im not sure if they might have done a refresh/reset on Sprints end or not since there were zero responses after that from the OP or the other person that posted in there..usually if you dont see a response its been fixed...usually..but the internal reset/refresh might be what you need.

Journeyman

Calls are pretty much always crisp and clear, yes.

Thanks for your assistance. Maybe that internal refresh is what I need to resolve the issue.

Wizard

@Mikeneufeld, how many texts are we talking about here? Are they coming from and going to the same number?

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Huntress of Pokémon and Resolutions,
Kudos and Accepted Solutions, Gotta Catch 'Em All!
Journeyman

When I receive maybe 2-3 texts over a short period of time (a minute or two) it's usually okay, but if I get 5-10 texts in quick succession or especially pics, that's when it starts getting delayed. Coming from and going to different numbers.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat