cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS not working while I'm in an active call - Samsung Galaxy S10+

Highlighted
Journeyman

MMS not working while I'm in an active call - Samsung Galaxy S10+

I've called tech support 2x and was told I should be able to send/receive MMS while in an active call on my phone. We've done the following:  factory reset, network reset, profile update, toggled VoLTE on and off, tried it with WIFI on/off and nothing is working. 

I went to a physical store and was told this is not even a thing to be able to do this.  I had this functionality with Straight Talk and I know it works with Verizon as well.

I'm being told 1 thing by the support line and another by store associates.  What gives? 

I've only switched to Sprint a few weeks ago and am disappointed I can't seem to get a straight answer.

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
GrandMaster

Re: MMS not working while I'm in an active call - Samsung Galaxy S10+

what pops up or what does it say when you attempt this?

and the S10+ is from Sprint or you brought it with you from the previous carrier?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I purchased from a Sprint store but ported my number from Straight Talk.

The message says "Currently unable to send your message. It will be sent when the service becomes available". And it sends as soon as I disconnect the call. 

Zip code 57201

Highlighted
GrandMaster

RCS in your texting app is turned on correct?

also while on said calls you are able to browse the web and such or are you running into issues there as well?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

Rich communication is enabled on the messaging app (I am using the default app). 

I cannot browse when I'm using mobile data when I'm in a call but I can when I'm on WiFi and in a call 

Highlighted
GrandMaster

im going out on a limb and thinking your VoLTE isnt on or working..its turned on correct?

Highlighted
Journeyman

It is enabled. Is it maybe just not in my area yet?  The people at the Sprint store here were baffled that I thought I should be able to do this lol.. both workers said they've never been able to send MMS while on a call. That's archaic ! 😊

Highlighted
GrandMaster

when youre on a call do you see VoLTE at the top of your screen anywhere?

Highlighted
Community Manager

I have to agree with @fireguy_6364 , it sounds like VoLTE is not turned on.  Allow me to shed some light on what is happening.  This all makes sense in my head, but kinda hard to type out.  So here it goes.

If you do not have VoLTE turned on, then your phone uses cellular for voice and data.  Given all new phones are triband phones, they have one chip and it can only do one thing at a time.  Back in the day, phones had a data chip and voice chip and they operated independently.  Today, for battery sake and efficiency, there is one chip and it can only do voice or it can do data.  It can't do both at the same time.  So if you are on a call, you are using voice and if a MMS comes through or goes out, that is data and cannot be processed until the chip stops using voice and switches to data.

If you have VoLTE turned on, everything is working over data.  The chip is doing data, the call is processed over data and MMS will be processed over data.  It sounds that VoLTE is not turned on.  So if you live in Montana/Wyoming or Puerto Rico markets, you do not have VoLTE.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi - thanks for the responses.  I can confirm VoLTE is turned on because funny thing happened this weekend.  I drove 7 miles out of town and was down in a basement. Subsequently, my phone went in to Roaming and the VoLTE indicator came on.  I was in shock so of course, I had to test - I made a phone call and while in the call I sent a message and it went through!!! Soon as I came out of Roaming, it ceased working again.  So... that leads to believe it definitely is a network issue since it worked when I was roaming on to another network.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nope! Only when I've gone into Roaming!

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

Is it that you're not able to use VoLTE at all when on the Sprint network? Also, have you ever been able to utilize the service in your current area? 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat