Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 9 I am unable to receive /send text picture messages while on WiFi

Go to solution
Journeyman

Note 9 I am unable to receive /send text picture messages while on WiFi

I did not have this problem with my Note 8 just upgraded to the Note 9

While I am on a phone call and they send me a text with a picture it gives me a grey box says download and I try to download its says failure to download media blah blah blah... I am also on wifi.  I have been to the Sprint Tech store and they actually had the gall to tell me they have no idea why it was doing this they recommend that I call into sprint. It took them an hour at the store trying  different things and still its the same I have to hang up on my phone call before the picture will download into my text screen.

My Note 8 it worked fine I just had to be on wifi in order to do the multiple task of being on the phone and receiving a picture text at the same time.

Can someone help and tell me what's going on and can I fix this?

25 REPLIES 25
Wizard

Re: Note 9 I am unable to receive /send text picture messages while on WiFi

Hey. How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting steps did they perform?

QueenK Social Care 

Be Original, Not a Copy. 
Your opinion matters! So feel free to show someand accept the solution once the issue is fixed!
Journeyman

It started since the moment I got the phone which was last week.

I don't know all the steps they tried at the store but I do know they tried other messaging apps.

It all came down to them telling me it seemed like a bug in the messaging app that hopefully they will fix sometime in the future.

Basically I have to be off the phone in order to receive picture texts or send texts with pictures.

Even if I am on wifi.

Wizard

Did you have the same issue, with the other messaging apps?

QueenK Social Care 

Be Original, Not a Copy. 
Your opinion matters! So feel free to show someand accept the solution once the issue is fixed!
Journeyman

Yes it was doing the same with the other messaging apps.

Wizard

The Note9 doesn't have the calling plus capability. This is why you can't talk on the phone and receive the picture messages (text messages). https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/services/faqs-about-calling-plus.html

QueenK Social Care 

Be Original, Not a Copy. 
Journeyman

Thanks for the information! I wish I knew this before I upgraded from the Note 8.

Well hopefully this will be something that they will add

Wizard

No problem. They're in the process of switching all phones, to voice over LTE. It will be up and running in no time. If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

QueenK Social Care 

Be Original, Not a Copy. 
Highlighted
Journeyman

I never used calling plus on my note 8 and was able to receive MMS while on the phone and connected to wifi, so I highly doubt thats the issue.  NOW on my 9 that's the ONLY way to receive MMS while talking. 

@MYCHASE11 wrote:

Thanks for the information! I wish I knew this before I upgraded from the Note 8.

Journeyman

Thanks for the info!

GrandMaster

your phone does however have wifi calling..which should fix your issue of things that need data while on a call...

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community Manager

@MzBrooks01 wrote:

I never used calling plus on my note 8 and was able to receive MMS while on the phone and connected to wifi, so I highly doubt thats the issue.  NOW on my 9 that's the ONLY way to receive MMS while talking. 

@MYCHASE11 wrote:

More than likely your MMS token is corrupt on the device and it is unable to authenticate while you are connected to wifi.  So, turn off wifi, perform a ##SCRTN# on the device.  After the SCRTN has completed, then reconnect to wifi and test MMS.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat