Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3 MMS Messages Will Not Download Over WiFi

Highlighted
Journeyman

Pixel 3 MMS Messages Will Not Download Over WiFi

I am using a Pixel 3 phone and my default messaging app is Android Messages. I am unable to send or receive MMS messages through a WiFi connection, only through a mobile data connection. Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted

Gotcha Ard! I want to make sure that all the settings have been configured properly.

Make sure Send Messages over WiFi is enabled:
Messages> Menu> Settings> Advanced> Chat Features> Enable Chat Features switched to On.

Please let me know how it goes. 

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted

I am posting here even though this thread is old -- after the update to Android 10 my sons Pixel 3a stopped sending or receiving MMS over wifi -- several calls to CS and a visit to a Sprint store have proved fruitless.  The issue appears to impacting other Android phones as well.  https://community.sprint.com/t5/Samsung/Unable-to-Send-or-Receive-MMS-over-WiFi-after-Android-10-upd...

Highlighted

Hey, @JSKoehler have you tired turning your WiFi Calling on? 

Highlighted

Yes, and also turning on the switch to allow MMS over wifi when the network is not available.  Voice and SMS over wifi work, and voice, sms, and MMS work when connected to LTE signal.  But MMS will not work when the network signal is weak, not available, or the network is turned off. 

Highlighted

Do you get any specific error messages or code when attempting to send MMS? 

Highlighted

No system message, just the word "Sending . . ." appearing below the image which eventually (after several minutes)  will be replaced with "not delivered" and a circle with an exclamation point in red. I should have mentioned earlier that the phone has the default (Google) Messages app, but I have also tried several third-party SMS/MMS apps and the same issue occurs with them (i.e. SMS send without any issue, MMS will not send).

I ran several tests with a very low-resolution photo (50KB downloaded from the wbe) as well as a high-res photo taken by the phone's camera (1.4MB).  It is clear from these tests that the MMS will not send over the wifi (that is, I ran tests with the mobile network both turned on and off, and it would not send in either case; similarly with the wifi turned off and the mobile network on, the photos will not send -- however, as the network signal at our location is poor to no signal, this is not surprising); so its not due to some limitation on image size for MMS. 

When the phone is in an area with a strong 4GLTE signal, photos on any size send by MMS without an issue.  It has been suggested that the issue is with my modem router (Cox Cable) being incompatible with the phone but just for MMS (as all other wifi functions -- including wifi calling and SMS) function normally.  However, I cannot test this under current circumstances, as I do not have access to a wifi network other than the one in my home.

Highlighted

Got it! Let me do some reviews and as soon as I have some answers, I'll be sending details. 

Highlighted

I was directed to this FAQ on another thread:

Android phones: SMS (text) is supported in Wi-Fi Calling mode. MMS (pictures and group texts) is supported on select devices in Wi-Fi Calling mode. Depending on the device manufacturer and messaging client, cellular coverage is required for MMS. For example, devices with the Android Messages client requires cellular coverage for MMS.

However, it is unclear when this became true, as many others have indicated that the issue did not arise under prior versions of the android OS.

Highlighted

From my knowledge this does not apply, if changes were made we would've been notified. But I'm seeing that your matter has been brought to the attention of our Tech team so they may have a little more insight. 

Highlighted

If we are talking strictly MMS, yes a cellular signal is needed to send/receive even while connected to wifi.  For example, you send out an MMS while on WIFI, the phone drops to cellular to authenticate who you are and to ensure your pics go to the right person.  It's transparent to you because it happens behind the scenes rather quickly.  The same goes for receiving.  You are on wifi, an incoming pic comes in, your phone drops to mobile, authenticates on our picture mail server to make sure you are the intended recipient of the pic, and then downloads.

If you are in an area with no Sprint signal or if you have mobile data turned off, you will not receive MMS or group texts, which are all MMS.  Now there are exceptions such as if you are using RCS, then that is all data and is not authenticated via MMS servers.  Instead the auth is done via Google servers.

@JSKoehler wrote:

I was directed to this FAQ on another thread:

Android phones: SMS (text) is supported in Wi-Fi Calling mode. MMS (pictures and group texts) is supported on select devices in Wi-Fi Calling mode. Depending on the device manufacturer and messaging client, cellular coverage is required for MMS. For example, devices with the Android Messages client requires cellular coverage for MMS.

However, it is unclear when this became true, as many others have indicated that the issue did not arise under prior versions of the android OS.

Highlighted

yes it is enabled. 

Highlighted

Then it goes back to service.  If you are in an area that is little to nil data coverage, then you will have issues with MMS.

@JSKoehler wrote:

yes it is enabled. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat