cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3 MMS Messages Will Not Download Over WiFi

Highlighted
Journeyman

Pixel 3 MMS Messages Will Not Download Over WiFi

I am using a Pixel 3 phone and my default messaging app is Android Messages. I am unable to send or receive MMS messages through a WiFi connection, only through a mobile data connection. Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

37 REPLIES 37
Highlighted

Are you saying the mobile data authentication and the the image downloads on WiFi?  Because that is definitely not happening.  If the phone is connected to a 5ghz WiFi and a G4 network with one bar, the image downloads on the network and takes many minutes.  The same image can download on the WiFi connection in a non message app in a fraction of a second. Of course, it may be that it’s the authentication that’s taking forever ...

Highlighted

That I'm not sure if the actual download is done at the mobile level or the wifi level.  I will have to check.  If I had to guess, only auth is done on mobile.  If you are not getting the pic or if it's not going out the auth and the subsequent acknowledgment from the device is not passing. More than likely due to poor or no service.

How it works is you I send you a pic, it is stored on the picture mail server, then you receive a notification on the device that says, "Yo, you have a pic, what are your credentials."  The device can only pass those credentials via mobile and tells the server your phone number, ESN, and NAI.  The server says it looks good and release the picture.  Your phone gets the picture and acknowledges it has it, then the pic is deleted from the server.  For all of this work, you have to have a good Sprint signal.

@JSKoehler wrote:

Are you saying the mobile data authentication and the the image downloads on WiFi?  Because that is definitely not happening.  If the phone is connected to a 5ghz WiFi and a G4 network with one bar, the image downloads on the network and takes many minutes.  The same image can download on the WiFi connection in a non message app in a fraction of a second. Of course, it may be that it’s the authentication that’s taking forever ...

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat