cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS/Chat Messaging Not Working

Go to solution
Journeyman

RCS/Chat Messaging Not Working

The Chat messaging feature that shows when messages are Delivered/Read stopped working on my Galaxy S9 Plus. This is on recipients who are also Spring customers that it previously worked on. It seems to have changed since the recent software updates that have gone out. Any ideas? I have tried clearing cache/data. Thanks!

30 REPLIES 30
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: RCS/Chat Messaging Not Working

Updates can change the settings we have in our phones. Please go into the messaging app -> there should be 3 dots on the right side -> Settings -> Advanced Messaging -> You should have an Advanced Messaging option and Share read status options. Advanced Messaging provides the read receipt on your side, share shows it on their side. 

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Journeyman

Read Receipts is turned on for all devices. The delivered/read is working for one of the recipients, but not showing me for the other.

This just means that the other person might not have it enabled, or their device doesn't support it. 

Journeyman

It was previously working when I sent messages to them and we checked that it's enabled. I wonder if we need to do a clear cache/data and PRL update on their phone like I did for mine? At first mine wasn't working for anyone that it used to. Then I followed those steps and got it to partially start working again but not for all of the people that is used to work on.

Yes I would have them try the steps you have taken. It sounds like your device is fixed. 

Journeyman

So we didn't do anything to the other device and it just started working again last night. Seems to be an intermittent issue with chat messaging because now it's not working again for anyone this morning. Smiley Sad It's getting pretty annoying. Smiley Indifferent

Oh darn! Okay so it is back to not working. Yes, it does seem to be an intermittent issue. I am going to do some more research and see if we can figure something out.

Journeyman

@InstaAnn_Sprint Any update on this? Reading through other threads, it sounds like Will mentioned he is able to verify if we are on the RCS server?  

We found clearing the cache/data and restart the device right now is our fix. We are waiting for Samsung to roll out another update to help fix this. 

Journeyman

That doesn't work that majority of the time. I also contacted Samsung and they told me that Samsung only controls how the message is received and that the provider is in charge of the RCS Server and directed me back to Sprint. Smiley Indifferent

Journeyman

Willi had me turn RCS off....clear data on messages app....turn phone off for 2 minutes...then turn RCS back on and that seems to have worked. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat