cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated 9197 Messenger's Enhanced features text message

Journeyman

Repeated 9197 Messenger's Enhanced features text message

I upgraded to a Samsung S9 2 weeks ago and I continue to get this message whenever I restart my phone, update my profile, etc.  Multiple messages each time.  How do I stop this?  It's annoying. 

11 REPLIES
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Repeated 9197 Messenger's Enhanced features text message

Hi Jen! It's been doing ever since you upgraded, correct?

Yes. 

It's basically asking you to register the Enhanced Messaging features on that Galaxy S9.  To do that, follow these steps:

Step 1: Tap on the Messages app.

Step 2: Tap on the More settings located near the top right of the screen.

Step 3: Tap on Settings.

Step 4: Tap on Enhanced messaging.

Step 5: Toggle the switch to enable Enhanced messaging.

There isn't an enhanced messages setting in the messages app on the S9. 

What messaging app are you using? The Samsung Messages app pre-installed on that phone or another one such as Android Messenger or What's App?

The Samsung app installed on the phone.Screenshot_20181204-155807_Messages.jpgHere is the main setting page.

Screenshot_20181204-155810_Messages.jpgHere is the more setting page.

I see nothing about enhanced messages. I also don't have this issue on the other 2 devices we upgraded. 

Thanks Jen! Let me continue to look into this.  The other devices are also Samsung phones, correct?

Yes. All three lines went from S7 to S9

Hey Jen, try this path to disable the enhanced messaging.  
Samsung Messenger> Settings> Chat Settings> Rich Communications Settings> Toggle Off> Powercycle your S9.  

This will disable the RCS/Enhanced Messaging features, and you should not get the that SMS going forward. 

Let me know if this works!

Except I'd like to use the features of enhanced messages. So how can I enable it but not receive so many texts? 

Highlighted

I totally understand.  Are you running the latest software version on that Galaxy S9?

Make sure your phone is up to date by going to Settings> System Updates> Tap Download Updates manually(even if the automatic download switch is enabled).

If you are, you'll want to clear the storage on the messaging app (Settings> apps>  messages> storage> Clear data). Then go back to Messages> Settings> Chat Settings> Rich Communications Settings> Toggle On> reboot phone.

Clearing the app storage and then toggling the Enhanced features back on, rebooting the phone should stop that message from coming in. 

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat