cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeated old texts for 8 years

Journeyman

Repeated old texts for 8 years

My girlfriend has Sprint. I do not. 

For about 8 years her phone has sent random texts from the past. I have screenshots of times when I’ve received 2-300 texts from her in the span of 5-10 minutes. 

Since this has gone on for so long we’ve each had multiple different phones, brands of phones, app configurations, SIM cards, you name it. It’s definitely the Sprint network because no one else I know has their phone do this to me. 

Sometimes, if she typed a long message, it will break it into multiple parts and then send each part to me 5-6 times out of order. Break a message into 10 parts.... you do the math. 

Sometimes it’s text messages from months ago. 

Sometimes its photos from months ago. 

We’ve both deleted our entire threads multiple times and I still receive messages from the past. 

Its super awesome when I’ll be out somewhere working and my phone will suddenly get 45 texts that are fragments of messages from 6 months ago, apropos of nothing. 

Also super awesome when I get a risqué photo while sitting next to my parents. 

Super extra awesome when I get something that sounds like an argument that’s not actually related to anything in real life because it was really a discussion about meeting for lunch from October, but the one text I get says something like “you know I hate them” in response to a statement about my friends, when the original text was about mushrooms or something. 

Seriously, Sprint: we can’t be the only people on earth to experience this nonsense. Does she have to switch carriers? 

12 REPLIES 12
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Repeated old texts for 8 years

Hey OldTexts. This should be something that can be sorted out for her. Does she ever have this happen with anyone else, that you know of? Has she ever reached out to us for troubleshooting? She can hit us up here, in chat at Sprint.com/Twitter/Facebook, or on our 800 number - whichever is easiest. Once we get her authorization on her account we can get some additional detail and start checking into this. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

GrandMaster

its gotta be something she is signed into that is doing this that she also signs into on each phone she has had

any carriers network is going to do the same thing..supply voice and data...not over take a phone as its hostage and force it to randomly send texts for one specific person because its bored.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

It does it to other people occasionally as well, but most often me. 

We’ve called Sprint customer service and gone into Sprint stores: no luck. Mostly head scratching and “we’ve never heard of that.” 

Journeyman

It started happening before she had a smartphone, so no. 

GrandMaster

android or apple phone? it isnt the network..or the phone since that has been changed out multiple times over the years..so its gotta be something that has access to things like texts, voice etc that she would sign into with each phone she has owned.

she isnt somehow still linked through Google Voice or something along those lines is she?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Now apple, previously android, before that some kind of flip phone. 

She really only uses her phone for voice and text and browsing, so she’s not signed in to anything weird. Again: this started happening before she had a smartphone.

To clarify: iMessages don’t do this, only texts. 

GrandMaster

so freakin weird..i have been on this site assisting for a VERY long time and this is by far a new one for me lol.

Journeyman

Ha: yeah, sounds like it’s a new one for Sprint as well. I imagine it has something to do with the way the system buffers texts, because despite using iMessage it still breaks giant imessages into multiple texts and then sends them again later. One other piece of info that I neglected to mention: if my phone dies or is out of service I tend to get way more of them when I turn my phone back on or return to service. 

Some kind of handshake problem between her phone and the cell system? 

I used to live in a place where my phone would only talk to a further tower than the one by my house because of some mess involving my phone number and issues between the Cingular and AT&T merger. 

GrandMaster

thats the thing though. if it were how the phone is connecting to the network that would have changed with each new device.

does this only happen when she is at a certain location? or does it happen when yall travel out of town as well?

Journeyman

It happens no matter where she is, but sometimes it stops for a few days and returns with a vengeance later. Doesn’t seem to be a pattern to it. 

GrandMaster

well shat..that rules out somehow being linked to using wifi or lack of signal somehow kicking something around.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat