cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS delivery delayed for messages over 66 characters from specific sender

Journeyman

SMS delivery delayed for messages over 66 characters from specific sender

I've been experiencing an unusual problem. A friend of mine recently switched to Sprint service and has a Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus. Anytime they send me a text message over 66 characters, the first 66 characters are received immediately, but the remainder of the message is received some time later. The delay is normally around 5-10 minutes, but is sometimes considerably longer. Yesterday there was a delay of 22 minutes, and then the second part of the next message was delayed 83 minutes. The second part of the message is always included with a notification "Downloading Android Message". I'm using the standard Samsung messages app and have a Galaxy S5. I'm having this problem with no other senders. 
Any thoughts regarding a solution would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
GrandMaster

Re: SMS delivery delayed for messages over 66 characters from specific sender

send yourself a long winded text and see how long all of it takes to come in..the S8 owner is more than likely using the stock Samsung texting app (unless they downloaded something else to use)...since its only happening with one particular person and ONLY when they send you texts and not vice versa i would think the issue would be on their end. they might also check out their settings in their texting app and see if they can convert longer texts into mms messages..im running Android Messages on my G6 and could have sworn there was an option in there for stuff like this..also make sure you have "auto download mms" turned on in case thats where the issue is popping in.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Hi There,

Are you operating on the latest software? 

Did you by chance clear the messages from her from before she started sending them from the new device? 

Journeyman

Thanks for replying. I do have the latest software. I am using the standard Samsung messages app and so is the sending party, although the S8 app does have a slightly different appearance than my S5. I did not clear the previous messages sent from the previous phone and provider (It was an iPhone from Verizon). 

Journeyman

Thanks for the reply. I can receive long texts both from myself and from other users. I even receive long texts from the sender in question, just not all the time. The issue is strangely intermittent. 
My messages app will send up to 6 pages of SMS texts before converting the entire message to MMS.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

It's sounds like it's an issue with your friend's phone if this is only happy when they send you messages.

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat