cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send or recieve MMS over wifi

Journeyman

Unable to send or recieve MMS over wifi

I recently switched from a Galaxy Note 3 to a Galaxy S7 Refine.

There are where I live gets spotty cellular signal at best, so I typically have to rely on WiFi calling to be able to place or make calls.

However, since switching to this new phone I am unable to send or receive MMS over WiFi like I could on my Note 3.

There's also the issue that this phone doesn't seem to support Calling Plus like the lady in the store indicated when I bought it, but that is another issue.

It doesn't matter if use my 2.4ghz WiFi network, or my 5g one or random hotspots out and about, and I have enabled the developer menu and set it to keep cell data on when connected to WiFi.

I have seem some posts online about needing to change the APN, but those options are greyed out on a stock phone, and I shouldn't have to root a phone just to get basic functionality working.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Unable to send or recieve MMS over wifi

This sounds nerve racking for you, I would feel the same way. Look up your device information. It is a Galaxy J7 Refine. Wanted to make sure I was looking at the right device. This device does not support WIFI calling or Calling Plus. So what I recommend is turning off the WIFI calling and use data. Then try sending your self a picture message. The APN does not need to be changed, as that information is programmed in the SIM card automatically.

AnnGee77
 Social Care Princess ?

?Lover of Everything Magical ?
Please give glitter coated Kudos and crown thee with Accepted Solutions.
Journeyman

Re: Unable to send orWhen I disable wi recieve MMS over wifi

If I disable WiFi calling while at home, I get 1 or 2 bars, maybe, and no data connection ( LTE or 3G), and am often not able to make or receive calls. And as previously stated, I am not able to send nor receive MMS messages since there isn't a reliable data connection.

As far as this device not supporting wifi calling, it's been working, and I was told in the Sprint store where I bought it, that it was supposed to support calling plus.

I've been a long time Sprint customer, but this is rather ridiculous that I can't even get basic functionality on a just purchased phone.

Wizard

Let's go over to a private message so I can check coverage and see if maybe there is a tower down around you. I'll see ya there.

Penguin
Social Care Rockstar
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are Welcome
Journeyman

I have the same issue with My Samsung J7 Refine and find that when messages are sent to me I cannot download, or when I send MMS messages they fail when I am on wifi. after a complete restart of the phone, I can hit resend on the MMS failed messages and after some time it will complete the send. at random the downloaded messages will show up, but not usually when I click download. this is frustrating when trying to communicate via texts. If I disable the wifi feature and goto network service only all works as it should but I start to eat into my data plan which comes quite close at the end of the month.  

GrandMaster

have you tried using a different texting app in case its more an app limitation/issue?

if not i would recommend trying the Google Messages app out.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I use the default app that came with the phone but will update after trying out the Google message app to see if anything changes. Thanks for your response

GrandMaster

no worries. Samsung usually uses their own messaging app...easiest way to rule out if its a issue with the phone that came in at some point or the app itself.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
GrandMaster

any luck?

Journeyman

so after doing much testing with Google message app, I found that it also exhibits the same issue as Samsungs default messaging app and fails to send MMS messages after a period of time after a restart. Guess I will be taking up my issue with a Sprint technician. But I really do appreciate your suggestions.

GrandMaster

carrier services app is fully up to date in your phone? also did you check the settings for any options about enhanced messaging in that Google Messages app?

Journeyman

Just for the record, that the way I "solved" this was to return the phone and get a used Galaxy S8+ instead, which worked as expected and allowed me to send MMS over data or Wi-Fi.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat