cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

curious texting issue, messages app crashes when attempting to send/respond to texts, anyone else ha

Highlighted
Wizard

curious texting issue, messages app crashes when attempting to send/respond to texts, anyone else ha

Hey all, sorry i`ve not been around a lot lately, lots going on around here lately :).  Anyway, the Google messages app recently updated to ver. 14, did the update and now i cannot send or respond to any text messages, i can RECIEVE them, just can`t SEND.  The app crashes on any attempt to send a message with the error, "unfortunately messages has stopped" and closes.  Anyone else notice this and what workarounds have you found that resolve this bug?  Filed a report with Google (not holding my breath on anything comming from that) and while i wait i thought i`d see if anyone else had seen this bug.  For info the bug is as follows.

app affected, Google Messages.

trigger, i believe this was caused by the update to version 14, which i`m thinking may have corrupted something i the app, not totally sure, but all symptons point to a corruption.

primary symptom, bug causes the app to crash on any attempt to send a text, error message returned is, "unfortunately messages has stopped." after which the app closes.

I can reproduce this bug at will, as every time i`ve Tried to send a message it wil crash, tried disabling & renabling the app (didn`t work), force stopping it (also didn`t work).  I cannot uninstall the app, so cannot veriy if that would work (too dicey anyway, so wouldn`t try it if i could). 

best advice i can give ya at this point is this, DO NOT DO THE VERSION 14 UPDATE!!  It will break your messages app and you`ll be left with a useless messaging app.  If you HAVE done the update and are now having the bug please post here, best workaroud at that point is to just move to another app (i`m switching for now to Whatsapp) untill a patch becomes availible, if ever.  Hoping Google sees my report and does try to make a patch availible, but not holding my breath.  I think i`d have better luck standing on the tracks at MKE (milwaukee, wi) station and getting hit by the #338 train (just kidding :), wouldn`t really to that).  Thanx!  TK241

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
GrandMaster

you have been MIA for so long i cant remember which phone you have lol

also (you know me well enough to know there is no way i read through ALL of what you posted lol) did you try clearing data'/cache on the app itself? odds are you will loose all texts in there but it might clear it up.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

also (you know me well enough to know there is no way i read through ALL of what you posted lol) did you try clearing data'/cache on the app itself? odds are you will loose all texts in there but it might clear it up.

Hey there, yeah, i know i haven`t been on here a lot, folks passed away and we had to deal with that, not fun.  Anyway, that is the only thing i haven`t tried yet, gonna try that next, i was just wanting to find out if i was the only one having this issue or were there more that have noticed the bug as well.  I have a Kyocera DuraForce Pro, but will be upgrading soon to a Samsung, likely a Galaxy S10 or maybe an S9, we`ll see on that, but gonna do that soon (can`t wait hehe :)), the OS on my current unit is starting to break down, and this `un`s getting what me & a sprint tech i know have dubbed "cellphone senility"  AKA cellphone alzhimer`s disease (sorry mom, my mom had alzhimer`s, that`s what finally took her nearly two years ago), anyway, i`ll give that a go and see what crops up :).  TK241.

Highlighted

update.  Just tried what you suggested (clearing the cache for the app), didn`t work, even tried clearing the app data, no joy there ether.  I`m now officially calling this a untennable bugthe other thingy i might try just for kicks is uninstalling the updates, as i think that`s where this started, might not work, but it might be worth a try.  TK241

Highlighted

@fireguy_6364 wrote:

update #3, just ran an experiment to play a hunch, uninstalled all the updates to the messages app and guess what, i was right.  the bug is in the updates, not sure which one, but that`s where the problem is. when i rolled it back to the factory version (clean install) messages worked perfectly, did the update and it went back to crashing with the "unfortunately messages has stopped" error message.  so yes, we do have a bug, and i`m now able to confidently report it out as such.  I will continue to warn against doing the lates update for the messages app untill google makes a update patch availible to fix this, and as i said initially i would like to know if anyone else has noticed this bug, if you have, please post and report it, the more that sound off the better chance i patch will be pot out to fix, as this is not good when an update breaks an app, for now the workaround is to just rool messages back to the factory (pristine) version for now, and as i warned, and wil still warn, DO NOT DO THE LATEST UPDATE!!  IT IS CORRUPTED AND WILL BREAK YOUR MESSAGES APP.  You will be unable to send any texts if the update is done, the only workaround will be to roll back to the factory version.  TK241.

Highlighted

We're glad you figured it out but wish we had a fix for that update. We'll get it reported that it's causing that issue. 

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Highlighted

most Dura Force posts will be in this forum

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Moto-Google-Essential-Others/bd-p/motogoog

i did a quick scroll and didnt see anything glaring at me in there about texts and this device...at least not so far

it could be in the current forum as well since its about texts but i didnt see anything in here either...yet.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

@Megntron_Sprint wrote:

We're glad you figured it out but wish we had a fix for that update. We'll get it reported that it's causing that issue. 

thanx, it`s going to be an issue for sure, and i`ll post this in the duraforce forum as well for those that have this unit, that way they won`t fall into this trap.  TK241.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat