Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you addicted to your phone? Let the Google Pixel 3a help. : Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

It has been amazing over these last several years to see the growth of phone addiction. Now as an employee of Sprint, I am happy to see everyone with a phone in their hand actively sucking up data and using the latest device. It is even better when these folks are Sprint customers and I would love to see even more making the switch. 

There are, and should be, limits even with the best of everything. I love some good fries but if I had full-time access to a fresh supply right at my fingertips and the ability to partake carefree throughout the day, it would not be the best of ideas to eat these unfettered. It would take just a few weeks to feel the impact. I also love being fit and riding my bike but if I were to do this every day, without any breaks and too much intensity it would eventually damage my body.  

Luckily, I am not one of “those people”.

You know, the people that are never really present when with friends and family due to being too busy scrolling social media. I am not a person that can’t go even an hour without picking up the phone to check notifications. I am not a person that wastes valuable productivity time during a day that could be spent working, playing and learning. 

Or am I? 

Thanks to the Google Pixel 3a, Android Pie, and digital wellbeing I have been able to find out and the results have been shocking. 

I now have to admit. I am a phone addict. 

What is digital well being? 

As part of Andriod Pie, digital well being is a handy feature that can be found through the settings menu and operates very much like an APP. Tap on Digital Wellbeing and you will get a circular chart with an overview of your device usage so far today. At a glance, you will see your total screen time, surrounded by the apps and functions that make up this time. You will also so the number of unlocks as well and the number of notifications. 

Want more detail? Just tap your screen and you will see each app that has been accessed in a list format indicating screen time. This not necessarily the amount of time that APP has been in use but instead, is the active time while you are interacting. This is why you could be streaming music for hours on a music APP but only have it show in this list with a few minutes. Next to each APP on your list is a little hourglass that will allow you to set limits on screen time. 

Want to see your digital life over an entire week? You will see this in a chart form at the time of the page with arrows to allow you to scroll through the past weeks. 

My results

Oh my, 3hours and 24minutes of screen time? In a single day? That number just blows my mind and indicates that I may have a problem. Thankfully there are many ways I can use digital well being to help rein in my device habit. 

The most powerful tool here at the start is awareness. Seeing the number of my daily unlocks and total screen time shows that I am eating way too many fries. It is time to shove away the tray and skip the drive-through. 

Step one--I am placing the phone out of arms reach and out of eyesight so that it will take some conscious effort to grab and unlock. 

Step two--I  have placed time limits on the top life waster apps with a 30 minute daily limit for Facebook and Twitter. 

Step three--I am using the ways to disconnect feature as well as the various notification settings to ensure there is a clear stop time to my device. 

Digital well being is an Android Pie feature that will eventually make it to other devices that have the Pie OS. Pixel 3a users are guaranteed the most up to date Andriod OS and as a result, have this feature and others before most devices. Just another benefit to the pure Google experience of a Pixel device. Screenshot_20190723-092415.png

Screenshot_20190723-152934.png

Now---time to put the phone down and enjoy some non-digital life. 

Are you a phone addict?  How do you unplug and getaway?

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee