cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Day 1 with the LG G8X ThinQ activated...

Sprint Product Ambassador

OK, so my first look at the device was more cursory without activating the device - on community here -

Now I've activated, all my apps moved over and I still have to set everything up the way I like it. That being said, I've had a day to use the LG G8X ThinQ as is without setting up my apps/screens etc.

On a side note - While activation was a cinch and restoring from google backup is very easy, it still takes quite some time to get up and running. Also during the setup process there were a couple of updates and restarts. I swap phones quite often and so while this isn’t new to me, it does become a tedious task as someone who has a lot of apps. I suppose I should have a gmail setup for just demo device activity and not my daily driver, but then I wouldn’t be true about the experience. Reading this paragraph back makes me feel like a whiner lol. Woe is Me, Woe is me....

Anyway, my first day with the LG G8X ThinQ/ Here’s what I’ve seen/learned so far.

1. I am not 100% sure what I’m going to do with both screens yet, but I’ve already figured out that I can turn the phone on its side and use the 2nd display as a keyboard to type messages on the main screen. I also learned that in order for this to work you have to use the native LG Keyboard app. It doesn’t work with G-board. That being said, swiping on LG’s keyboards have always been pretty good and using the keyboard in this manner has been pretty cool. I do however miss the integration of gif and bitmoji keyboards.

2. Taking Pictures. I found out accidentally while taking a picture of the sunrise this morning that the preview of the picture you just took shows up in full screen glory on the 2nd screen. I Love this. Now I don’t have to review the picture to see how it came out and decide if I need to take another. Instead I can look at the 2nd screen and say – yep, I captured it just right, or no I didn’t.

3. Selfie’s with friends. - OK, this is technically not a selfie, but using the selfie camera. Let’s say you want to take a picture of your friend, but he/she/they always want to look at the picture you took and have you retake it over and over. Well, this device allows you to open the case all the way up – wrap the dual screen all the way around the back 180% and put the phone on selfie mode. Then you can aim the selfie camera at them so they can see the picture, and you can press the shutter button and see the subject on the dual screen facing you. Basically, it’s a mirror for the person you’re taking a picture of to see what they look like while you’re taking the photo. I have to mess with the megapixel options (8MP by default, but I understand can go up to 32), but I think it’s a great feature and will come in handy.

4. Battery, I’m not sure about this yet. Starting with 100% at 5:30 in the morning and still receiving app updates and such. I caught up on some emails, read a few texts etc. Then I listened to an audible book while jogging for about 80 minutes (audible always kills my batteries). Also stopped andtook some pictures along the way. The pics came out great by the way – I’ll share later. Anyway, I showed off the device to a friend, sent and received a bunch of text messages and set up google authenticator. All this with dual screen on. I haven’t done a ton of mullti-tasking, and the battery is at 62% at 2:55PM. However, charging seems slow, especially after using the Note 10+ which charges extremely fast and like a champ. It’s possible the phone itself will charge quicker plugged in with the USB-C rather than charging with the dual screen using the magnetic attachment. I’ll report back on this though. – Anyway, I made it through the day. I used Google Maps for about 2.5 hours with Bluetooth in the car, and Spotify playing. About another hour or so of surfing before turning in for the night at 11PM – 16% left. I think that’s adequate considering it’s powering 2 screens from 5:30AM ‘til 11PM. We'll see how things go with regular daily use now that all the apps are installed and updated.

5. Tips – few things I’ve figured out:

1. If you want to use the dual screen as a keyboard – make sure you place it with the main screen on the table and the dual screen up (using the main phone as the keyboard). I found when trying to use the phone as the screen and the dual screen as the keyboard I’d have the volume buttons and assistant key hitting the table and I’d end up summoning the google assistant accidentally.

2. If you want to move something from one screen over to the next, swipe with 3 fingers on the screen with whatever you’d like to move towards the other screen.

3. LG PAY! LG Pay is here and it’s wonderful – Operates everywhere even with old magstripe machines. I thought Sammy owned the rights to this capability, so not sure how they’ve done it, but they have. It’s not necessarily as refined as Sammy with the membership card images, but allows you to take photos of your cards and use them that way. Pretty cool. Also, you get $10 when you sign up (at time of writing anyway).

4. Gray Scale – I love it. It’s great for nighttime reading and for books/magazines etc. Just pull down from the top notification bar and you’ll see the option there.

5. The fingerprint scanner - though it sets up my print fast and easy, I can't get it to recognize my print to unlock the phone. Could just be dry hands... will continue to test.

I am sure I will learn some more as I go along.

One thing to mention again… if you’re going to carry it in your pocket, don’t forget your belt 😉.

Dual Screens in Action - Weather on one and App drawer open on the other

Post image

Post image

Post image

Post image

Post image

Taken with LG G8X ThinQ - Point and shoot, no filters

Post image

Taken with LG G8X ThinQ - Point and shoot, no filters

Questions/thoughts about the LG G8 ThinQ? Anything you'd like me to share? Ask away!

Rick

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: I am super lucky to be able to take part in the Sprint Device Ambassador program. The Product Ambassadors love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of  devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassadors shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint or the device manufacturers. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. My opinions are my own. I am a Device Ambassador and Blogger... I am not a Corporate or Device Manufacturer spokesperson. #SprintProductAmbassador 

#LG #LGG8x #LGG8XDualDisplay #DualDisplay #ThinQ 

1 Comment
Wizard

I find it interesting and annoying that every review on the site on this phone shows the Dual screen cover, but when ordering the phone, one has to go through a third party to get it later. It doesn't seem to come with the phone regardless of online or in-store purchase. I wanted to get this as a secondary phone on my account, but you only get half of it now and the other half 7-8 weeks later.