cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Pixel 4: XL or Not XL

Sprint Product Ambassador

One of the fun parts of being part of a Product Ambassador Team is when there are different flavors of devices to try out. This time around, we got to choose between the Pixel 4 or Pixel 4 XL. I chose the Pixel 4, mostly since I like smaller devices usually – but also since I like to be different from my team.

But when out using this phone, or talking about it – people as why I didn’t go XL? So I wanted to know – why should I have gone XL. My teams answer was “Slightly bigger screen” and “slightly bigger battery”. Okay, so is the $130 extra full price for the XL just “slightly more”? Was it worth it?

Let’s review the specs:

Pixel:

• Battery information : 2800 mAh non-removable battery
  • Dimensions : 68.8 X 147.1 X 8.2 mm
  • Display : 5.7" FHD+ flexible OLED at 444 ppi
  • Memory : Internal Memory: 6GB RAM / 64GB (BL or WT) or 128GB ROM (BL)
  • Operating system : Android™ 10.0 (Q)
  • Processor : Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 855
  • Talk time : 23.8 hours
  • Weight : 5.71 oz (162g)

Pixel XL:

• Battery information : 3700 mAh non-removable battery
  • Dimensions : 75.1 X 160.4 X 8.2 mm
  • Display : 6.3'' QHD+ flexible OLED at 537 ppi
  • Memory : Internal Memory: 6GB RAM / 64GB (BL or WT) or 128GB ROM (BL)
  • Operating system : Android™ 10.0 (Q)
  • Processor : Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 855
  • Talk time : 30.7 hours
  • Weight : 6.81oz (193 g)
  • M3/T4 Hearing Aid Compatibility : Yes

Memory, OS and processor are all the same, but there are a few “slight” things that would make the XL worth it: Having 7 more hours of talk time, the battery is indeed a bit stronger too. But as someone who is hearing impaired and wears hearing aids – very interested in the Hearing Aid Compatibility. I haven’t yet synced up my hearing aids with my phones – seems a bit “Cyberman” from Doctor Who for me – but interesting to know I could. Here are more details: https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/9393002?hl=en

So, if you need that extra bit of talk time or the larger screen – then the extra $5 a month MRC would make sense for you. Currently: Pixel 4 is listed at $799 full price or $15 a month lease versus $929 full price or $20 a month lease for the Pixel XL. So really up to you if you want to be “slightly” bigger!

* Disclaimer: The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee.