cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V60 ThinQ Dual Screen - More Power Than I can Handle

Sprint Product Ambassador

LG V60 ThinQ Dual Screen - More Power Than I can Handle

battery.jpg

LG has gifted us an amazing phone, but I was not convinced that the 5000 mAh battery could last the entire day on straight use with a Dual Screen connected. I wanted to see how long the device will hold up to constant use and how long can the screen remain on before the battery shuts off. It has been proven you never want to run your phone dry this will effectively cause the lithium ion battery to degrade faster and hold less of a charge.  

Just a little background if you did not know Lithium-Ion (Li-ion) batteries are not like their predecessor the Nickel-Metal-Hydride. These old-style battery's developed memory over time. Meaning charge it half way, use it, then charge it again. It will not be able to fully charge again. Luckily the Li-ion never have this issue, but they are still battery's and there is a right and wrong way to keep them optimally charged and happy. 

Per https://batteryuniversity.com state that there is a "sweet zone" to keep the longevity of battery going. Small partial charges are better than a full drain and charge on a battery wear and tear.  But trickle charges used too often can cause more harm to the battery's and should not be used all the time. Keeping the battery charged between 60 and 75 percent is optimal but it is okay to run between 25 and 75 percent. Try not to keep your phone plugged in while at 100 percent as it may try to continue to discharge/charge constantly which in turn will degrade the battery's performance over time.

NEVER charge your phone while using intensive applications like watching movies or playing graphic intensive games as this will cause mini-cycles/parasitic load to occur. "A parasitic load confuses the charger by depressing the battery voltage and preventing the current in the saturation stage to drop low enough by drawing a leakage current. A battery may be fully charged, but the prevailing conditions will prompt a continued charge, causing stress." Extreme cold and high heat can also reduce optimal charging. Best way to charge your phone is when the phone is turned off. This way the charger can regulate the voltage necessary to charge your device properly. 

Now on to the good stuff how did my phone handle the day. To test this, I did not just want to have the screen on and nothing happening that will not work. I need to have something that is using screen time. I decided to watch TV the whole day from my phone and I do not mean messing with channels or changing streams. I mean turn on the phone and leave the channel playing for as long as the phone can handle it. in order to play on both screens i had to use both HDHomeRun to stream live over-the-air TV to my phone and PlutoTV. My current settings were as followed: no battery saver, brightness was set to 65%, WiFi, Data, GPS, Bluetooth, NFC are all on.

IMG_20200614_162128.jpg

I used AccuBattery application to help track my battery's usage. I wanted to see what the application states through its algorithms how long it believed my battery would last. Per its assumptions it states that my phone would be able to last 5 hours with the both screens on and 24 hours with the screens off. I began the test, starting at 04:22 PM and phone reached 14% at 10:18 PM. The screen on time was recorded at 6h16m with a discharge occurring around 12.9%/hr. By 10:49 PM I was at 9%. Screen on time was 86% usage at 6h47m and discharge rate was now at 12.7%/hr. I was able to get over 7 hours of use with both screens running at the same time. much better than I anticipated for sure.

Screenshot_20200614-224958.pngScreenshot_20200614-225007.pngScreenshot_20200614-225038.png

I recharged my phone and began my single screen test. Same experiment this time I only used HDHomeRun. I started the next test at 07:39 AM. By 12:05 PM I was at 70% charge with Screen on time being at 29% and running at 4 hours and 10 minutes with a discharge rate of 6.9%/hr. At 7:00 PM my phone was at 10% charge. Screen on time was 89% usage with 11 Hours and 58 Minutes used running a discharge of 8.0%/hr. Total usage is well over 12 hours. 

Screenshot_20200615-120508.pngScreenshot_20200615-190005.pngScreenshot_20200615-190039.png

Next test involved the charger to see how long a FULL charge would take on the quick charge adapter. Initial connection Fast charge stated would take 1h33m to fully charge. I started the charge at 7:02 PM. By 7:34 PM my phone was already at 50% charge with an estimated 1 hour left to go. At last check 8:11 PM it was at 85% with 30 minutes left to go. 

Screenshot_20200615-190206.pngScreenshot_20200615-193422.pngScreenshot_20200615-193443.pngScreenshot_20200615-201125.pngScreenshot_20200615-201136.png

Final test involved 1 last charge and letting the device run with the screen off and minimal usage to really see how long the battery lasts. I was able to obtain 108h37m or 4.5 days of standby time.  

Screenshot_20200620-212156.png

Through my testing with single screen usage ranging near 12 hours and dual screen with 7 hours of constant screen on time this was good enough for my needs.  With the combination of screen on and off I have been happily getting a good full day worth of use. If you add in power saving features/techniques this battery can probably last you a good week with minimal usage. Remember to not over charge and try to hit the sweet spot charge of about 60-75 percent and your battery will surpass the odds of failure and last longer. 

Enjoy and remember never use your phone or tablet while driving, be safe and healthy.

Check out some of my other blogs on the LG V60 ThinQ:

The-Dual-Display-you-know-you-need-LG-V60 

Disclaimer:
        The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee

6 Comments
GrandMaster

the single screen tests...were these done while still connected to the second screen case or removed?

Sprint Product Ambassador

@fireguy_6364 the single test was done with only the phone and no second display attached.

GrandMaster

nice. always enjoyed your breakdown on new devices..firing mine up here soon..not gonna lie..the second screen deal is almost overwhelming and i  havent even used it yet lol.

Community Manager

ACTIVATE THE PHONE ALREADY!!

GrandMaster

i was waiting for you to get off vaca before pestering you with it lol..

Community Manager

I'M BACK!!!