cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Caption on the Google Pixel 4 and 4XL. Sprint Product Ambassadors

Sprint Product Ambassador

In 2020, I am working to reduce distractions and increase the efficiency of my learning. I recently started using an amazing Pixel exclusive feature that is helping with both. Live Caption. 

What is Live Caption and what does it do?

Wouldn’t it be great if while listening to a podcast if you could also see captioning of the text? Why? The visual element of the words is an important help for your brain if trying to increase the retention of the content. Converting the voice of a podcast to text also comes in handy if you may have forgotten headphones and want to see the words without sound. 

How do turn the feature on?

Easy, just press the volume key and at the bottom, a small square will be present. Tap the square and once the block line is gone the feature is activated. When in use, you can reposition the caption bar by tapping and holding it. You can also expand the caption bar with a simple double-tap. Don’t want to see the text? Just drag the box down and dismiss. 

As you can see from the menu I have captured in the screenshots provided, there are some great options to customize the experience by blocking profanity and showing sound labels. A key thing to notice here is the “more languages coming soon” as that is indicating a future enhancement to incorporate Google Translate into the feature. Wouldn’t that be amazing? 

Screenshot_20200103-141234-COLLAGE (2).jpg

Live Caption currently does not officially work when playing music or for phone calls. However, I have seen the text pop up somewhat sporadically when playing music through Spotify. Live Caption also seems to be a little bit of a work in progress as the text is not 100% accurate and there can be a delay. Regardless, it is an innovative feature that I am sure will be of good use for many people.

Have you used it yet?  

The Product Ambassadors are Sprint employees from many different parts of the company that love technology. They volunteer to test out all sorts of Sprint devices and offer opinions freely to the Community. Each Product Ambassador shares their own opinions of these devices, therefore the information in this post does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Sprint. The PA's do not represent the company in an official way, and should not be expected to respond to Community members in an official capacity. #sprintemployee